Old 30-08-2009   #1
New on Forum

Important: data rate or bitrate

Was wondering which is important for quality datarate or total bitrate? And what kind of number should I be looking at for good quality? I generally use generic.avi.divx.audiocopy, thanks in advance
rel5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009   #2
Administrator & Reviewer

Re: Important: data rate or bitrate

It's not that simple as it depends on the nature of the source material.

Bitrate varies constantly throughout a film and the encoding software tries to allocate it to where it's most needed.

Fast action scenes or scenes with lots of details require a higher bitrate than fairly static bland scenes and the encoding software tries to redistribute what's available to optimise overall quality.

Generally speaking though the higher the average bitrate the better the quality.

Whether that quality is acceptable or not depends on a number of complex interacting factors and there's no definitive rule of thumb that will guarantee you a certain degree of quality at a particular average bitrate.

Your best bet is to try different settings and see what you personally are happy with.

Even then, all films are different, and you'll find that what works on one won't necessarily work on others.

Wombler
Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009   #3
MyCE Resident

I have generally found that 1100 bitrate accommodates most movies and gives fairly good quality displayed on a 52" Samsung HD TV.

As Wombler says though, all movies are different and for fast action movie, I have snuck the bitrate up to 1400.

Also, the quality that you are happy with is a very subjective assesment and depends on your expectations and your playback device.

Again as Wombler says, try it out.
Old 02-09-2009   #4
MyCE Member

At what point do you see diminishing returns on bitrate? I want the highest quality video I can possibily get (HP Media Smart connedoes not support VOB files).

I feel silly saying that I use 4096 as my default. Am I just wasting disk space?
Old 03-09-2009   #5
MyCE Resident

Yep.... Certainly for DVD's as I'm not int the BluRay scenario but it does depend on your target device.

As I said above, I get what I regard as more than acceptable quality using a variant of generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy at 1100 bitrate on my 52" HD Samsung TV playing from a variety of media players (Hard Disk & Network players) but I will stress that this is very subjective. I also leave the TV do the upscaling not the players.

I may be a video peasant but I have tested out the quality comparisons with groups of friends and they agree with my appraisal.