Old 08-12-2010   #1
Burns Attack

USB 2.0 Flash Drive format ?

#1. which format I use NTFS and FAT 32 or something else ?
#2. which one I choose allocation unit size ?
#3. Quick format or full format ?
Thanks
Old 08-12-2010   #2
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsama View Post
#1. which format I use NTFS and FAT 32 or something else ?
This depends on your usage scenario and the size of the USB stick.
Quote:
#2. which one I choose allocation unit size ?
Use the default values offered.
Quote:
#3. Quick format or full format ?
Usually, quick format is enough.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #3
Burns Attack

Re: USB 2.0 Flash Drive format ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
This depends on your usage scenario and the size of the USB stick.
Use the default values offered.
Usually, quick format is enough.

Michael
Thanks mciahel
Old 13-12-2010   #4
MyCE Resident

Just checked a 2GB and it's actually in FAT, not even FAT32.
Same for a 1GB, so it looks like the supplied format for models of 2GB or less may be plain old FAT.
Of course, you can reformat to FAT32 or NTFS.
For flash drives of 4GB or lower, I'd be inclined to go FAT32, since there is no maximum filesize issue.
For larger, if you know anything you use it with will have NTFS support, then NTFS is one way, otherwise FAT32 (and accept the 4GB file size limit).

Similarly, external hard drives are usually FAT32 as standard, so the file size limit may bite you if transferring a full size DVD ISO or a large single archive or DVD chunked archive.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010   #5
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
Just checked a 2GB and it's actually in FAT, not even FAT32.
Same for a 1GB, so it looks like the supplied format for models of 2GB or less may be plain old FAT.
Of course, you can reformat to FAT32 or NTFS.
For flash drives of 4GB or lower, I'd be inclined to go FAT32, since there is no maximum filesize issue.
For larger, if you know anything you use it with will have NTFS support, then NTFS is one way, otherwise FAT32 (and accept the 4GB file size limit).

Similarly, external hard drives are usually FAT32 as standard, so the file size limit may bite you if transferring a full size DVD ISO or a large single archive or DVD chunked archive.
I have USB thumb drives up to 32GB, and none of them can be formatted in NTFS. They are in FAT32, and no other formatting is available when I try to format in XP.
Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010   #6
Senior Moderator

Oops! Yes, you're right.
In case you want NTFS, you need 3rd party software like HP's "USB Disk Storage Format Tool". Works at least with XP SP3.

Edit:
Got it. At least XP disables the write cache for USB thumbdrives by default. In that case, NTFS is not available as formatting option.
If you (logged in with administrative permissions) change the behaviour of your thumbdrive in devive manager from "Optimize for Removal" to "Optimize for Performance", then not only the write cache is enabled, but also NTFS is available as formatting option.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010   #7
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Oops! Yes, you're right.
In case you want NTFS, you need 3rd party software like HP's "USB Disk Storage Format Tool". Works at least with XP SP3.

Edit:
Got it. At least XP disables the write cache for USB thumbdrives by default. In that case, NTFS is not available as formatting option.
If you (logged in with administrative permissions) change the behaviour of your thumbdrive in devive manager from "Optimize for Removal" to "Optimize for Performance", then not only the write cache is enabled, but also NTFS is available as formatting option.

Michael
Thank you.
Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote