Old 27-12-2008   #1
CD Freaks Senior Member

How to add subtitles to a straight vob file?

I am ripping straight vob files(1 large file) for playback on my WD TV.
Is the subtitle part of the vob file or a seperate file that should be in the same folder as the vob?

They subtitles I am interested in are only the ones that should appear when a charcter in an amaerican movie speaks french or an alien in star wars is having a conversation with another alien. Those are the subtitles I am trying to preserve.
DREAMLINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008   #2
MyCE Die Hard

Re: How to add subtitles to a straight vob file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAMLINER View Post
I am ripping straight vob files(1 large file) for playback on my WD TV.
Is the subtitle part of the vob file or a seperate file that should be in the same folder as the vob?

They subtitles I am interested in are only the ones that should appear when a charcter in an amaerican movie speaks french or an alien in star wars is having a conversation with another alien. Those are the subtitles I am trying to preserve.

The subtitle is part of the .VOB file. To keep it, whatever you're ripping with will have to give you the option to preserve substreams in the rip, otherwise, subtitles (as well as angles, and other goodies), could be lost.

Is one large file the only way you can playback on your TV? When you do a rip like that, you're also losing chapters and navigation, which means you'll have to start from the beginning each time you want to watch it.

O'C

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008   #3
CD Freaks Senior Member

Well I am ripping it for my WD TV. I am not sure if that device can play a multi vob file. Will have to test it, but I thought it caused like a 1 second pause between vob files.
Old 28-12-2008   #4
DVD FAB Co-Author

hi,

I am very interesting in WD TV, which device support internal subpicture in VOB files ?

or this Device maybe support play DVD folder ? just a try, not one to test it.
Old 28-12-2008   #5
MyCE Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Canada View Post
The subtitle is part of the .VOB file. To keep it, whatever you're ripping with will have to give you the option to preserve substreams in the rip, otherwise, subtitles (as well as angles, and other goodies), could be lost.
The substream is pointed to by the IFO file, so you should have the IFO file available.
NeuralMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008   #6
MyCE Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralMonk View Post
The substream is pointed to by the IFO file, so you should have the IFO file available.

I'm sorry - I'm not sure I understand your comment.

As I read it, you're saying the IFO file points to the substream, therefore, you need the ISO to read said substream.

Unfortunately, the substream has to be ripped with the other elements of the .VOB file. It doesn't exist separately in the VIDEO_TS folder. If its not part of the rip, you don't have anything for the IFO file to point to.

That's why I said it needed to be part of the rip - it's multiplexed in with the rest of the info in the .VOB file.

O'C

Old 29-12-2008   #7
CD Freaks Senior Member

O.K. I did a vob passthrough rip with DVDFab and checked "Display only forced subpicture", I also had a check on the English subtitles.

The result was three files in my folder, I have the vob file along with a idx and a sub file. Is the vob file all that is needed in my media server to display subtitles? I saw no ifo file present
Old 29-12-2008   #8
MyCE Die Hard

Quote:
O.K. I did a vob passthrough rip with DVDFab and checked "Display only forced subpicture", I also had a check on the English subtitles.

The result was three files in my folder, I have the vob file along with a idx and a sub file. Is the vob file all that is needed in my media server to display subtitles? I saw no ifo file present

Unless you specifically select IFO output, you won't see it. And if you do, you won't see .VOB, idx , or any substreams, just the IFO file.

I don't know if your device supports .vob files, but to get subtitles, the substream (which should be just the subtitles) needs to be re-multiplexed with the other files in the .VOB file.

There may be an easy way to handle this... I just don't know what it is... I D/L a .AVI movie recently, with subtitles already installed. When I converted, the subtitles were gone (I went to mpeg-2), and luckily, the same site had a subtitle file for that film avail. for download, so I got it, and had to use an authoring program to put it all back together (recreating .VOB files).

I'm pretty sure there is a program that will do that for .AVI files, but I don't know which one, as I always go the other way.

O'C

Old 29-12-2008   #9
MyCE Die Hard

Sorry - I'm getting side-tracked here by other comments.

If your device will support multiple VOB files, a straight DVDFab, protection removing rip will do the trick - just be sure to include the subtitle stream in the rip.

If your device will not support multiple VOB files, one large VOB or IFO file will be required. You'll still need to do the original rip preserving the subtitle stream (at least for the vob portion), and re-multiplex them to get the subtitles on screen.

I'm not sure what you'll need or have to do for the IFO file, and hopefully, someone else here does and will jump in now and take over...

O'C

Old 29-12-2008   #10
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Canada View Post
Sorry - I'm getting side-tracked here by other comments.

If your device will support multiple VOB files, a straight DVDFab, protection removing rip will do the trick - just be sure to include the subtitle stream in the rip.

If your device will not support multiple VOB files, one large VOB or IFO file will be required. You'll still need to do the original rip preserving the subtitle stream (at least for the vob portion), and re-multiplex them to get the subtitles on screen.

I'm not sure what you'll need or have to do for the IFO file, and hopefully, someone else here does and will jump in now and take over...

O'C

Not sure what I need to re-multiplex them.

I did a single file vob passthrough that resulted in three files, vob, sub and an idx. There was no ifo file, what do I need to to next?
Old 29-12-2008   #11
MyCE Die Hard

Quote:
Not sure what I need to re-multiplex them.

I did a single file vob passthrough that resulted in three files, vob, sub and an idx. There was no ifo file, what do I need to to next?

The VOB and Sub Files will have to be re-multiplexed with a good authoring program (I use DVDLab Pro, but at $200.00 a toss, it's an expensive alternative), and there is a rather severe learning curve you'll have to go on to learn enough about DVDs to use it.

There are other authoring programs out there, but it'll take some searching to find one to fit your knowledge level and pocketbook.

The idx file is (I believe) one created by DVDFab to help MS Media player find info on the web.

As I said before, anyone with knowledge of IFO fixes and workarounds feel free to jump in here and help!

O'C

Old 29-12-2008   #12
MyCE Die Hard

Ignore my comments on .idx files... I'm no longer sure what they are...

O'C

Old 29-12-2008   #13
CD Freaks Senior Member

O.K. so vob alone does not have subtitle support, so what if one did an iso rip with movie only and the "Display froced subtitles" would this all be embedded with subtitles?

I think WD TV will support an iso file if its movie only and no menus or extra branching.