Old 30-12-2010   #1
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Transcend SDXC 64GB Class 10 Review

I just posted the article Transcend SDXC 64GB Class 10 Review.

Quote:
Does a higher Class mean faster writing?

Yes & No! We take a look at how this card performs in various scenarios and against other Class 4/6/10 SD cards.

Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/review/transcend...-review-38322/

Feel free to add your comments below.

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #2

Hi Sean,

In the final paragraph of the conclusion you say....... It is not the best choice for continuous shooting and is unsuitable for storing a combination of photos and HD video, unless the user chooses not to delete any photos until the card is ready to be offloaded and reformatted.”

Surely after downloading video and pictures to a PC one would not need to reformat the memory card unless it was going to be used in a different device(camera or camcorder) and then needed reformatting? I will be using the card in a camcorder Panny HDC-TM700 SDXC compatible machine.
I will be using the card for shooting mainly video and still pictures. Would you recommend another memory card (64GB)? Price wise the Transcend seems pretty good against its rivals. I would be grateful for your comments.
AlleluiaPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #3

You should have no issue continuing to use this Transcend SDXC card after downloading from the PC, as long as you do not delete any individual images from the card at any stage. For example, if you like to browse through the photos you took on the camcorder, do not delete any unwanted ones.

Another reason I say this is that some users who offload their SD card to a PC will usually copy the video, but delete the still pictures after copying. For example, if the user uses the camcorder software to offload the video, the software will generally leave the video on the card, but when the user then runs the Windows "Import Pictures" process to offload the images, Windows will ask whether to remove the photos after copying. If this method is done with this Transcend card, the free space fragmentation introduced from the deleted pictures will potentially prevent the card from being able to store any more video until it is reformatted.

So basically my recommendation would be as follows:
  • If you don't mind keeping unwanted pictures on the card until it is reformatted, you should not have any issue continuing to fill this card after downloading to a PC all the way until it is filled to capacity.
  • If you would like to be able to browse through photos on the camcorder to delete unwanted pictures, I would suggest choosing a different SD card, such as the Silicon Power brand which performed much better with free space fragmentation. The same goes if you would like to delete the still images and keep the video each time you offload to a PC.

Note that deleting the last taken picture is OK, as long as you haven't taken another picture or video after this unwanted photo.

Deleting any video clips should be OK also, as a deleted video clip will leave a much larger block of free space than an image would.
Old 30-01-2011   #4

Hi Sean,
I want to buy a Panasonic HDC-TM900 camcorder.May I use this card with that camcorder?It writes that the camcorder supports recording speeds up to 28mb/ps on the Panasonic Global site.
Will I have trouble with it If I buy Transcend SDXC 64GB Class10 card?
Alperkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011   #5
Senior Moderator

Re: Transcend SDXC 64GB Class 10 Review

Hi and Welcome!

more important: That camcorder has to support SDXC cards. If this is not explicitly stated by the manufacturer, then you can't expect these cards to work.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011   #6

The Panasonic HDC-TM900 as well as the similar models, HDC-HS900 (with HDD) and HDC-SD900/SD800 (SD only) all support SDXC, so this card should work fine.

Assuming this Panasonic camcorder writes data to the card in the same way as the Panasonic DMC-ZS7 camera for HD footage, you should not have any issue with deleting photos. However, to be on the safe side, I would suggest avoid deleting photos apart from the last taken one until you are ready to erase and reuse the card.

If you are looking at any other camcorder makes/models, the camera must state that it supports SDXC for this card to work.
Old 30-01-2011   #7

Thank you very much for your useful answers.I'd like to learn whether the 25mb/s recording bitrate is enough on the highest recording mode of 1920x1080 60p?
Because,Panasonic HDC-TM900 camcorder records 28mbytes/persecond on that mode.
Old 30-01-2011   #8

25Mbps should be fine. Generally the more action that takes place, the higher the bitrate required to encode the motion. In fact, for a camera on a stable tripod, the footage would look just as good below 10Mbps as over 25Mbps.

The most important things when choosing a camcorder include the sensor, optics and handling. Generally, the larger the sensor, the better its low light handling capability and a 3CCD or 3MOS sensor gives much better colour rendering in detail. For optics, look for the widest angle and zoom range. Finally, for handling, look out for optical image stabilisation, weight, battery life, etc.

For example, it would be better to choose a 1080p @ 20Mbps camcorder than a 40Mbps model that is overly cumbersome, has a poor zoom range or which does not have optical image stabilisation.
Old 30-01-2011   #9

Dear Sean,
Thank you very much indeed.That's it! Nobody could give me these explanations.I am enlightened and understood the issue very well thanks to you.
And I think this card will be compatible without having trouble for my new Panasonic HDC-TM900 camcorder.

Alperkon
Old 14-03-2011   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seán View Post
I just posted the article Transcend SDXC 64GB Class 10 Review.

Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/review/transcend...-review-38322/

Feel free to add your comments below.

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.
as you know transcend is the best regarding the high speed connectivity and high speed work.its 64 GB.AND its marveleous.!! i`m now a big fan of it.
Heen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #11

My new 64gb Transcend 10 won't play in my WinXP card reader.
The message is card not formatted.
I then try to format the card and XP says it cannot do it.
The card works great in my Canon G12 camera but then I must download photos via cable instead of the multi-card reader.
Do I need some sort of driver upgrade??
Thanks for your help
Loren
Loren1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #12

Welcome aboard

As far as I'm aware of, you need this Windows update for Windows XP to read SDXC cards as well as some USB flash drives larger than 32GB.

If you have already applied the update and still get this message that the card is not formatted, then the card reader likely does not handle SDXC cards.
Old 10-09-2011   #13

Thanks Sean, I will give it a try...

Loren
Old 10-09-2011   #14

Sean, that did the trick... I can now read the 64gb SDXC card
Many Thanks
Old 10-09-2011   #15

No problem, glad to hear it's working.
Old 30-09-2013   #16

I have one and it works very well !
Maneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #17
MyCE Resident

Samsung 64GB SDXC memory still costs about US$55 here. It should have been more like US$20 considering SSD twice the size, 10 times faster, costs under US$100.
Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote