Old 01-10-2007   #1
New on Forum

No Audio with .avi Files

I normally rip DVDs to my hard drive as .avi files. Since migrating to Vista, I have lost audio in all my .avi files created with DVDFab. Video is fine, the issue is just with audio. I have obtained a VistaCodecPacv448 that "supposedly" has every video & audio codec needed for Vista, but it apparently does not. What audio codec do I need or, what might b the problem?
toughskinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #2
Nightwatchman

Re: No Audio with .avi Files

Hi toughskin. Which profile are you using? (I mean, which audio encoder is Fab using to make your AVIs--MP3, AAC etc.) You can try ffdshow, I have never found anything it would not play, but I'm not sure how it works in Vista.
signals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #3
CDFreaks Resident

Hi toughskinn,

You've got the right person helping you out... ...my good friend signals.
One other thought. You might try VLC media player (link in my sig). It doesn't rely on outside codecs and in my experience, it will play just about anything.
Sorry, I have zero knowledge about vista.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Last edited by maineman; 01-10-2007 at 04:12. Reason: link
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #4
New on Forum

Thanks for responding. As per your advice, I installed ffdshow, but still no audio. I attached a screenshot of the default setting I am using when ripping to .avi.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2007   #5
Nightwatchman

Hi toughskin
Try the xvid+MP3 instead and see if it plays. Make sure the proper inputs on your audio mixer are turned up (WAV on my sound card). /EDIT/ Just saw fine friend maineman's recommendation about VLC player and he is right, it is a bulletproof player, at least in XP. I am also Vista clueless (but this will have to change as my new notebook is Vista Ultimate only, no XP version available) .
Old 04-10-2007   #6
New on Forum

Signals....xvid+mp3 may fix the issue ongoing, but what do I do about the .avi files I already have? I need a codec to get audio from them. All of the audio settings u mentioned are correctly configured by the way.
Old 05-10-2007   #7
DVD FAB Co-Author

hi,toughskinn

because you select a profile which will copy your source audio-track( ac3 or dts) , so some player maybe need additional filters to decode this audio-track, I think ffdshow will be useful, I don't know why in your vista, it is not work, you can try to install other audio-filters to check it, like ac3-filter.

or you can try other all-in-one player, like VLC player.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2007   #8
Nightwatchman

@toughskin

See the post from Ting concerning the filters. To see if you already have the required codecs, google and install a program called AVICodec. At the bottom of its screen it has areas for the video and audio contained in the AVI file and will say "Supported" if you have them or "Not Supported" if you don't. Again, I don't know how AVICodec responds to the Vista OS. I still think a different profile with MP3 audio should play OK with what you have. The post by my good friend maineman has a download link for VLC.
Old 05-10-2007   #9
New on Forum

Ting, just to let u know, I installed ffdshow previously, it did not work...thanks.
Signals...I installed AVICodec, ran the program, analyzing the movie Premonition.avi and this was the result. It says the audio codec is unsupported. I went ahead and installed AC3Filter anyway, and it did not work, as I suspected it might not. I don't know what to do now. These .avi files played fine when I was using WinXP...now with WinVis, no audio
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2007   #10
Nightwatchman

Glad to see that AVOCodec works in Vista!. Here is a link for an AC-3 filter (free): http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htmGive that a try and let us know how it works with one of the old AVIs.
Old 05-10-2007   #11
New on Forum

I did that already Sig....did not work.
Old 05-10-2007   #12
Nightwatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughskinn
I did that already Sig....did not work.
Sorry, must have missed that. Must be a Vista thing. Have you tried VLC yet?
Old 05-10-2007   #13
New on Forum

Well Sig...I installed VLC, and...I NOW HAVE SOUND! BUT...the picture quality is nowhere as good in VLC as it is when played thru WMP Looks like I have to give a little to get a little.
I wonder, may u can tell me...what allows the sound to come thru in VLC, but not WMP? Does VLC change the properties of the audio signal in some way?
Old 05-10-2007   #14
Nightwatchman

No I think it is the way that VLC manages the codecs and filters. WMP is just not very good at it. The only format where I get poor video from VLC is WMV--everything else looks just as good as when played with WMP. Don't know what you're seeing there. Maybe the video bitrate of the older ones is low, or the encoded screen size was small. I make my AVIs with the slider set for 1500-2000 kbps, or high enough to get to .6 or .7 in the Bits/Pixel column on DVDFab's Configure screen.

/EDIT/ I just looked at your screen capture from AVICodec. The video bitrate is low for the screen size you selected. Run that slider up. The files will be bigger but they will look better.

/EDIT/ VLC does have controls for audio effects. WMP is designed so that your grandmother can use it, which means little real control or flexibility.
Old 05-10-2007   #15
New on Forum

I will do that. Thanks for all ur help guys!