Old 15-01-2012   #26
RWP
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota - USA
Posts: 564
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

It now appears that Canon have finally introduced several inkjet printers capable of direct-to-disc (DTD) printing into the USA market! Prior to this (as most of you already know, but for the benefit of newbies), for a US resident to get DTD capability from a compatible domestic Canon printer they had to buy a disc tray (sometimes a roller kit too) and flash the printer's firmware to the UK version. So the only alternatives in the USA were Epsons (most recently the Artisan series, but it appears these are now out of production with a short supply at 2x-3x the normal price) and a few HP models that generated many user complaints about leaving roller marks/scratches on the media. Or else you could spend $1,000 - $4,500 plus for a Primera or some other professional disc printer that was overkill for anything other than mass production of the same label. Or frequent thrift stores looking for older Epson and modifiable Canon DTD printers still in decent shape... (most aren't and even the decent ones are always missing the disc tray).

So it is welcome sight seeing three current Canon DTD models available in the USA.

ip4920
MG5320
MG6220

Although Newegg hasn't had these long enough to generate many user reviews, other sites like Amazon do have quite a few user reviews and the majority are favorable -- at least in terms of crisp text and good photo printing performance. Most reviewers are not interested in disc printing, but the few who are stated the DTD print quality was very good. The only gripes concerned lack of operation documentation and the need to close/reopen the tray guide and wait for the printer's prompt before loading the tray for the next print cycle. I don't know if this is merely a function of Canon's CD print app or they all do that. (Accoustica disc printing software lists these printers as supported models, haven't checked any others so far.)

Time will tell if these new Canon DTD printers will carry on the tradition of good print quality and long print head and printer life. Too bad the carts used in all Canon printers since the ip4500 era were reduced in ink capacity by about 20% - 30% and so far, according to my searches, there aren't any CIS kits or refillable carts available. However, supermediastore does sell compatible carts for this line of printers at very low prices and most user reviews are favorible. You can also refill your OEM carts fairly easily with various refill kits available, quality USA Precision Colors brand ink, and reset the chip with an affordable resetter.

So, if this series of Canon printers turn out to give decent DTD printing performance, it will good news for many of us running out of usable older Epson and modified Canon printers -- at least until Epson releases another DTD model...
RWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012   #27
Moderator
 
deanwitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The 10th city outside the 2nd City, U.S.
Posts: 2,698
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Before anyone runs out to grab one of these new Canons for disc printing, we've already had one member reporting problems with that here. It sounds like the all-to-common pigment black ink disc print hassle many others have had over the years around here with other printers that use it. No feedback from that OP yet, so I certainly don't know how big a problem it might be. But as a rule, you will usually not get good results with a pigment black printer and glossy printables at the least.

There are lots of aftermarket carts and CISS on the cheap available for these already.
__________________
Currently installed for testing: Lite-on DH20A4P-04(9P54) + Sony Optiarc AD-7200A(1.Z3) x2 "You want WHAT? OK, I can do that". + AD-7200S(1Z2) + AD-5280-CB-PLUS(1.Z7) + BenQ DW1650(BCIC) + BenQ DW1640(BSLB) x2 + Lite-on iHAS324-08 A(BL1H) + Asus DRW-24B1LT@iHAS424(ZLC1) + Asus DRW-24B1ST@iHAS324(BL1H) + Plextor PX-760A(1.03) + LG BD-RE WH10LS30(1.00) + Lite-on iHES208(8LOC) + Sammy SH-BO83L(SB01) + Pioneer BDR206(1.05) + Lite-on iHBS112-29(CLOK) + Pioneer BDR-205(1.12) + LG WH12LS39(1.00) + Lite-on iHBS212@Plextor PX-LB950SA(1.02)
deanwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012   #28
RWP
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota - USA
Posts: 564
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Thanks for the info about a possible problem with Canon's use of pigment black on discs. My recollection was everyone had great results printing discs with the ip4500, which also used pigment black.

Perhaps there is a setting to shut off the pigment black such as 'high-quality photo' or something like that? I don't suppose photo paper likes pigment ink either so there must be a way to choose dye based ink only for any Canon printer that claims to print photos. But I wonder if there is a photo printing (ie - pigment-free) option offered when the target is set to disc instead of photo paper? OTOH, surely Canon is aware that printable discs don't take pigment well and would have compensated for that?

At any rate, this is all speculation on my part since I do not currently use a Canon disc printer and can't personally test these theories...
RWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012   #29
Moderator
 
deanwitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The 10th city outside the 2nd City, U.S.
Posts: 2,698
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWP View Post
Thanks for the info about a possible problem with Canon's use of pigment black on discs. My recollection was everyone had great results printing discs with the ip4500, which also used pigment black.

Perhaps there is a setting to shut off the pigment black such as 'high-quality photo' or something like that? I don't suppose photo paper likes pigment ink either so there must be a way to choose dye based ink only for any Canon printer that claims to print photos. But I wonder if there is a photo printing (ie - pigment-free) option offered when the target is set to disc instead of photo paper? OTOH, surely Canon is aware that printable discs don't take pigment well and would have compensated for that?

At any rate, this is all speculation on my part since I do not currently use a Canon disc printer and can't personally test these theories...
All those possibilities went through my head as well . That is why I tried to make it a very tentative caution. Wish I had a chance to work it out with the member and discover if it is easily resolved. Hopefully Canon did avoid this problem which HP never seemed to care enough to work out.
__________________
Currently installed for testing: Lite-on DH20A4P-04(9P54) + Sony Optiarc AD-7200A(1.Z3) x2 "You want WHAT? OK, I can do that". + AD-7200S(1Z2) + AD-5280-CB-PLUS(1.Z7) + BenQ DW1650(BCIC) + BenQ DW1640(BSLB) x2 + Lite-on iHAS324-08 A(BL1H) + Asus DRW-24B1LT@iHAS424(ZLC1) + Asus DRW-24B1ST@iHAS324(BL1H) + Plextor PX-760A(1.03) + LG BD-RE WH10LS30(1.00) + Lite-on iHES208(8LOC) + Sammy SH-BO83L(SB01) + Pioneer BDR206(1.05) + Lite-on iHBS112-29(CLOK) + Pioneer BDR-205(1.12) + LG WH12LS39(1.00) + Lite-on iHBS212@Plextor PX-LB950SA(1.02)
deanwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012   #30
MyCE Resident
 
Dartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,942
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Well I guess all this info explains why I thought the disk prints from my Epson R800 just didn't look as snappy as the ones my cheap R200 made, though it does do nice photo prints.
It uses pigment ink but does have photo black so maybe it secretly uses dye based ink for photos, don't know.
I do know it is out of ink and most of the knockoff carts and refillable ones use dye based ink so been trying to find a kit that uses pigment ink like the originals as that was a big selling point for this thing when I got a good deal on it as a factory refurb.
I might just try one of the dye based cart systems then I can always upgrade to pigment refills as they run out. I still have the R200 with the carts Dean recommended and they work great, he does have some carts for the 800 but they are also dye based so don't know what to think or do now and I'm broke anyways and have other printers that work.
Dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012   #31
RWP
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota - USA
Posts: 564
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

I had originally been planning on buying one of Canon's new DTD printers (see this post) but while shopping at my local OfficeMax store I saw a disc printing Epson Artisan 730 AIO on sale for $99. This Epson series appears to be better supported for CIS systems and I already liked them for having stationary ink cartriges instead of the typical printhead mounted type. This was the only merchant I'd seen selling an Artisan series printer at a decent price as it seems this series was discontinued at least several weeks or more ago. Plenty of ebay scalpers had them too, but at 3x the price... So $99.99 from OfficeMax seemed a very good deal and I bought it. (Even though I still have 5 used but functional Epson R-200/R-220's; one each new in box R-280 and ip4500; and a used ip4200 -- all DTD capable printers... must have a fear that someday a supply of consumer grade DTD printers might evaporate and I'll have to buy a $1,000+ pro autoprinter that uses overpriced/under-performing Lexmark carts. )

Here are my first impressions of the Artisan 730 AIO after a few hours of use:
(And there's a good chance I'll post a more thorough review with pictures at a later date.)

The 730's footprint is 17.5" W x 18" D (3" of that is rear overhang for the document flipper that could project past the desktop surface in the desktop-to-wall gap in a limited space scenario) x 6" tall (Really short! Could probably fit on a 14" deep x 18" wide shelf if you didn't use the scanner/copier.)

It has a cool feature (as do the DTD Canon AIO's) of scanning a CD or DVD disc label design and simultaneously printing that design to a printable disc! Makes it very easy to label legal backup copies of your favorite discs and the whole operation (including scanning, automatic disc tray position calibration and printing) takes just a few seconds more than 2 minutes. This function works totally independant of a computer connection, too.

So far I have not tried any disc printing on this Artisan 730 via a PC but see no reason why that would be significantly diffrent unless I chose an ultra high-quality photo finish or low-quality draft mode. There are similar print quality settings available in the AIO's own menu, too, but I chose the default mid settings and was pleased with the results. The inner/outer print limit settings were also easy to set from the AIO's settings menu.

Printing these CD disc labels to TY Silver Hub-Printable Inkjet CDR 800's via the AIO's integrated disc label copy with default print quality settings, I found the print quality on par with any other decent DTD print on non-gloss printable media. The colors were not as bold, but there is no way an inkjet disc print can compete with silk screening -- especially when printing to silver printable discs. White printable would probably show much more contrast and I'll try some next review. But suffice to say that on these silver printable discs the print quality was every bit as good as the best I've seen from any of my Epson R-series (R-200/R-220) printers, with the additional benefit that the 730's prints were virually dry to the touch immediatly after printing! (Which is a good thing considering how difficult it is to remove a fresh print form the Artisan's disc tray -- more on that issue later.)

I also tried some prints to typical copy/print letter sized paper (via my PC with a Word document) and was fairly impressed how crisp and saturated the text and graphics were with no pigment black ink like the Canon's use. While the Canon's certainly give sharper, blacker text, I wouldn't hesitate to use this Epson to print an important report to plain paper. Only a diehard printer freak would notice the difference.

I've read horror stories about the Artisan series printers using up a large amount of their supplied ink with the initial priming of the ink lines to the print head. But according to the ink level monitor display both in Windows and also the AIO's own LCD display, the ink levels for all six tanks is showing full. We'll see how ink consumption progresses from this point-on though... wouldn't be surprised if they made a firmware change to hide the intial priming ink consumption and it will jump from full to 1/2 full very soon.

I have mixed feeling about the integral disc drawer, though. While it hopefully solves the funky positioning and error message issues prior Epson external disc trays had, it is mostly obstructed by the overhang of the hinged printer main control panel. There is at most 2" clearance (and in one area 1 1/4" clearance) between the tray and the underside of the fully raised control panel. Loading the disc isn't too difficult and I give Epson credit for making the tray's disc center hole retention hub easy to center the disc on and be assured it is correctly located. However, once the disk drawer ejects after printing, it is quite difficult (for me anyway) to remove said disc without touching the printed side or leaving a fingerprint on the data side.

Perhaps with time I'll discover a hand position that works better, but trying to remove the disc as the owners manual sketch shows doesn't work if you have knuckles and your fingers are in a mild arch position in pickup mode. But at least the ink is dry enough not to leave a finger mark and a fingerprint can always be wiped off on the other side... If this is a trade-off for no more tempermental disc tray operation as in previous Epson printers, then I suppose it is the better option. But hopefully the next series of Epson DTD printers will have an easier to access disc tray.

Overall and so far, my impressions of this AIW are favorable. It fits very well in my edit suite, has a professional appearance, runs quietly, seems to print discs faster than my Epson R-series printers, the disc label ink drys super fast, it prints decent looking text and graphics to normal paper, and if I find a CIS for it with well designed carts and a quality ink that prints as well/dries as fast as OEM ink, to keep the ink costs much lower -- then I think this printer will be a winner. This Artisan model 730's many user reviews indicate it doesn't seem to suffer from most of the many user-reported issues that plagued the Artisan 50, so I'm reasonably optimistic it will give me at least a few years of good service.

I'm still considering buying one of the new DTD printing Canon printers as soon as one is on sale, and will certainly do a review here on it if/when I do. I don't mind the concept of a separate disc tray (which the Canons still use) if it operates reliably. At least you can place and remove the disc from the tray easily.

Last edited by RWP; 18-01-2012 at 20:39.
RWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012   #32
Moderator
 
deanwitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The 10th city outside the 2nd City, U.S.
Posts: 2,698
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

The Artisans can give you quite a bit of bang for your buck at under $100.00. I think you'll find that cranking up the saturation and contrast a little on the Arty will make a big difference with silver printables. That was the case for me.

I had a moment of trepidation with unloading/loading the tray as well . Try taking the disc out by placing your thumb on top of the disc and spreading your index and middle fingers and gently place them against the underside edge of the disc(right at the edge) and lift out. No fingerprints. Gets easy pretty quick.

Your experience sounds like mine with the 800. All around just gets it done very well. I may be able to steer you towards a very well-behaved CISS for the Arty's. Tried several, only one was completely free of hassles. Here is the best way by far to route the hoses on that printer. That's not the CISS I'm using. Ignore the CISS sellers that would have you cut a piece of plastic out of the front and run the hoses out the front . I would advise that whatever CISS you go with, avoid those with half-height cartridges. Don't seem to deliver quite enough ink pressure at the print heads and you end up running a cleaning cycle if you don't print with it for a few days.
__________________
Currently installed for testing: Lite-on DH20A4P-04(9P54) + Sony Optiarc AD-7200A(1.Z3) x2 "You want WHAT? OK, I can do that". + AD-7200S(1Z2) + AD-5280-CB-PLUS(1.Z7) + BenQ DW1650(BCIC) + BenQ DW1640(BSLB) x2 + Lite-on iHAS324-08 A(BL1H) + Asus DRW-24B1LT@iHAS424(ZLC1) + Asus DRW-24B1ST@iHAS324(BL1H) + Plextor PX-760A(1.03) + LG BD-RE WH10LS30(1.00) + Lite-on iHES208(8LOC) + Sammy SH-BO83L(SB01) + Pioneer BDR206(1.05) + Lite-on iHBS112-29(CLOK) + Pioneer BDR-205(1.12) + LG WH12LS39(1.00) + Lite-on iHBS212@Plextor PX-LB950SA(1.02)
deanwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012   #33
RWP
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota - USA
Posts: 564
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Thanks for the useful tips and links to CIS supplies/info. I normally buy my ink and supplies from Precision Colors and the owner informed me the firmware in the 730 was an updated version and his CISS would not work with it. However, I have found a few online sites (including one you linked to) selling CIS setups they claim will support the 730... Guess I'd try one of them out with an advance guarantee they'd take it back if it didn't work. Not too crazy about the Chinese ink the vast majority of CISS sellers offer though. Precision Colors uses only ink from the USA.

If I go with CISS for the 730, I might not grind away plastic but instead bypass the lid switch and leave a gap for the ribbon tubes -- at least for the short term. Not ready to void the warranty just yet.
RWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012   #34
Moderator
 
deanwitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The 10th city outside the 2nd City, U.S.
Posts: 2,698
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWP View Post
Thanks for the useful tips and links to CIS supplies/info. I normally buy my ink and supplies from Precision Colors and the owner informed me the firmware in the 730 was an updated version and his CISS would not work with it. However, I have found a few online sites (including one you linked to) selling CIS setups they claim will support the 730... Guess I'd try one of them out with an advance guarantee they'd take it back if it didn't work. Not too crazy about the Chinese ink the vast majority of CISS sellers offer though. Precision Colors uses only ink from the USA.

If I go with CISS for the 730, I might not grind away plastic but instead bypass the lid switch and leave a gap for the ribbon tubes -- at least for the short term. Not ready to void the warranty just yet.
Nothing wrong with Precision colors ink. Just ran into problems when I tried to use it in CISS. Maybe that has changed. Had some worries about Chinese ink myself. Don't know if the ink is China or German sourced in the CISS I linked to. Just know its been very well-behaved in a few of my Epsons, characteristics similar to the original. Bumped the brightness up a bit with the CISS ink as the black seems a bit darker. Makes for nice contrast. Your call.
By all means use the magnet relocation trick at first. Taped mine to the sensor prong rather than try to get it just right in the slot as a few people seem to be recommending. You really don't need to grind the plastic off . Grab the thin plastic with pliers and twist and snap only as much as is needed off. Honestly looks so clean that way you'd never guess anything had been changed .
__________________
Currently installed for testing: Lite-on DH20A4P-04(9P54) + Sony Optiarc AD-7200A(1.Z3) x2 "You want WHAT? OK, I can do that". + AD-7200S(1Z2) + AD-5280-CB-PLUS(1.Z7) + BenQ DW1650(BCIC) + BenQ DW1640(BSLB) x2 + Lite-on iHAS324-08 A(BL1H) + Asus DRW-24B1LT@iHAS424(ZLC1) + Asus DRW-24B1ST@iHAS324(BL1H) + Plextor PX-760A(1.03) + LG BD-RE WH10LS30(1.00) + Lite-on iHES208(8LOC) + Sammy SH-BO83L(SB01) + Pioneer BDR206(1.05) + Lite-on iHBS112-29(CLOK) + Pioneer BDR-205(1.12) + LG WH12LS39(1.00) + Lite-on iHBS212@Plextor PX-LB950SA(1.02)
deanwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012   #35
RWP
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota - USA
Posts: 564
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwitty View Post
Nothing wrong with Precision colors ink. Just ran into problems when I tried to use it in CISS. Maybe that has changed. Had some worries about Chinese ink myself. Don't know if the ink is China or German sourced in the CISS I linked to. Just know its been very well-behaved in a few of my Epsons, characteristics similar to the original. Bumped the brightness up a bit with the CISS ink as the black seems a bit darker. Makes for nice contrast. Your call.
Precision Colors is new to the CISS business but I've had such good results with their Canon and Epson bulk inks and refillable compatible carts, I assumed their CIS setups would be well-tested/proven before release... but maybe not enough.

I believe the vast majority of bulk ink and especially pre-filled CIS systems come with Chinese ink and much of the time it performs well. But now and then we read horror stories about bad batches that range from poor performance to ruining print heads. Too bad there aren't more (or any?) CISS sellers using ink from other parts of the world from manufacturers with solid reputations for quality and consistancy. But, the CISS sellers probably can't resist the simplicity and higher profit margin of importing a complete, prefilled Chinese CISS package when most of the time it will perform as desired.

Oh well, at least I have some time to consider my options since my ink tanks all still indicate full status...

Thanks again for all the advice!
RWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #36
Moderator
 
deanwitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The 10th city outside the 2nd City, U.S.
Posts: 2,698
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWP View Post
Precision Colors is new to the CISS business but I've had such good results with their Canon and Epson bulk inks and refillable compatible carts, I assumed their CIS setups would be well-tested/proven before release... but maybe not enough.

I believe the vast majority of bulk ink and especially pre-filled CIS systems come with Chinese ink and much of the time it performs well. But now and then we read horror stories about bad batches that range from poor performance to ruining print heads. Too bad there aren't more (or any?) CISS sellers using ink from other parts of the world from manufacturers with solid reputations for quality and consistancy. But, the CISS sellers probably can't resist the simplicity and higher profit margin of importing a complete, prefilled Chinese CISS package when most of the time it will perform as desired.

Oh well, at least I have some time to consider my options since my ink tanks all still indicate full status...

Thanks again for all the advice!
You're welcome. Can also use a hack-saw blade/razor knife to notch the boundaries of the area of plastic ridge you wish to remove before snapping off with pliers to make it as clean as possible.

My curiosity got the best of me and I ordered that CISS from Precision colors. I'll give it a road test and hopefully be able to give you a review before your carts run low .
__________________
Currently installed for testing: Lite-on DH20A4P-04(9P54) + Sony Optiarc AD-7200A(1.Z3) x2 "You want WHAT? OK, I can do that". + AD-7200S(1Z2) + AD-5280-CB-PLUS(1.Z7) + BenQ DW1650(BCIC) + BenQ DW1640(BSLB) x2 + Lite-on iHAS324-08 A(BL1H) + Asus DRW-24B1LT@iHAS424(ZLC1) + Asus DRW-24B1ST@iHAS324(BL1H) + Plextor PX-760A(1.03) + LG BD-RE WH10LS30(1.00) + Lite-on iHES208(8LOC) + Sammy SH-BO83L(SB01) + Pioneer BDR206(1.05) + Lite-on iHBS112-29(CLOK) + Pioneer BDR-205(1.12) + LG WH12LS39(1.00) + Lite-on iHBS212@Plextor PX-LB950SA(1.02)
deanwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #37
RWP
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota - USA
Posts: 564
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwitty View Post
My curiosity got the best of me and I ordered that CISS from Precision colors. I'll give it a road test and hopefully be able to give you a review before your carts run low .
Thanks!

Almost returned the printer yesterday because it was unable to properly feed paper from the bottom (and only) paper tray. It would pull 2-3 sheets at once and skew them diagonally through the feed rollers. I checked to make sure the paper was properly loaded and the side and end stops were properly adjusted -- it was already properly adjusted. Was using decent grade 20# multipurpose paper that runs fine in my other printers. Then it began working correctly as mysteriously as it had malfunctioned... go figure.

Otherwise I like the printer. It does everything my 3-year old Canon MX 700 AIO does only faster and quieter -- especially the scanner. And of course my MX 700 doesn't print to discs... Pretty impressed with the Artisan's black text quality considering it only has dye black ink. I always preferred Canon's use of pigment black ink for text but the Artison does better than I expected in this regard.

Good luck with that Precision Colors CISS and hope it works out for you.
RWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #38
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Red Bank, NJ
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWP View Post
Thanks!

Almost returned the printer yesterday because it was unable to properly feed paper from the bottom (and only) paper tray. It would pull 2-3 sheets at once and skew them diagonally through the feed rollers. I checked to make sure the paper was properly loaded and the side and end stops were properly adjusted -- it was already properly adjusted. Was using decent grade 20# multipurpose paper that runs fine in my other printers. Then it began working correctly as mysteriously as it had malfunctioned... go figure.

Otherwise I like the printer. It does everything my 3-year old Canon MX 700 AIO does only faster and quieter -- especially the scanner. And of course my MX 700 doesn't print to discs... Pretty impressed with the Artisan's black text quality considering it only has dye black ink. I always preferred Canon's use of pigment black ink for text but the Artison does better than I expected in this regard.

Good luck with that Precision Colors CISS and hope it works out for you.
I have been using Epsons for quite some time for direct to Dvd/Cd label printing, the most success I have had has been with the Epson R280, have using replacement ink from Amazon, cannot think of the merchant, but replaced about 4 X already, over 1 1/2 Yrs, still going strong,( I back-up an average of 6 movies per week). I also have the Canon 4920 that works fine after you figure out how to use the Cd/Dvd program. Is very slow if CD/Dvd is your main goal. Also have a R220 in the wings that I have not used in a while, still works. Have a Ciss for the R280 , am working up the courage to install it, hate to mess with something that is working,
durkinjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #39
RWP
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota - USA
Posts: 564
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkinjt View Post
I have been using Epsons for quite some time for direct to Dvd/Cd label printing, the most success I have had has been with the Epson R280, have using replacement ink from Amazon, cannot think of the merchant, but replaced about 4 X already, over 1 1/2 Yrs, still going strong,( I back-up an average of 6 movies per week). I also have the Canon 4920 that works fine after you figure out how to use the Cd/Dvd program. Is very slow if CD/Dvd is your main goal. Also have a R220 in the wings that I have not used in a while, still works. Have a Ciss for the R280 , am working up the courage to install it, hate to mess with something that is working,
Thanks for the info about slow DTD printing with the 4920. I had been considering getting one or the AIO above it. My primary concern was user reports about having to close and reopen the disc tray slot between prints. I'm sure that contributes to the slowness.

Good to hear the R280 has been a good DTD printer so far for you. Read a bad review for one here in another thread, but I have a new one still in the box that I've been saving for such time my other DTD printers fail.

Today I just went though my inventory of thrift store used R200s/R220s and a R320 that I keep in storage but clean/test every year or so to make sure the print head hasn't clogged. These series of Epson printers seem to last a long time with minimal maintenance. Out of five of these printers, three still had a perfect nozzle pattern after over a year of storage while the other two had some clogged nozzles but showed great improvement after a few clean cycles. However, they were running low on ink so that's good enough for me. Once they get full carts at such time they are sold or placed in service the remaining clogged nozzles should clear.
RWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #40
Moderator
 
deanwitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The 10th city outside the 2nd City, U.S.
Posts: 2,698
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWP View Post
Thanks!

Almost returned the printer yesterday because it was unable to properly feed paper from the bottom (and only) paper tray. It would pull 2-3 sheets at once and skew them diagonally through the feed rollers. I checked to make sure the paper was properly loaded and the side and end stops were properly adjusted -- it was already properly adjusted. Was using decent grade 20# multipurpose paper that runs fine in my other printers. Then it began working correctly as mysteriously as it had malfunctioned... go figure.

Otherwise I like the printer. It does everything my 3-year old Canon MX 700 AIO does only faster and quieter -- especially the scanner. And of course my MX 700 doesn't print to discs... Pretty impressed with the Artisan's black text quality considering it only has dye black ink. I always preferred Canon's use of pigment black ink for text but the Artison does better than I expected in this regard.

Good luck with that Precision Colors CISS and hope it works out for you.
IF the paper feed problem doesn't appear to be related to the occasional pack of paper you can get that exhibits pages not separating easily due to a blunt cut, you may wish to swap it it for another at the store you purchased it from. Don't want to get stuck with a slight defect. My 800 has never given me trouble with plain paper. One inexpensive 8 1/2x11 photo paper I like to use can give me that problem, not so tough to run them 1 sheet at a time till I use them up. I'm quite hooked on the photo/graphics/text all-around good quality it manages at very nice speeds. And that scanner . Definitely not a stripped-down add-on. Quick and very accurate.
__________________
Currently installed for testing: Lite-on DH20A4P-04(9P54) + Sony Optiarc AD-7200A(1.Z3) x2 "You want WHAT? OK, I can do that". + AD-7200S(1Z2) + AD-5280-CB-PLUS(1.Z7) + BenQ DW1650(BCIC) + BenQ DW1640(BSLB) x2 + Lite-on iHAS324-08 A(BL1H) + Asus DRW-24B1LT@iHAS424(ZLC1) + Asus DRW-24B1ST@iHAS324(BL1H) + Plextor PX-760A(1.03) + LG BD-RE WH10LS30(1.00) + Lite-on iHES208(8LOC) + Sammy SH-BO83L(SB01) + Pioneer BDR206(1.05) + Lite-on iHBS112-29(CLOK) + Pioneer BDR-205(1.12) + LG WH12LS39(1.00) + Lite-on iHBS212@Plextor PX-LB950SA(1.02)
deanwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012   #41
RWP
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota - USA
Posts: 564
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwitty View Post
IF the paper feed problem doesn't appear to be related to the occasional pack of paper you can get that exhibits pages not separating easily due to a blunt cut, you may wish to swap it it for another at the store you purchased it from. Don't want to get stuck with a slight defect. My 800 has never given me trouble with plain paper. One inexpensive 8 1/2x11 photo paper I like to use can give me that problem, not so tough to run them 1 sheet at a time till I use them up. I'm quite hooked on the photo/graphics/text all-around good quality it manages at very nice speeds. And that scanner . Definitely not a stripped-down add-on. Quick and very accurate.
Originally, I only bought the Artisan 730 for DTD printing and the low price. I already had a Canon AIO that works flawlessly for all general printing and copying tasks. And I prefer the Canon's more traditional direct paper path from the rear hopper to the output tray in front... I didn't realize before buying that the Artisan AIO actually tightly turns then flips the paper coming from the bottom paper supply bin before printing so it can be a low profile multifunction printer. I could see that being a problem with smaller sheets of photo paper that might develop a curl from such a tight turn.

In another forum I recently read an interesting post written by the owner of Precision Colors about ink smudging issues with Artisan printers caused in part by the tight turn the paper makes. It's too late for me to return the Artisan to OfficeMax because they only have a 14-day return period for "technology items" and I probably wouldn't have anyway unless the paper feed problem persisted or the DTD part developed a problem. As long as the DTD feature (and scanner too) work well I'll be satisfied. Didn't buy it for multifunction duty and my Canon AIO still works great for everything else...
RWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012   #42
MyCE Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 139
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Any CISS vendor recommendation for Epson Artisan 50 ? My understanding is the Epson Artisan 50 is better than the Epson Artisan 730 is all areas of printing ? If not, I rather get the Epson Artisan 730 since it is all in one and is $30 cheaper than the 50 right now. Suggestions ?
dvdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012   #43
Moderator
 
deanwitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The 10th city outside the 2nd City, U.S.
Posts: 2,698
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdit View Post
Any CISS vendor recommendation for Epson Artisan 50 ? My understanding is the Epson Artisan 50 is better than the Epson Artisan 730 is all areas of printing ? If not, I rather get the Epson Artisan 730 since it is all in one and is $30 cheaper than the 50 right now. Suggestions ?
The seller I linked to earlier sells one for the 50. Why would you be thinking 50 over 730? What will be your primary uses for it? I have seen a few of the usual complaints about disc tray glitches with the 50.
__________________
Currently installed for testing: Lite-on DH20A4P-04(9P54) + Sony Optiarc AD-7200A(1.Z3) x2 "You want WHAT? OK, I can do that". + AD-7200S(1Z2) + AD-5280-CB-PLUS(1.Z7) + BenQ DW1650(BCIC) + BenQ DW1640(BSLB) x2 + Lite-on iHAS324-08 A(BL1H) + Asus DRW-24B1LT@iHAS424(ZLC1) + Asus DRW-24B1ST@iHAS324(BL1H) + Plextor PX-760A(1.03) + LG BD-RE WH10LS30(1.00) + Lite-on iHES208(8LOC) + Sammy SH-BO83L(SB01) + Pioneer BDR206(1.05) + Lite-on iHBS112-29(CLOK) + Pioneer BDR-205(1.12) + LG WH12LS39(1.00) + Lite-on iHBS212@Plextor PX-LB950SA(1.02)
deanwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012   #44
MyCE Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 139
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwitty View Post
The seller I linked to earlier sells one for the 50. Why would you be thinking 50 over 730? What will be your primary uses for it? I have seen a few of the usual complaints about disc tray glitches with the 50.
The only reason I wanted the 50 is because of some reviews where they stated the 50 prints better on printables and has no printhead clogging issues like the other Artisan models.I actually prefer to buy the 730 since I can use the copy and scan feature. The 50 is actually more expensive now as I can get the 730 for $100.
dvdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012   #45
Moderator
 
deanwitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The 10th city outside the 2nd City, U.S.
Posts: 2,698
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdit View Post
The only reason I wanted the 50 is because of some reviews where they stated the 50 prints better on printables and has no printhead clogging issues like the other Artisan models.I actually prefer to buy the 730 since I can use the copy and scan feature. The 50 is actually more expensive now as I can get the 730 for $100.
Never a problem with clogging with the CISS ink I use. The two printers use the same 1.5 pl head design, can't imagine why the 50 would do better? My Arty800 does great on printables. I don't miss feeding that tray into the printer one bit .
__________________
Currently installed for testing: Lite-on DH20A4P-04(9P54) + Sony Optiarc AD-7200A(1.Z3) x2 "You want WHAT? OK, I can do that". + AD-7200S(1Z2) + AD-5280-CB-PLUS(1.Z7) + BenQ DW1650(BCIC) + BenQ DW1640(BSLB) x2 + Lite-on iHAS324-08 A(BL1H) + Asus DRW-24B1LT@iHAS424(ZLC1) + Asus DRW-24B1ST@iHAS324(BL1H) + Plextor PX-760A(1.03) + LG BD-RE WH10LS30(1.00) + Lite-on iHES208(8LOC) + Sammy SH-BO83L(SB01) + Pioneer BDR206(1.05) + Lite-on iHBS112-29(CLOK) + Pioneer BDR-205(1.12) + LG WH12LS39(1.00) + Lite-on iHBS212@Plextor PX-LB950SA(1.02)
deanwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012   #46
MyCE Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 139
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwitty View Post
Never a problem with clogging with the CISS ink I use. The two printers use the same 1.5 pl head design, can't imagine why the 50 would do better? My Arty800 does great on printables. I don't miss feeding that tray into the printer one bit .
The comment I read about the printhead was on the Artisan 730 and not all Artisan models. Do you have a link to the CISS ink that you use and vouch for ?
dvdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012   #47
Moderator
 
deanwitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The 10th city outside the 2nd City, U.S.
Posts: 2,698
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdit View Post
The comment I read about the printhead was on the Artisan 730 and not all Artisan models. Do you have a link to the CISS ink that you use and vouch for ?
I've used CISS and ink from this seller for a few years with very good results in several Epsons, including my 800.
__________________
Currently installed for testing: Lite-on DH20A4P-04(9P54) + Sony Optiarc AD-7200A(1.Z3) x2 "You want WHAT? OK, I can do that". + AD-7200S(1Z2) + AD-5280-CB-PLUS(1.Z7) + BenQ DW1650(BCIC) + BenQ DW1640(BSLB) x2 + Lite-on iHAS324-08 A(BL1H) + Asus DRW-24B1LT@iHAS424(ZLC1) + Asus DRW-24B1ST@iHAS324(BL1H) + Plextor PX-760A(1.03) + LG BD-RE WH10LS30(1.00) + Lite-on iHES208(8LOC) + Sammy SH-BO83L(SB01) + Pioneer BDR206(1.05) + Lite-on iHBS112-29(CLOK) + Pioneer BDR-205(1.12) + LG WH12LS39(1.00) + Lite-on iHBS212@Plextor PX-LB950SA(1.02)
deanwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012   #48
MyCE Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 139
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Thanks, deanwitty.
dvdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012   #49
Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions
 
alan1476's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Watching you
Posts: 22,076
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

I use an older RX680 Epson, but it does the job.
__________________
Register to Myce.com
Register HERE http://club.myce.com/register.php
FORUM RULES
My Computer specs are HERE Take a look New rig
Want to Know Your IP Address HERE

TELL A LIE ONCE AND ALL YOUR TRUTHS BECOME QUESTIONABLE
alan1476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012   #50
Moderator
 
deanwitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The 10th city outside the 2nd City, U.S.
Posts: 2,698
Re: Best Printer to Print on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdit View Post
Thanks, deanwitty.
You're welcome. Just glanced at that seller's current feedback, and the same consistent positive comments as always. Devin found a quality CISS manufacturer and sticks with what works.
__________________
Currently installed for testing: Lite-on DH20A4P-04(9P54) + Sony Optiarc AD-7200A(1.Z3) x2 "You want WHAT? OK, I can do that". + AD-7200S(1Z2) + AD-5280-CB-PLUS(1.Z7) + BenQ DW1650(BCIC) + BenQ DW1640(BSLB) x2 + Lite-on iHAS324-08 A(BL1H) + Asus DRW-24B1LT@iHAS424(ZLC1) + Asus DRW-24B1ST@iHAS324(BL1H) + Plextor PX-760A(1.03) + LG BD-RE WH10LS30(1.00) + Lite-on iHES208(8LOC) + Sammy SH-BO83L(SB01) + Pioneer BDR206(1.05) + Lite-on iHBS112-29(CLOK) + Pioneer BDR-205(1.12) + LG WH12LS39(1.00) + Lite-on iHBS212@Plextor PX-LB950SA(1.02)
deanwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Printer/ Scanner All in One with CD/DVD Print Support cluelessidiot Disc Printing and Labeling 8 02-04-2008 16:01
New print head, new carts... why isn't my printer printing? SG General Hardware Forum 16 20-11-2006 14:44
Laser printer w/ CD&DVD print function ? sg10 Disc Printing and Labeling 8 20-11-2006 12:24
Can you print dvd labels with a regular inkjet printer? ~Dan!~ Movie copy software 11 25-07-2006 23:14
printer print halve paginas The Shadow Dutch: De Woonkamer 6 06-05-2005 11:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:51.
Top