Old 05-10-2006   #1
New on Forum

Cloning bootable CompactFlash Card

Can anyone help with making a backup copy of a bootable 128 MB CompactFlash card ?
I have tried making images with WinImage and WinHex and then restoring them to a new card, but without success. The new card always displays a message during booting that a particular file is missing. Is there a equivalent to Alcohol or CloneCD for CompactFlash ?
tbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #2
Senior Moderator & Editor

Re: Cloning bootable CompactFlash Card

Transferring to 'Flash Memory' section of the forum...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

So what are you waiting for? Click the smiley to join -->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006   #3
New on Forum

Is the new card same (make and) capacity as the old one?
Old 06-10-2006   #4
tbl
New on Forum

I have tried both the same types and different ones with exactly the same results. My problem seems to be a copy protection issue.
Old 06-10-2006   #5
New on Forum

The only other thing I can think of is Norton's Ghost. You can try it to create a ghost image of the bootable CF. I would also suggest checking the CF-IDE drive that you are using and ensure that it is not contributing in any way.
Old 07-11-2006   #6
tbl
New on Forum

Thanks for the suggestion but I have now tried this and it doesn't work. The drivers supplied with gkost do not see my USB card reader and thus the boot disk never boots. I've also tried the Panasonic USB drivers for DOS together with a Ghost boot disk without success. I can get it to see a memory stick, but not my card reader.
Old 22-05-2009   #7
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but I have now tried this and it doesn't work. The drivers supplied with gkost do not see my USB card reader and thus the boot disk never boots. I've also tried the Panasonic USB drivers for DOS together with a Ghost boot disk without success. I can get it to see a memory stick, but not my card reader.
Hi..I know this is an old post but I am wondering how you fixed this if you ever did? I am try to clone a 512 to a 4G and haven't been able to do it..Keithmj
Keithmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009   #8
Retired Moderator

I've looked for good tools to backup USB Flash Drives and Memory Sticks for a long time, and there's always a drawback to the tools I have tried.

Some don't support removable drives (e.g. Macrium), some save the files but not the filesystem structure (e.g. WinImage), some save everything including unused space, some require that the destination drive has the same size as the source drive.

Most of the time, Acronis True Image works for me, but there have been removable drives it wouldn't detect.

UltraISO has some nice features for removable drives and you might be able to test how it works with just the limited trial version (the full version is $30 Shareware). Use the Bootable menu and Make Disk Image / Write Disk Image. The disk image will be as large as the source drive including unused space.
Old 25-05-2009   #9
New on Forum

I am going to need a Win XPE image file for a Termtex TK-3770 so if anyone can help me let me know..I have tried everything that I can think of to do this but can not get this to work..Guess I'll just have to take it somewhere that knows thin clients unless someone can provide help..Thanks..Keithmj
Old 25-05-2009   #10
Senior Moderator

Hi,

try "dd" running off a Linux Live CD. Not sure if there is already a Win32 version of "dd" available.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009   #11
New on Forum

I got this taken care of..I used Ghost 2003 for Dos and then made a bootable flash drive and ran it from there. I also needed an image file that someone directed me to..Bootable compactflash will only work if you use an industrial grade CF made to boot..Cheers..Keithmj
Old 20-08-2009   #12

An update on this thread.

I found this freeware program:

Raw Copy by Roadkil - http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=22

This is a low-level program that doesn't try to be clever, but appears to sucessfully do a byte-by-byte clone of any card or drive that a PC can "see", even in the most difficult of circumstances.

My card wasn't bootable, but is was potentially more awkward.
It was an 8GB SDHC card masquerading as a 32GB card (reporting 32GB but only having a valid 8GB memory - yes, an ebay fraudster card) which had hundreds of precious photos and movies of my two year old son on it taken over a couple of months. When the 8GB threshold was crossed, it threw Vista into a fit, which then did a chkdsk that trashed its directory.
Instead of showing folders with 587 photos and 21 HD movie clips, it was showing a FOUND000 directory with 10,000 .chk files.

I desperately wanted to clone the card before letting trial recovery software do their best/worst, and Raw Copy did just that. It happily copied what it was told was a 32GB card to a (valid) 8GB card, generating a clone that behaved just as awful as the source card, but from which I recovered EVERY original camera file from. So it MUST have done a byte-by-byte RAW copy as it said - in my book, that is a superb piece of software.

Whether it does areas like the MBR I know not, but it's low-level operational approach makes that seem likely to me.

For the record, the utility that then did the miraculous recovery of EVERTHING I had lost was another freeware gem:
PhotoRec (over) by CG Security ā€“ http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
=====
Keywords: SDHC SD card clone duplicate recover corrupt directory byte-by-byte copy raw
How do I clone an SD card? How do I recover an SD card?
windbagUK is offline   Reply With Quote