Old 09-05-2009   #1
New on Forum

NOT enough space on this disc to burn the image

I have an interesting problem using:

1) DVDFab (to rip ENTIRE DVD's)

2) Nero Recode (to burn "main movie to DVD" image)

3) Imageburn (to burn the dvd to a single-layer disc)

After I verify the burn is okay, I delete the original - and save the image [only] to conserve drive space.

On certain "projects" I get an error from Imageburn indicating: "There doesn't appear to be enough space on this disc to burn the image".

I am totally confused for several reasons, and will note that:

A) The image file size is less than 4.7GB (as displayed by "properties")

B) My burns work 99.9 percent the rest of the time - perfectly (with verifications from Imageburn)

C) This error seems to occur with newer "projects"; this seems to be a recent development - but I have only just begun to use "images" (to save space)

D) When I do not use Nero Recode, and use DVDFab to create the image (to DVD-5) it works perfectly.

Is this some sort of wierd "copy-guard" issue? It is not a big deal, I prefer to use Nero Recode [high quality mode] but DVDFab seems to do the job.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance; Allen, San Francisco Bay Area - California / USA

(I have submitted this string to DVDFab, Imageburn and Nero.)

(In case this matters to someone: Lite-on burner; Taiyo Yuden media; Windows XP)
atcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: NOT enough space on this disc to burn the image

If Nero Recode has a way to set the size (I don't have it) make sure the "main movie to DVD" image is 4.36 GB or smaller.
cholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #3
New on Forum

I agree, the setting is correct; even the [explorer] "properties" of the file indicate it is less than 4.7GB (4.3GB). Basically, it appears that Nero is adding an "invisible" file to the image that only "Imageburn" sees.

Thank you for the reply - Allen
Old 09-05-2009   #4
MyCE Resident

You could look at the folder Nero creates with the free version of IsoBuster.It is limited in what it can do but it should show an "extra" file if there is one or I think it will.
I agree with you for some reason ImgBurn is reading the file as larger than 4.36 GB.
You might try this use ImgBurn in build mode to burn the Nero image back to your HDD & see what size that image is.
Also if you have a virtual drive mount the image in it & have a look at it.
I use VirtualClone drive it is free from slysoft.
cholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #5
MyCE Resident

Open with DVD Shrink and see what you have.
Old 09-05-2009   #6
New on Forum

Do more people use DVD Shrink versus Recode? Is shrinks quality as good as recode? I will download it and try it - thanks. Allen
Old 10-05-2009   #7
MyCE Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcain View Post
Do more people use DVD Shrink versus Recode? Is shrinks quality as good as recode? I will download it and try it - thanks. Allen

A dumb question from someone jumping into the discussion at this point... if DVDFab is doing the job you want, and you like the results (at least, you haven't said you didn't) - why are you going to all this extra work of using Shrink and Recode, when Fab will do it all?

OC

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #8
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCanada View Post
A dumb question from someone jumping into the discussion at this point... if DVDFab is doing the job you want, and you like the results (at least, you haven't said you didn't) - why are you going to all this extra work of using Shrink and Recode, when Fab will do it all?

OC

May be talking about the DVDFab HD Decrypter
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #9
MyCE Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJumper View Post
May be talking about the DVDFab HD Decrypter

So I first thought, until I read in his post that Fab did the job (in his words) "perfectly".

My question still stands... if Fab did it so perfectly, why go to all this extra trouble?

OC

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #10
CDFreaks Resident

Hi atcain and welcome,

Personally, I haven't used Recode 2 for video archiving for a few years so I'm a bit rusty with it and no doubt I am running an old version, 2.2.6.16.
I used to use it along with dvd decrypter, etc., ... prior to Fab resolving its problems burning DL discs.

I'm trying to connect the dots as to how you took a Video_TS folder after being compressed with Recode 2 and simply burned it with Img.
Did you not also need to utilize Img Build Mode ?
This would have added an extremely small amount of data, but I suppose when factored in with your other steps, could have bumped you beyond "critical mass"...

Based on your statement,
"1) DVDFab (to rip ENTIRE DVD's)"
you're only ripping with Fab, not compressing...and then compressing wth Recode 2, right?
Did you tick on Fit to target in Recode 2?
Did you set the % of compression manually?

Anyway, I attempted to reproduce your problem.
I left Recode 2 on its default setting = DVD-5[4.7GB]

Here's what I got:
(btw, this is with Platinum 6.0.0.3)

Fab Rip:................7.05 GB (7,573,075,968 bytes) --->compressed with Nero--->
Nero Recode 2:....4.35 GB (4,675,436,544 bytes)
Img Build Mode:...4.35 GB (4,676,059,136 bytes)
Burned Disc:........4.35 GB (4,676,040,704 bytes)

The disc completed without issue and plays just fine.

I believe the vast majority of Platinum (& Gold) users use Img or VSO to burn. This is not to suggest that there aren't quite a few users that burn with nero or that there's anything wrong with nero.
DVDFab HD Decrypter will of course, have a ton of shrink users.

It's JMO, but I have never appreciated a benefit to burning with nero or shrink when comparing the quality of the final product.
For me, files processed and burned with Platinum, whether with Img or VSO are equal or better in quality to any burned with nero (including Advanced analysis and High quality mode) or shrink (including deep analysis).

And as already stated...
Using Platinum (or Gold) for the whole "enchilata" is quick and easy.

Again, JMO

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #11
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCanada View Post
So I first thought, until I read in his post that Fab did the job (in his words) "perfectly".

My question still stands... if Fab did it so perfectly, why go to all this extra trouble?

OC

LOL - well, I always thought that the quality of the end result of Nero Recode was better - but I could be wrong. I used to use AnyDVD to rip, two years ago I switched to DVDFab as it is a superior product (in my opinion) but found the burn(s) to have defects. At the time I was using Ritek media, which as it turns out that media sucks now.

I also began to distrust Nero Recode - I started to get really crappy burns that "verified"; then a friend turned me on to Imageburn - as it actually ejects the disc before verification, etc.

So now I am using DVDFab to rip, Recode to create the image, and Imageburn to produce the DVD.

I think I will try to use DVDFab for everthing now that I am using Taiyo Yuden media versus the junk that Ritek [became].

I will also point out that I consider myself an advanced user, and again my burns work perfectly 99 percent of the time. This "anamoly" comes from Imageburn seeing an "invisible" file or file(s) that recode is somehow producing or associating with a DVD image that Imageburn "thinks" is larger than it is. Was that confusing? So I swear it is not a "settings" issue. Next time it occurs I will take screen-shots and "Lighting UK" showed me how to "display" the error using a "control" command.

So I will be able to update this post in the near future but due to the infrequency of this issue, it might be a while.

Thank you everyone for your replies! Allen
Old 04-06-2009   #12
New on Forum

So here it is; again - this happens with "new" projects: Properties tab indicates image is x amount (in Windows); imageburn "sees" something else. As stated previously, Nero appears to be adding "invisible" files. I used dvdfab to complete the image and it "fit" just fine. Thank you for everyones help - Allen Cain, San Francisco Bay Area (California). (Images are available at this link (in the post - near the botom):

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s...13&#entry93813

Thank you everyone.
Old 04-06-2009   #13
Nightwatchman

Have you addressed this in a Nero forum somewhere? I don't see that it's a DVDFab or ImgBurn problem at all. If you want flawless results that are the right size, decrypt, re-author and compress with DVDFab to a VIDEO_TS folder, and use ImgBurn in Build mode to create the image and burn the disc (which can also be done by selecting Img as the burn engine in DVDFab).
signals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #14
New on Forum

I do not think Nero has a forum, if they did - I would probably have to download a 5GB AP to make it run. No thanks. honestly, I knew this was a Nero issue - I was desperate.

Your suggestion/procedure sounds encouraging.

One of the reason I keep images is to save disc space. Using your method, would the TS folder still take up more or less space - compared to an image (say for an 1.35 hour long "project")?

Thank you for responding - Allen
Old 05-06-2009   #15
Nightwatchman

The image files produced by ImgBurn are essentially the same size as the VIDEO_TS folders that DVDFab makes. There is a small amount of file system and disc format overhead in the image file. The VIDEO_TS folders are a little easier to deal with if you are editing the video, modifying the subtitles or plan to play them from hard disk storage using software players.

There is a Nero forum here at CD Freaks: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f48/
It may be that someone there could address your concerns about the file size differences.
Old 05-06-2009   #16
New on Forum

I don't think I am going to pursue it. The most reasonable explanation appears to be from "Lightning UK" who said

"You've loaded an nrg file, not an ISO.

nrg files have a header/footer which accounts for the difference between the physical file size and the size reported by ImgBurn when you load said nrg file."

My question then became "why does it work perfectly 99 percent of the time, and only on new "projects".

No big deal - I do not recall being able to burn an image other than an nrg file from Nero.
Old 05-06-2009   #17
CD Freaks Junior Member

Just let Shrink compress/convert the files from DVDFab HD Decrypter (Video_ts) to ISO and it also auto burns with IMG Burn. The reason people still use Shrink is because it still works on 98% of movies and is still in my opinion, as others agree, one of the best programs made for this purpose. Many functions; i.e. editing, chapter splitting, combining episodes to one disk or many discs, etc. etc. DVDFab will take care of the other 2% for ripping purposes.
oneacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #18
MyCE Resident

Try a DVD-R which hold app. 4489 mb.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #19
New on Forum

Thank you for the DVDShrink recommendation. I also hear that Slysoft's "clone DVD" works well but I am not a big fan of their products.

Clearly Nero is glitchy and I must decide on an alternative.

So, alot of people use Shrink? Anyone have an opinion? Allen
Old 05-06-2009   #20
Nightwatchman

This is the DVDFab forum. They are all fine products, please discuss them in the appropriate venues.
Old 05-06-2009   #21
New on Forum

LOL - sorry. In that case what I have decided to do is use DVDfab to just make an image (forget decrypting to the hard-drive first); then use imgburn to do the rest. I am using T/Y premium media - so we will preoceed from here. I LOVE DVDFAB and all of their other products! Allen
Old 06-06-2009   #22
Nightwatchman

I hope that works well for you. I still recommend letting ImgBurn build the image file, but you will probably get very satisfactory results and will save a little time.
Old 07-06-2009   #23
New on Forum

OK, actually I will try that - ripping to an image takes too long and I want to be able to "rip" fast so I can return media.

but is shrink really worth buying? I thought this is a DVDfab forum - LOL

I might be confused: You recommend I rip to the drive with FAB; compress/recode using shrink - TO create an ISO image - then let IMG do it's thing. [just] above you mention "build" (?)
Old 07-06-2009   #24
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcain View Post
...ripping to an image takes too long and I want to be able to "rip" fast so I can return media.
Copying rented DVDs is illegal - such discussions are not allowed!.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #25
New on Forum

Who mentioned "rented dvd's"? Dude, you did - not me. Allen