Old 31-10-2007   #1
New on Forum

Lightscribe Internal Error - Plz Help

Hi all.

I've been getting a "An Internal error has occurred" every time I attempt to burn a label. This will happen any time throughout the burning process, but has been happening the majority of the time near halfway through the burn. I've tried nearly everything I can think of. I'll list what I've tried below.

1) Installing latest LS update (1.10.16.1)
2) Reinstalling updates, drive, and labeling software.
3) Using different labeling software (Usually use SureThing, but have tried Nero and SureThing Deluxe Trial)
4) Checked to make sure cables are connected properly.
5) Tried two different brands of lightscribe discs (HP and Verbatim)
6) Shut down a a few programs that might have been interfering with LS (like PowerDvD)

I'm probably forgetting something, because I've been trying to figure this out for a while. I used to be able to burn LS labels fine on my older HD that's now used for storage, however I booted back into it and it wouldn't let me burn from it any more either.

I'm using the HP DVD840x and have download the latest firmware, but it says "drive mismatch when I attempt to use the installer. HP lists the 840x under the dvd840i, but it should still work.

Basically the LS diagnostic tool says there's nothing wrong with LS and it's functioning correctly and the LS control panel USUALLY detects the drive, but I get into the process of burning a LS label and 99.8% of the time will get this error:

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and let me know what other info you might need.

:::EDIT:::
These are the process that are usually running when I'm attempting to burn
Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

Embedded Images

Also, I've upgraded to the latest Nero software even though I've been using SureThing Labeler 4 SE Lightscribe edition.
rxmorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Lightscribe Internal Error - Plz Help

Odds are good that this is a hardware issue, like a dying LS drive.
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #3
New on Forum

That's what I was afraid of. This drive is not even a year old. I'm very disappointed considering it's an HP product, which are usually reliable (they have been for me at least). I read some where that the LS feature in these drives usually start giving people trouble within 25~50 burns. I doubt I've even burnt 15 since I've had it though...however it it does still burn data/media just fine (knock on wood).

Well, I do like the LS feature when it works and with the darker labels they look even better so could someone recommend a quality LS DVD RW drive that's reliable and will last?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2007   #4
New on Forum

Actually, this looks like a good buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135156
Old 01-11-2007   #5
New on Forum

Ok, so apparently my LS drive isn't dieing on me. I took it out and installed it into a 'lower class' computer with only installing it with SureThing and the new LS update (1.10.16.1) and to my surprise it actually worked. I burnt 3 labels in a row successfully. Well besides two discs that it didn't want to recognize, but it didn't recognize the same two disc while in my pc either so I guess it's safe to assume those are bad LS discs. I will buy Verbatim next...I hear they're more compatible anyway.

Now...to figure out why it gives me an Internal Error on my computer and burns fine on the other...my guess one of these processes or programs running is interfering with it....??
Old 01-11-2007   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmorph View Post

Now...to figure out why it gives me an Internal Error on my computer and burns fine on the other...my guess one of these processes or programs running is interfering with it....??
Standard troubleshooting steps would apply. Assuming this is an IDE drive, be sure that the IDE controller is using ONLY the default MS drivers, no 3rd part drivers like VIA or Nvidia.
Old 01-11-2007   #7
New on Forum

Thanks for your reply, CDan. Yes, the drive is IDE and it is using the default MS drivers...or so it appears to be. This is what you're referring to isn't it?
Embedded Images

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2007   #8
Retired Moderator

CDan was referring to the drivers for your IDE controller (not for your DVD burner) and from your picture it can be seen that you are using NVIDIA nForce4 drivers instead of Microsoft drivers.
Old 01-11-2007   #9
New on Forum

Ok, thanks for clearing that up DragMester. I thought I was probably looking at the wrong thing, but I do see what you're talking about now. Without possibly screwing something up, how exactly would I go about changing the IDE controller drivers to MS drivers?
Old 01-11-2007   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmorph View Post
Ok, thanks for clearing that up DragMester. I thought I was probably looking at the wrong thing, but I do see what you're talking about now. Without possibly screwing something up, how exactly would I go about changing the IDE controller drivers to MS drivers?
Making sure you have the IDE controller, and not a SATA or RAID controller, right-click and select "update driver". Tell it to choose from a list and look for something like: "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" in the list. That's what you want. Reboot and you should now see that same entry in device manager instead of the Nvidia one.
Old 01-11-2007   #11
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDan View Post
Making sure you have the IDE controller, and not a SATA or RAID controller, right-click and select "update driver". Tell it to choose from a list and look for something like: "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" in the list. That's what you want. Reboot and you should now see that same entry in device manager instead of the Nvidia one.
Thanks. I've changed it and will try it out asap and let you all know how it goes.
Old 04-11-2007   #12
New on Forum

Well, I've successfully burned one label with the new controller. However I did luck out once or twice with the old controller, but changing it seems to have helped. Thank you both again for your help in assisting me with this problem. I'll let you know if there's an issue with the next label...whenever I burn another one

Thanks
Old 29-01-2009   #13
New on Forum

I'd like to thank CDan for this solution as i've been having the same problem with lightscribe, albeit with a couple of SATA DVD's.

I'm pleased to say that installing the Windows drivers rather than the nVidia ones has been successful for me also...
vividmc is offline   Reply With Quote