Old 29-03-2007   #1
New on Forum

Media inserted is single layer. Please insert a double layer media to start the write

"Media inserted is single layer. Please insert a double layer media to start the write process."

I was very excited to install and use the trial of DVDFab Platinum. It worked like a charm! I have just purchased the registration key and when I try to write the data there is a request for dual layer media. I am using the same media as I did with the trial version. How can I resolve this issue please? Thank you.

I previously wrote to ellen@dvdidle.com and she suggested to uninstall then reinstall the program.

Please uninstall and reinstall DVDFab at http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm , then restart your computer to see the result.

Any questions in future, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
Ellen Zhang
DVDIdle Support Team

This DID NOT resolve the problem.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,
RiverQueenMama
RiverQueenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007   #2
CDFreaks Resident

Re: Media inserted is single layer. Please insert a double layer media to start the write

I would like to say hello to Ellen Zhang who was active on the old dvdidle forum.

I would suggest that you check the media with CD Speed to make sure it is what you think it is. Not often, but some people buy DL Media and replace it with with SL media maybe leaving a few on top. Then return it to the store. It is easy to replace shrink wrap today. If this happens most retailers will replace the media.

Also make sure you give the drive enough time to recognize the media. I am guilty of clicking OK too quick at times. My BenQ displays a steady green light when media is ready.

Just a couple of things that have been known to happen in the past.

Mack

Find missing DVD or CD drives download CDGONE and Disable Auto Run Click Here
Media Info: Click Here
To understand DMA and how to lock it click Here

The more problems that I have to deal with; the more I learn Clicking on Search or Searching on Google will not cause your computer to explode That is just a rumor
bigmacnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007   #3
CDFreaks Resident

Re: Media inserted is single layer. Please insert a double layer media to start the write

Hi RiverQueenMama and welcome to cdfreaks,

Few thoughts to add to Mack's suggestions.
Navigate to your temporary directory, is the file you ripped still there, how large is it? If you have clutter, leftovers, etc., I would delete all of it.

If you need any of this data, another option is to change/create a temp folder in another location on your hdd. If you are unable to locate previously ripped files, just uncheck "delete temporary files when finished" in "common settings". You can also choose another location on your hdd as the "target", instead of your burner. Then, re-rip. This way you can look at/manipulate the files and we can figure this out.

Also, take note of your "target size". This should be "dvd5" and the ripped file size should not exceed the specified size...default is 4300 MB...you can alter this setting.

Hope this helps.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008   #4
New on Forum

I have the same problem and I have already checkec all the suggestions mentioned so far. To be clear, in this scenerios it is correct to be providing a sinlge layer disk. DVDfab is incorrectly disallowing that disc and asking for a dual layer disc.
larrytru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008   #5
New on Forum

I just realized that the ortiginal post was not specific about the circumstances around this error message.

In my c ase, I am trying to split a dual layer DVD onto two single layer DVDs (something I've done before with DVDfab and the very same media). It reads the original disc without any trouble. Then it stops and asks me to insert appropriate media. I insert a single layer writable disc and press OK. A dialog pops up complainging that "Media inserted is single layer. Please insert a double layer media to start the write process". Single layer is exactly what should be inserted.

Thanks for any guidence!
Old 21-05-2008   #6
MyCE Rookie

this is a continuing problem, voiced by myself and others in different threads - hopefully a fix is in the works???
jrsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008   #7
New on Forum

I hope so, I am completely unable ot use DVDFab now because I always use "split" and it has the same behavior with every disc I try to copy.
Old 21-05-2008   #8
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsjr View Post
this is a continuing problem, voiced by myself and others in different threads - hopefully a fix is in the works???
I totally agree. I have been experiencing this problem since version 3 (approximately 3 out of 10 times). I have reported it numerous times but it was never fixed. Needless to say I have stopped using DVDfab.
skypx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008   #9
DVDidle Author

Dear all,

Please make sure you are using "DVD5" as output type.

If yes, please check the size of output DVD folder, if it's larger than DVD-5 size (default is 4300MB)?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Fengtao
http://www.dvdidle.com/
fengtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008   #10
Nightwatchman

Also make sure that you have updated to version 5.0.2.0. Depending on the copy mode you have chosen, unusually large amounts of DVD-ROM content (if selected for copying) can make the size larger than anticipated.
signals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008   #11
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengtao View Post
Dear all,

Please make sure you are using "DVD5" as output type.

If yes, please check the size of output DVD folder, if it's larger than DVD-5 size (default is 4300MB)?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Fengtao
Dear Fengtao:
I confirm that I am running 5.0.2.0, that the DVD5 size is set to 4300MB and that the split output is set to DVD5.
jrsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008   #12
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsjr View Post
Dear Fengtao:
I confirm that I am running 5.0.2.0, that the DVD5 size is set to 4300MB and that the split output is set to DVD5.
Change the dVd5 size to 4400MB
calcu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #13

Thank you fengtao!!

I had the same problem, worked fine with the trial version but once I purchased it it kept saying to insert a double layer media to start the write.

I swapped from DVD9 to DVD5 and was able to get it to burn to my DVD with no problem as I had with the free trial.

THANK YOU!
StaceyMcDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #14
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyMcDowell View Post
Thank you fengtao!!

I had the same problem, worked fine with the trial version but once I purchased it it kept saying to insert a double layer media to start the write.

I swapped from DVD9 to DVD5 and was able to get it to burn to my DVD with no problem as I had with the free trial.

THANK YOU!
Hi StaceyMcDowell

Welcome to the forum

Good to hear you resolved your problem, not bad for a newbie
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyMcDowell View Post
Thank you fengtao!!

THANK YOU!
Hi there, I'm also having the same problem. Trial version was great no problems. Have just bought DVDFab 9 and am getting the message re insert a double layer media. You say you changed to DVD Fab 5 and it fixed the problem. Can you tell me how to change to DVDFab 5 please.
veronicaschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #16
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicaschwarz View Post
Hi there, I'm also having the same problem. Trial version was great no problems. Have just bought DVDFab 9 and am getting the message re insert a double layer media. You say you changed to DVD Fab 5 and it fixed the problem. Can you tell me how to change to DVDFab 5 please.
Hi veronicaschwarz

Welcome to the forum

You can change it in common settings, there is a link to a guide on common settings below in my signature
Old 05-06-2011   #17

Quote:
Well I figured it out. Switched to DVD 5 and it appears to be working fine. Am in the middle of copying to a DVD so fingers crossed.
BTW have just joined this forum and am really pleased to know you're all out there and helping each other. Great to find you.
Old 05-06-2011   #18
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Well I figured it out. Switched to DVD 5 and it appears to be working fine. Am in the middle of copying to a DVD so fingers crossed.
BTW have just joined this forum and am really pleased to know you're all out there and helping each other. Great to find you.
If you made the change at the next to "Quality" then you'll have to do it agian the next time you open DVDFab, however in common settings you can set it as default.
Old 06-06-2011   #19

Thanks for that. I thought I had but it reverted to DVD 9. Anyway, now I can copy to my computer but it won't allow me to copy to any disc. This version is so much more complicated and troublesome thant the free trial version. That was great. What's going on do you think?
Old 06-06-2011   #20
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for that. I thought I had but it reverted to DVD 9. Anyway, now I can copy to my computer but it won't allow me to copy to any disc. This version is so much more complicated and troublesome thant the free trial version. That was great. What's going on do you think?
If you have a registration key you may need to re-enter the key because it sounds like your the free version, please open DVDFab and at the top right click on the ? mark and select "About" and see if it shows as registered
Old 07-06-2011   #21

Thanks, StormJumper. Will you please stick with me while I try to get this thing up and running. I checked "about" under the ? as you suggested. Showed me as a trial user. I entered the registration key for about the tenth time and it now shows me as registered for DVD Copy but not DVD ripper which I believe is part of the DVD Fab software so don't understand why it's not registered also. Can you help please? Veronica
Old 07-06-2011   #22
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, StormJumper. Will you please stick with me while I try to get this thing up and running. I checked "about" under the ? as you suggested. Showed me as a trial user. I entered the registration key for about the tenth time and it now shows me as registered for DVD Copy but not DVD ripper which I believe is part of the DVD Fab software so don't understand why it's not registered also. Can you help please? Veronica
Each module/program are sold separately, back when they had the "Platinum theripper/converter was part of the package, so if you only paid for the DVDFab Copy then you will need to pay for the ripper.

LOL yes I'll stick around until you are up and running

BTW...You only need to double click on the reg key once if you are or did have that much trouble it sounds like your running the "Home" version of Vista or Windows 7.
Old 07-06-2011   #23

StormJumper, I think you're right on all counts. I feel thoroughly ripped off. I bought DVDFab thinking I was getting the copy and ripper because that's what was included in the trial version. I paid AU$50 for what turns out to be just DVD Copy plus $40 for the DVD Passkey which I assumed I would need. 8( Now it seems I have to pay another $50 for the Ripper.

Is this my only way to go if I want to burn to discs? What use is the DVD copy if you can't burn to a disc? V
Old 07-06-2011   #24
Retired Moderator

Quote:
StormJumper, I think you're right on all counts. I feel thoroughly ripped off. I bought DVDFab thinking I was getting the copy and ripper because that's what was included in the trial version. I paid AU$50 for what turns out to be just DVD Copy plus $40 for the DVD Passkey which I assumed I would need. 8( Now it seems I have to pay another $50 for the Ripper.

Is this my only way to go if I want to burn to discs? What use is the DVD copy if you can't burn to a disc? V
With DVDFab Copy you really have no need for Passkey because Passkey only open the disc and allows you nto use a 3rd party app, each module/program has it's own trial period.

Unfortunate there are no refunds, so if you want the ripper/converter module you'll have to fork out the cash.

BTW...I do recommend the lifetime registration because paying yearly is the pits
Old 07-06-2011   #25

Hi again. Looks like it's up and running and doing all I want it to. I don't think I need the Ripper. Thanks for your help and for being there. Best wishes, Veronica