Old 05-04-2008   #1
New on Forum

Problems With Memorex Dual Layer Discs

I Have Wasted Several Memorex Dvd +r Dl Discs With Dvd Fab. I Have Tried To Write Using Vso, Nero & Image Burn And More Often Than Not They Fail During The Burn Process. I Am Using A 50 Pack Spindle And Collecting Several Coasters. Are There Any Other Settings I Should Be Using In The Write Process Or Are The Discs Just Poor Quality. Thanks In Advance For Recommendations.
NAMRON60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #2
Administrator

Re: Problems With Memorex Dual Layer Discs

My vote is poor quality disks. The only dual layer that is regularly recommended around here is Verbatim +R DL made in Singapore.

From user reports, the Verbatim DL made in India is less consistent.

Which burner are you using? If it is a fairly new one, you can use either the older mid code MKM001 or the newer mid code MKM003, which are 8x DL Verbatim. If your burner is a couple of years old, or older, I would stick with the slower speed MKM001 Verbatim DL, which are 2.4-4x speed I believe.

4x is usually a safe speed for burning either variety of Verbatim DL, though some people prefer 6x for the newer higher speed version.
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #3
MyCE Resident

Read down to post #18.

Easy Dual Layer
beef barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #4
AGJ
MyCE Resident

I agree use verbatim DL. memorex DL is poor quality, all I got out of my 50 disc spindle was 5 good burns and 45 coasters. Those 5 good burns are probably not good but they still play fine.
AGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #5
MyCE Resident

What gets me is that they used to pride themselves on how good their audio tapes were and now they put out crap. One would think that they would want to be number 1.
Dialysis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #6
New on Forum

Thanks To All Of You For Your Input- I Tried My Older Samsung External Burner Se-184n And It Worked Ok- The Problem Seems To Occur On My Newer Sony Internal Dur 840a Model. Go Figure. Iwould Have Thought The Reverse.
NAMRON60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #7
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMRON60 View Post
Thanks To All Of You For Your Input- I Tried My Older Samsung External Burner Se-184n And It Worked Ok- The Problem Seems To Occur On My Newer Sony Internal Dur 840a Model. Go Figure. Iwould Have Thought The Reverse.
Have you checked the firmware for the sony drive
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #8
CD Freaks Junior Member

I've never had any good luck with Memorex DL DVD's.

I've had excellent luck with the Verbatim DL's tho' as most others have. I don't know how to tell where they're made or even how to order them online and be specific about the point of manufacturer as some others have suggested in other posts.

Good luck!!!
Playback: PowerDVD Deluxe
System: ABIT AB9PRO, Intel 945, 2 GB OCZ DDR2-800 PC-6400, 7600 GT, Various Seagate SATA HDs, ASUS E616A3T DVD-ROM, Sony DRU-830A DVD-RW
sarlacc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #9
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMRON60 View Post
I have the DRU 840A and haven't had any issues with it. Sony hasn't issued any firmware updates for it as of yet. I believe the drive firmware is currently at version SS01.

Another thing to try perhaps is ImgBurn.

I create ISO images with DVDFAB, then burn to media with this program. It's freeware and they come out with updates every so often.
System: ABIT AB9PRO, Intel 945, 2 GB OCZ DDR2-800 PC-6400, 7600 GT, Various Seagate SATA HDs, ASUS E616A3T DVD-ROM, Sony DRU-830A DVD-RW
Old 06-04-2008   #10
MyCE Resident

Yeah, Memorex DL's about 40% of them or more if you can grt them to play correctly the second layer becomes inaccessable this has happened so many times to me. now only use verb & even the verb DL can use some work
jcusimano2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #11
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialysis1 View Post
What gets me is that they used to pride themselves on how good their audio tapes were and now they put out crap. One would think that they would want to be number 1.
I couldn't agree more...
Old 06-04-2008   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcusimano2 View Post
Yeah, Memorex DL's about 40% of them or more if you can grt them to play correctly the second layer becomes inaccessable this has happened so many times to me. now only use verb & even the verb DL can use some work
The dye on the Verbatim, +R, 2.4x, MKM-001-00, Made in Singapore has the best reputation - even the MKM-003s seem to be inferior.

Regards
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #13
MyCE Die Hard

I gave up using Memorex DVD's a long time ago when most of them (that i had, anyway) started coding out as CMC MAG's.

Going to agree with everyone here: Verbatim DL's are the way to go.

...and shepards we shall be...

"I'm not me, i don't exist. There used to be a me, but i had it surgically removed."
7thSinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #14
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcusimano2 View Post
Yep. Bought a spindle a month ago and horrible results. I never have problem with Verbatium's. I don't know why I got suckered into the sale price of the Memorex DL+R.
-IP
IrishPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #15
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialysis1 View Post
I have a Memorex cassette tape that I made in the early 1980's that spent the better part of 20 years in my car -- thru extreme heat and cold. It still plays as good as the day I recorded it.

I don't know why they can't seem to make a good DL DVD disc?

-IP
Old 08-04-2008   #16
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPrince View Post
I have a Memorex cassette tape that I made in the early 1980's that spent the better part of 20 years in my car -- thru extreme heat and cold. It still plays as good as the day I recorded it.

I don't know why they can't seem to make a good DL DVD disc?

-IP
Memorex does not make their CD's or DVD's they buy from other companies and put their name on them
Old 08-04-2008   #17
MyCE Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJumper View Post
Memorex does not make their CD's or DVD's they buy from other companies and put their name on them
Hence the possibility you could buy one spindle off the shelf that would code out as one dye maker, and the next one over code out as a different one.

...and shepards we shall be...

"I'm not me, i don't exist. There used to be a me, but i had it surgically removed."
7thSinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #18
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJumper View Post
Humm. If I was putting my name on something, I'd make darn sure it met a certain level of quality. Don't they do random sampling? That is basic industrial engineering stuff, not rocket science.

-IP
Old 08-04-2008   #19
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPrince View Post
Humm. If I was putting my name on something, I'd make darn sure it met a certain level of quality. Don't they do random sampling? That is basic industrial engineering stuff, not rocket science.

-IP
"If I was putting my name on something, I'd make darn sure it met a certain level of quality"
Same here.

"Don't they do random sampling?"
Don't know I do not work for them,...all I know is what I see when checking the MID using CD Speed.

"That is basic industrial engineering stuff, not rocket science."
This is true, but now a days profit takes priority.