Old 05-11-2005   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

Best printer for printing on CD's/DVD's ?

What's the best printer for printing onto CD's and DVD's ?

By best, I mean

- quality of print
- smudgeproof/waterproof print
- speed of print

Since I also want to use this for normal text documents, graphics and mixed text/graphics, it should also produce good quality documents.

Last edited by BussyB; 02-04-2010 at 12:03. Reason: test
Defenestration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #2
Retired Moderator

Re: Best printer for printing on CD's/DVD's ?

Might help to know where you are at. In the USA, you have only one option....Epson. Unless you are willing to pay double for a UK version of the Canon Pixma printers.

There is no such thing as waterproof injet ink, if you want permanence you need a spray-on finish like clear acrylic.

The Canons are far cheaper to operate than Epson by most accounts, especially if you plan to refil tanks. Consider doing a search here for "printer", this topic has been well covered.
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

I'm in the UK.

Regarding waterproof ink, I thought the Epson DURABrite ink was wateproof since it's pigment based instead of dye-based (whatever that means ) ?

With this type of ink the print is apparently raised off the paper a bit (ie. you can feel it)

I have to say that I do like the reviews of the Canon Pixma range, with the added bonus they that do duplex printing as standard. Which Pixma would you recommend ?
Old 05-11-2005   #4
CD Freaks Junior Member

Ideally I would like to get the NEC 4551 with LabelFlash, and 16x DVD-RAM burning. This wouold be my ideal drive......
Old 05-11-2005   #5
Retired Moderator

I use both the Pixma IP3000 and IP4000, both are fine printers. The 4000 would be my choice for photos, or if I had to choose just one.
Lightscribe (and Labelflash) are pretty worthless for most uses, and very expensive. Mainly just gimmicks with limited use.
Old 05-11-2005   #6
CD Freaks Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I will probably just go ahead with the 4550 purchase and get a Canon printer. I might get a multi-functional printer with scanner/copier and possibly fax.

What would be equivalent to the iP4000 but as a multi-purpose ?
Old 17-11-2005   #7
CD Freaks Junior Member

Is it best to print on DVD's before or after burning them (or doesn't it matter) ?
Old 17-11-2005   #8
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestration
Is it best to print on DVD's before or after burning them (or doesn't it matter) ?
If you're sure the burn will be a good one, it doesn't matter. Some folks like to verify a good burn before expending the ink for the print. But whether the disc is printed or not does not impact the burning process.
Old 07-09-2006   #9
New on Forum

Hi there,

I am currently using Epson Stylus photo R200 that does dvd/cd's and it does a pretty good job but at times it doesn't show the picture that you are trying to print very well I mean for example I just print a label of the game Far Cry which is 5 cd's anyways, the cd's did not come out as clear as it should've been and the ink is only at 1/2 point on all 6 cartridges.. And I've done everything that you can even think about for cleaning them... and its still not helping at all.. So I was wondering if anyone in here knows on what is another good printer that also prints dvd/cd's? I'm not really worried about the price or anything I just want the best printer that does the job the best way possible..? I've also been told that Canon's printers have where when you change the ink it also changes the cartridges as well is this true and what other printer company does that and also prints dvd/cd's?

Can anyone please help me out with this problem please..

I'm totally fusterated and I don't know on what to do please help!!!!

Thanks
DJChad25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #10
Banned

I own an U.S. Canon IP5000 PIXMA printer and have engaged the CD/DVD tray option. The trays are being sold on EBay for about $35.00 us dollars (a rip but necessary if you ask me) and works like a charm. All you have to do is go to Google and look up CD/DVD printing on the IP5000 and you will see a forum for the instruction on how to reprogram the printer. The U.S and European printers are constructed the same, the U.S. just never installed the logic for tray printing. I have been using this to print about 400 inkjet printable DVD's with great results. I use Nero label creator with the axis set to what the forum said to put it to (it will take some tweaking for different discs) and bam perfect results every time. If you have any questions please let me know @ jmaccool2@hotmail.com.
jmaccool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #11
MyCE Resident

Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)

Canon Pixma iP5000 works just fine (all inclusive here in Europe)
I use CD-LabelPrint

BTW, this technology is so fast, cheap and simple I don´t know why anyone would bother with paper labels or Lightscribe.
Newer models are now out so check...
A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #12
MyCE Member

I prefer Epson for true duplication of color.
I also have Canon i900D, but it always prints with a heavy pink overtone, which is especially noticeable with biege and fleshcolors.
moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #13
New on Forum

Okay, what is another brand in printers that are the best and also does printable dvd's & cd's ? besides Epson & Canon....
DJChad25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #14
CD Freaks Senior Member

I've been using ip4200..just like many others..its economical and good quality..as well as being fast.
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #15
New on Forum

Original Ink or ??? I heard IP4200 use uncrackable chip. Is it true ?
sg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008   #16
New on Forum

Best printer for printing on CD's/DVD's ?

I too am searching for the "BEST" printer for CD's and DVD's.
I need it to be pretty good quality but the price of the printer is important as well as the price of the ink.
Ink can eat you out of house and home, so to speak.
I have checked out the the Epson RX595 but am worried about the ink usage.
Any help would be appreciated.
I am not sure I can install the CD tray in a Canon and calibrate it but am willing to do what I need to to get the BEST print for the best cost.
ctalley316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008   #17
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctalley316 View Post
I too am searching for the "BEST" printer for CD's and DVD's.
I need it to be pretty good quality but the price of the printer is important as well as the price of the ink.
Ink can eat you out of house and home, so to speak.
I have checked out the the Epson RX595 but am worried about the ink usage.
Any help would be appreciated.
I am not sure I can install the CD tray in a Canon and calibrate it but am willing to do what I need to to get the BEST print for the best cost.
WOW, old thread!

There's lots of information in this forum to read up on. Yes, the Epsons are serious ink hogs and the ink is expensive, though compatibles are around.
The Canon is very easy to mod for disc printing, and the IP4500 is a terrific printer all-around. Buy the tray on eBay from either the seller in SanFrancisco or the one in Denver, and it will come with a CD of instructions on how to do it. If you follow the instructions correctly, it takes about 10 min, then you install the driver and software and you are good to go.
Old 26-08-2008   #18
New on Forum

Thanks so much.
I am looking at the Canon Pixma MP970 (All in One)
Do you think that would do what I want out of it?

Do you know if the instructions work for a Mac?
Old 26-08-2008   #19
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Thanks so much.
I am looking at the Canon Pixma MP970 (All in One)
Do you think that would do what I want out of it?

Do you know if the instructions work for a Mac?
Best single source of info is HERE. Use with a MAC will depends on software and drivers.
Old 26-08-2008   #20
New on Forum

Thanks for your help.
I will go order the CD/DVD tray right now.
Old 27-08-2008   #21
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Thanks for your help.
I will go order the CD/DVD tray right now.
You might want to inquire, when you order the tray, if the 970 needs feed rollers. Some do and some don't, and they just snap right in. They work without them, but it's smoother with them. I think the 970 will have them already, but I'm not certain.
Old 06-10-2008   #22
New on Forum

If you decide to go Epson I use a RX595 and it does WONDERFUL work, I use it for Photo as well as CD/DVD printing, Also, you can get a "Bulk Ink System" for Most Epson models. My printer was 129$ and the Bulk Ink was about 70$ (This was for a Pre-Loaded INK System) then you can just order bottles of ink when you need to. At this time I have printed over 250 CD/DVD and Tons of photos and am still using the ink that came pre-loaded in my Bulk System. Check it out.

http://www.supertobuy.com/continuous...ers-p-604.html
That is the ink system I use with the RX595
Torrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009   #23
New on Forum

I am using the Epson Stylus PhotoRX680 model. It does a great job. Very satisfied with the results.
Thermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009   #24
MyCE Junior Member

Hi all, what would u guys go with today Epson Artisian or which epson? ( I've been told older models r better, which older model would u go with if it can be found and which one up to date would u go with?) Sane with Cannon ( up to date model and older maodel if it can be found?) Will I be able to get a CIS System for them and tray? Thank You for your time.
VGA: HIS Radeon 4850 512MB GDDR3 (H485F512P)
PSU: Apevia Warlock ATX-WA750W (ATX-WA750W)
CD/DVD:Pioneer 20XDVD+- Burner Sata(DVR-216DBK)
HD: (Sata1 OS)WD Raptor 150GB (WD1500HLFS)
HD: (Sata2 Storage)WD Cavair 640GB(WD6400AAKS)
Case: Thermaltake Strike MX Mid-T (VI6001BNS)
kirdog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #25
MyCE Junior Member

Does anyone have any new updates on what is good uptodate?
indianagent is offline   Reply With Quote