Macrovision poised with dud tracks to thwart P2P song swappers

heystoopid used our news submit to tell us "Well, it seems, that a number of artists, are upset about prepublicity internet and p2p sharing of new albums, prior to official music label publicity launches and it appears are willing to instigate a quick reaction force to create dud versions? Oh well, things a never so simple as they seem these days as explained in the short article over at "Rolling Stone". Most case studies, I have seen indicate, that internet p2p file sharing of mp3/aac/wma music files is actively encouraging additional retail sales of original cd"s, leaking dud versions of the artists new music, will never encourage additional retail sales, my take is that "this music is garbarge don"t buy it!"

The label will also spend as much as $10,000 per song to deter piracy on P2P networks once the album is out. "If songs leak on the Net, you need to make something happen fast," says Adam Gervin, marketing director for Macrovision, a company that floods P2P services with dud versions of tracks -- some of which may include opportunities to buy the legitimate version. Once a leak is discovered, "we will go to 100 percent of our download-reducing ability within thirty minutes," says Gervin.

The paranoia is high, especially among young artists like
NORE, who's last album he felt was leaked early and prolifically. Taking matters
into their own hands, these artists are just saying no to pre-release singles
and effectively are saying to DJ's  "If you want to hear it, you have to
come to me." Good article over at the Rollling Stone.

Source: Rolling Stone

No posts to display