Old 28-03-2008   #1
MyCE Senior Member

How to use functions within DVDFAB -Path Player

Sorry for being a "non-technee".

But there are some termologies within DVDFAB I do not really understand. (there wil be more....let you know later).
I read thru the explaination in the TUTORIAL and still do not understand what it is and how it works.

Especially on the topic WHAT IS PATHPLAYER
~ PATH PLAYER.
~ Button Over Video (in relation to Pathplayer)?
~ Easter Egg
~ VOBU

I read in that those setting (if set wrongly) can cause the program to "Fail burning".

Let me know if there are any other "links" within this forum or others that has a better explaination on the usage.

Thank you greatly.
Sea Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008   #2
Wii Freak

Re: How to use functions within DVDFAB -Path Player

pathplayer will not cause burn failure. however pathplayer can cause problems with open of the dvd or how dvdfab reports titles, file sizes and dvd playback. can cause issues with using the navigation options. (but pathplayer must be enabled to use them)

PATH PLAYER.
http://dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Mai...ingsPathPlayer

PathPlayer gives DVDFab the ability to copy DVD content only allowed to be played on a real DVD player. In this way, DVDFab will ignore unplayable content which may contain copy protection.

changing the BOV and VOBU scan settings allows for dvdfab to look for Button Over Video and not accidently remove unplayable content.

"scan cells lasting" dvdfab will scan a VOBU which last the set number of seconds or less. so with default 300 secs dvdfab will only scan only cells lasting less than 5 mins.

"scan one VOBU every # VOBU" the first VOBU is scanned, then 30 are missed, then another is scanned, then another 30 are by-passed, until the cell ends, at which time the last VOBU is scanned. '30', which is about 15 seconds of video.

Easter Eggs are hidden features of a dvd which dvdfab may accidentally remove as unplayable content. If you think your disc may have Easter eggs or similar features that use multiple BOVs, in addition to the checkbox you may also want to adjust the PathPlayer sliders (see above) for cell time (longer) and VOBU scanning (skip fewer) to increase the probability of finding them all.

VOBU
http://www.mpucoder.com/DVD/vobov.html

VOBU is determined by the video coding unit called a Group Of Pictures (GOP). A VOBU will contain one or more complete GOP, as needed.

Cells are the next higher logical structure, containing any number of whole VOBUs. Their length and placement is entirely arbitrary and depends on the overall organization of the program (movie). Chapters, multiple angles, titles, and even how the "prev" and "next" buttons on a remote act all dictate the placement of cells.
troy512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008   #3
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy512 View Post
pathplayer will not cause burn failure. however pathplayer can cause problems with open of the dvd or how dvdfab reports titles, file sizes and dvd playback. can cause issues with using the navigation options. (but pathplayer must be enabled to use them)

PATH PLAYER.
http://dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Mai...ingsPathPlayer

PathPlayer gives DVDFab the ability to copy DVD content only allowed to be played on a real DVD player. In this way, DVDFab will ignore unplayable content which may contain copy protection.

changing the BOV and VOBU scan settings allows for dvdfab to look for Button Over Video and not accidently remove unplayable content.

"scan cells lasting" dvdfab will scan a VOBU which last the set number of seconds or less. so with default 300 secs dvdfab will only scan only cells lasting less than 5 mins.

"scan one VOBU every # VOBU" the first VOBU is scanned, then 30 are missed, then another is scanned, then another 30 are by-passed, until the cell ends, at which time the last VOBU is scanned. '30', which is about 15 seconds of video.

Easter Eggs are hidden features of a dvd which dvdfab may accidentally remove as unplayable content. If you think your disc may have Easter eggs or similar features that use multiple BOVs, in addition to the checkbox you may also want to adjust the PathPlayer sliders (see above) for cell time (longer) and VOBU scanning (skip fewer) to increase the probability of finding them all.

VOBU
http://www.mpucoder.com/DVD/vobov.html

VOBU is determined by the video coding unit called a Group Of Pictures (GOP). A VOBU will contain one or more complete GOP, as needed.

Cells are the next higher logical structure, containing any number of whole VOBUs. Their length and placement is entirely arbitrary and depends on the overall organization of the program (movie). Chapters, multiple angles, titles, and even how the "prev" and "next" buttons on a remote act all dictate the placement of cells.
My Goodness.....You guys are really very good.

I am so glad to have a product that can give me so good support and I really wished that this will always be the case.

Thank you so much and it really helps.

Sea Monster
Old 29-03-2008   #4
MyCE Senior Member

So should I stick to the default settings, since I may experience payback issues. Or is there a setting that is more workable so that I do not have to waste time burning and realized that it cannot be played properly.

Thanks again.....I shall return when I have further questions.
Old 29-03-2008   #5
Wii Freak

if you use the navigation options (Jump To... features in Full Disc and Customize modes) then keep pathplayer always enabled, with default BOV settings.

if not then its my recommendation to keep pathplayer disabled. (because in some cases pathplayer may cause errors when opening a dvd, then you will have to eject the disc and change it back to disable.)

personally i use main movie mode and have pathplayer always enabled. which is really not needed because there will not be anything but the movie when doing main movie. however i like to use pathplayer because it may help to remove copy protection.
Old 29-03-2008   #6
MyCE Resident

very well explained, Troy.
Old 29-03-2008   #7
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy512 View Post
if you use the navigation options (Jump To... features in Full Disc and Customize modes) then keep pathplayer always enabled, with default BOV settings.

if not then its my recommendation to keep pathplayer disabled. (because in some cases pathplayer may cause errors when opening a dvd, then you will have to eject the disc and change it back to disable.)

~~ RATHER CONFUSED ON POINT 2. ISN'T IT THAT I HAVE TO CHANGE IT BACK TO ENABLE.

personally i use main movie mode and have pathplayer always enabled. which is really not needed because there will not be anything but the movie when doing main movie. however i like to use pathplayer because it may help to remove copy protection.
You mentioned that with Pathplayer ENABLE it will help to removed copy protection, then in that case, it should be kept ENABLE since the purposed is to remove any copy protection. Is that correct?

Another point I can intrepet your explanation in point 3 is that the main moive does not contain any copy right, therefore, PathPlayer can be DISABLE.

In that case, what is the PROTECTION in DVDFAB for?

I am rather confused..... Perhaps I will try and see if there are any problems. I shall be back.

Thank you
Old 29-03-2008   #8
Nightwatchman

I keep PathPlayer enabled most of the time with aggressive scan settings (<480 seconds, scan 1 skip 10). It will catch most structure protection variants, even if they are new, and will remove unplayable cells, which will make your copy smaller in size. Some of the newer movies have had as many as 40 (or more) unplayable cells. It takes a little longer to scan, but not as long as having to start the rip all over when DVDFab without PathPlayer hits some structure junk at the 5 GB mark in the copying process and you have to start all over. About the third time this happened to me I turned it on and left it on.
signals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008   #9
Retired Moderator

I always keep PathPlayer "Disabled" unless I'm having trouble backing up a DVD then I will select "Always Enable PathPlayer" ...and after the rip I will then "Disable" it again ...but thats just my way and I never have issues with it
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008   #10
MyCE Senior Member

You folks are the GREATEST...... Really..

I have not regretted a bit since buying DVDFAB.....Really.

Keep up the good work.

I shall be back.
Old 29-03-2008   #11
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Monster View Post
You folks are the GREATEST...... Really..

I have not regretted a bit since buying DVDFAB.....Really.

Keep up the good work.

I shall be back.
Looking forward to your return
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #12
New on Forum

Hi! i need some help here.i have read comments above and try to change some settings.i think im not fixing the problem in the right way...

im using dvd fab platinum 5.0.7.5 trial version.
i wish to burn a dvd9 movie to my dvd.The movie is only 4.22 gb and the size is fit into my dvd so i plan to copy ahd whole disc into my dvd.

here the problem i face.i have enabled the path player "always enable path player" and i have untick the "check for multiple BOV...".
then i started to burn to hard disk first.The "reading/writing error control,please choose what to do "popped up so i ignore twice and finally the programme closed itself.

i have tried out img burn,most of them is error and therefore i tried dvd fab and also error.Hope anybody out there can help me to slove the problem.thanks!! sorry for the poor english.thanks!
aqlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #13
AGJ
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqlim View Post
Hi! i need some help here.i have read comments above and try to change some settings.i think im not fixing the problem in the right way...

im using dvd fab platinum 5.0.7.5 trial version.
i wish to burn a dvd9 movie to my dvd.The movie is only 4.22 gb and the size is fit into my dvd so i plan to copy ahd whole disc into my dvd.

here the problem i face.i have enabled the path player "always enable path player" and i have untick the "check for multiple BOV...".
then i started to burn to hard disk first.The "reading/writing error control,please choose what to do "popped up so i ignore twice and finally the programme closed itself.

i have tried out img burn,most of them is error and therefore i tried dvd fab and also error.Hope anybody out there can help me to slove the problem.thanks!! sorry for the poor english.thanks!
Sorry to say but that is a bad disc. Try cleaning it as it might be dirty if that does not work then if you still can exchange it for another.EDIT: Start a thread of your own about your problem as this has nothing to do with this thread you posted in.

Last edited by AGJ; 06-08-2008 at 07:58. Reason: added text
AGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #14
New on Forum

i have used cloth to clean it.u mean its my disc problem but is they anything to do with the disc protection problem?? start a new thread on reading error?
aqlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #15
Wii Freak

reading error control is most likely dirty/scratched dvd.

can you post the info screen with pathplayer always enabled?
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsInfo

you could also try with pathplayer disabled, skip 64 sectors and disable read-ahead cache. do you have another drive to read from?
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsRead

if the problem is copy protections you will have to send the ifo files to fengtao.
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsInfo