Old 22-07-2006   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

Tip: Taking ink off a disc to write on again

Just a little bit of nail polish remover on a tissue will take the ink off a disc so you can write on it again. It doesn't hurt the disc either. But, Don't forget to rinse the disc off under running water before you write on it again just to be on the safe side. Just a tip I thought you might want to know.
taylor30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Tip: Taking ink off a disc to write on again

I wouldn't do this myself as nail varnish remover is basically acetone, a vigorous solvent.
You were lucky to get away without damage to the topcoat varnish used on the discs.
Old 22-07-2006   #3
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedougie
I wouldn't do this myself as nail varnish remover is basically acetone, a vigorous solvent.
You were lucky to get away without damage to the topcoat varnish used on the discs.
acetone free nail polish remover is widely available.

not sure if it's the acetone that removes the ink or some other ingredient in the remover, but there are actually few removers these days that contain acetone (or at least any substantial amount of it)

around here you can only get 100% acetone at beauty supply shops in like gallon jugs.
Old 22-07-2006   #4
MyCE Resident

For any nail varnish remover to work it is a varnish solvent. The coating on the top of disc's is similar to nail varnish so........
Old 22-07-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

i would definitely not recommend this on a CD as the writable layer is JUST below the label, but on a DVD it's probably safe as there's a layer between. this is why scratches on the label side of dvds aren't a big of a deal as scratches on cds.
Old 23-07-2006   #6
CDFreaks Resident

It doesn't remove ink written on the DVD. I think if you're cheap enough to apply nail remover to the DVD then go for it. I would definately not recomend it. Buy a new DVD or use RWs as a test.
linx05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006   #7
CDFreaks Resident

I'm no chemist, that's for certain, but I believe most nail polish removers, if not acetone, are some variety of petroleum distillates; as weedougie pointed out...hence the term...solvent. I'm not sure about this though...being a 57 y.o. male...I confess that I've been lax on my nails...

Reasons makes an excellent point re: the actual physical structure of a dvd, but yikes!...I'd be damn careful.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Last edited by Dee; 07-08-2006 at 15:29. Reason: cleanup
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineman
I'm no chemist, that's for certain, but I believe most nail polish removers, if not acetone, are some variety of petroleum distillates; as weedougie pointed out...hence the term...solvent.
this is correct. i just wasn't sure if there was something unique about acetone in particular that weedougie didn't want near his dvds or if he was averse to all items that can take the finish off of a coffee table
Old 23-07-2006   #9
MyCE Resident

Hmmm. I don't think acetone is a petroleum distillate. I think you can buy it in quart cans at Walmart. Probably at hardware and paint stores also.

Alcohol will remove sharpie ink from some shiny smooth plastics very quickly. When I tried it on one of my DVD's it was much slower. Maybe because the disc had a matte surface.
steve b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by linx05
It doesn't remove ink written on the DVD. I think if you're cheap enough to apply nail remover to the DVD then go for it. I would definately not recomend it. Buy a new DVD or use RWs as a test.
i don't think it's an issue of being cheap or not. I've made some mistakes where I've written the wrong movie title onto a dvd that i backed up (had two burn processes in the ImgBurn Queue and placed the wrong disc in the wrong drive and ended up having spiderman on a disc that says underworld and underworld on a disc that says spiderman...it happens.

and it's a pain in the ass to reburn them (and i don't like the way it looks crossed out!)
Old 23-07-2006   #11
CDFreaks Resident

Hi steve b,

Not trying to start a war here, but I don't believe anyone said acetone is a petroleum distillate. It is a potent solvent however, and will rapidly breakdown cyanoacrylate (Superglue, aka Dermabond, used in superficial laceration repair)...that I do know. Will probably also strip furniture as reasons said...

Anyway, I didn't know about alcohol removing sharpie ink off a dvd...thanks for the tip. Actually, I never tried...I don't write on rw media and the few times I've screwed up...I crossed out...

@Reasons
Yes reasons, I know your sense of aesthetic balance has been horribly and cruelly injured...

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Last edited by maineman; 23-07-2006 at 02:49. Reason: Added comment
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006   #12
CDFreaks Resident

You might try Brasso. I use it all the time to repair scratched used discs that I purchase from rental places so if it don't ruin the side that is read, it will not ruin the label side. Also great product to clean many plastics. They now list plastic on the label because since became available people have been using it on plastic.

Mack

Find missing DVD or CD drives download CDGONE and Disable Auto Run Click Here
Media Info: Click Here
To understand DMA and how to lock it click Here

The more problems that I have to deal with; the more I learn Clicking on Search or Searching on Google will not cause your computer to explode That is just a rumor
bigmacnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006   #13
CD Freaks Die Hard

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the cdf Chemistry Threads?

I just use 91% alcohol and never had a problem. Like if I missspell the title or write the wrong aspect ratio ... the 70% alcohol doesn't clean as well (deep?).

But I don't use Sharpies ... too much petrol. I get the real DVD markers from Staedtler, the "Permanent" Lumocolor markers. Most art supply stores can order them if they don't stock them. They come in different colors and tip widths.
http://www.staedtler.com/home_gb.Sta...?ActiveID=2131

Whisperer
Whisperer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006   #14
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisperer1
I just use 91% alcohol and never had a problem
i find that if i pour margaritas on my dvds they disappear altogether...or is that if i pour margaritas down my throat? hmm...
Old 24-07-2006   #15
MyCE Resident Old Fart

Location: Diehard Old CDFreak Lurking In The Back Of Your Mind

Yo-

I have been writing on CD-R and DVD media for the past10-12 years with Sharpies - and have never had a coaster because of the Sharpie (some of the dumb $hit I did - but not the Sharpies)-eh!

(Y) <- - - (a tribute to *someone*)

Brayden & Lil Burnits Proud Cyber Grampie - 'CERCA, TROVA' - 'NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM'

Work Computer = ZT Systems i7-2600 CPU w/32GB DDR3-1333 G. Skill Ripjaws X RAM/ Win7 Pro-sp1 /Crucial M500 480GB SSD @ SATA3 /Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB Workstation HDD @ SATA3 /Corsair 650 watt PSU /Pioneer BDR-2207 as BD burner /Lite-On iHBS-112-04 as Reader/Ripper and BD Disc Quality Tester /Dell 27 inch S-IPS monitor w/LED backlight /XFX Radeon HD6870 w/2GB GDDR5RAM /Ashampoo Burning Studio 2012 /DVDFab 9

Burning Computer = HP xw8400 workstation w/ Two Xeon 5160, dual core, 3.0 mhz CPU's w/ 16gb PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM /Win7 Pro-sp1 /Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD /Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb w/64mb cache HDD /Corsair 850 watt psu / Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Burner and Disc Quality Tester /Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Reader/Ripper /ATi Radeon HD 5770 w/1gb GDDR5 Ram Videocard /HP 24" LCD /Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 /DVDFab 9

On The Shelf: (1) Benq 1640, (1)BenQ 1640 @EW168, Pioneer (2) 115D, (3) Optiarc 7200A, Optiarc 7260A, Asus DRW-24b1ST
bigmike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006   #16
New on Forum

There is a debate among the "experts" about whether DVDs should be written on at all, even with magic marker. There are those who declare DO NOT LABEL YOUR DVDs! Supposedly, the ink or adhesive will leech into the DVD and corrupt the data within, say, three years.

Others claim that it's no problem, go right ahead.

I just mention this for informational purposes.
thomconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006   #17
MyCE Resident

I have used sharpie markers since the debut of dvd x copy platium. I still have DVD's and CD's that I burned and it's been 5+ years no issues yet. The scary thing is some of that DVD media is the old memorex 4X write discs,,,,,,,,,,,
Dr. Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006   #18
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomconn
There is a debate among the "experts" about whether DVDs should be written on at all, even with magic marker. There are those who declare DO NOT LABEL YOUR DVDs! Supposedly, the ink or adhesive will leech into the DVD and corrupt the data within, say, three years.

Others claim that it's no problem, go right ahead.

I just mention this for informational purposes.
for the reasons i stated above, i'd worry MUCH more about CDs succumbing to this than DVDs, but overall, it doesn't seem like a real-life concern.

it's probably something that is statistically significant in testing, but translated to practical usage doesn't degrade the disc very much faster than a non-labeled disc.

I also think that it is partially a marketing ploy...have you seen how expensive those specialized "cd/dvd markers" are?!

i'm not saying they're JUST out to make money as I do believe the POSSIBILITY exists for the ink to degrade the disc, but as I said before, I don't think it's as big a deal as they'd like you to believe, and I'd worry about CDs before I'd start worrying about DVDs.
Old 25-07-2006   #19
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike7
Yo-

I have been writing on CD-R and DVD media for the past10-12 years with Sharpies - and have never had a coaster because of the Sharpie (some of the dumb $hit I did - but not the Sharpies)-eh!
Agreed there, me too.

The one thing I wouldn't do is apply those sticky labels to any of my media, be it CDR or DVDR - lost too many CDRs back in the day by doing that to ever chance it again.

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #20
CD Freaks Junior Member

I've never tried erasing ink on any disks but, I wounder if those Mr. Clean erasers would work. I've used them on a lot of stuff at home with my kids. It erases everything and hasn't distorted or wrecked anything.
BikerDude420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #21
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor30
Just a little bit of nail polish remover on a tissue will take the ink off a disc so you can write on it again. It doesn't hurt the disc either. But, Don't forget to rinse the disc off under running water before you write on it again just to be on the safe side. Just a tip I thought you might want to know.
tsk-tsk-tsk-tsk!

You better have a good lawyer !

Don't ever *EVER* attempt to do this on printable surface CDs/DVDs.
greg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #22
Dee
Senior Administrator and Reviewer

Please keep the posts on topic.

MyCE SSD Reviews

To become a member of MyCE.com just click here to join
The Forum Rules | The SSD FAQ | The NEC/Optiarc F.A.Q. | Liggy & Dee's NEC/Optiarc Firmware Page
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007   #23
New on Forum

I just found this vid showing how dry erase marker will remove sharpie:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/702022...rker/?logout=1

I find that after using a paper towel to remove the ink, using another with alcohol does a pretty good job cleaning up, not perfect, but doing it all a 2nd time after the alcohol dries cleans it up pretty nicely. This is on a textured surface, thinking a smooth surface would clean up even easier.
Efdizk is offline   Reply With Quote