Old 12-01-2009   #1
MyCE Member

DVDFab's VSO burning engine vs. Imgburn

VSO or Imgburn - which is best?

Although I agree that verify is seldom useful for video disks, DVDFab's problems with verify since 5.1.2.2 has lead me to use Imgburn when verify was needed.

While Imgburn is faster and will verify, a couple of copies done with that engine would not play on my high-end Panasonic DMR-EZ74V (connected to home theater). That player/recorder reported that the "Disk is incompatible". Those copies did play on another, older Panasonic deck and on my PC. When I recopied each with the VSO engine, they played all the players.

So far, no copy burned with the VSO engine has had the 'incompatible' problem, but a few copies (done with earlier versions of DVDFab) did have some stuck places.

My question is which engine is better? Has anyone done an analysis of results comparing the two?

I'm guessing someone has, since this forum has some of the best minds and most experienced contributors I've found anywhere.
joelrosado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #2
MyCE Die Hard

Re: DVDFab's VSO burning engine vs. Imgburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelrosado View Post
VSO or Imgburn - which is best?

Although I agree that verify is seldom useful for video disks, DVDFab's problems with verify since 5.1.2.2 has lead me to use Imgburn when verify was needed.

While Imgburn is faster and will verify, a couple of copies done with that engine would not play on my high-end Panasonic DMR-EZ74V (connected to home theater). That player/recorder reported that the "Disk is incompatible". Those copies did play on another, older Panasonic deck and on my PC. When I recopied each with the VSO engine, they played all the players.

So far, no copy burned with the VSO engine has had the 'incompatible' problem, but a few copies (done with earlier versions of DVDFab) did have some stuck places.

My question is which engine is better? Has anyone done an analysis of results comparing the two?

I'm guessing someone has, since this forum has some of the best minds and most experienced contributors I've found anywhere.

I've been sitting here for almost an hour, trying to figure out how to tackle this question. It's N O T easy.

First of all, what exactly are Imgburn and VSO?

Well, they're software programs... i.e., a set of instructions carried out by a CPU designed to do a specific set of tasks. On that basis, and that basis alone, define 'better'.

Not easy, is it? At least, not without bringing into the equation things like, VSO wouldn't copy this... or Imgburn failed at that...Leave the end result out of it for the time being - it involves other considerations that have nothing to do with software - right now, we're just looking at a set of instructions designed to do specific things.

Although they both may take slightly different routes to get the job done, does that make one 'better' then the other - and one way or the other, how can we tell? Point is, on that basis, we can't tell. And I don't think there is, for two pieces of software that both function correctly, a valid basis for saying one is 'better' than the other.

Now comes, for some, the juicy part. The end result.

First let me say, that, in almost 2 years of using VSO with DVDFab, of the two or three coasters I got, all were of my doing... not the program. Secondly, the VSO burner is the default burner for DVDLab Pro, the authoring program I use on a semi-regular basis, and it has performed flawlessly there, too.

But people are complaining that VSO won't verify, won't write discs that will play on ..., the DVDs it writes freeze or the images are all pixellated...

Bear in mind almost 2 years of flawless performance over here...

Many of these problems others have, upon closer examination, are the result of:

a) bad media
b) improper settings
c) 3rd party plug-ins interference
d) bad media
e) weird Windows settings

Even the maligned Vista isn't proving to be the problem many thought it would (just more of a pain to use, and Windows 7 doesn't look much better...).

What's 'better'?

I dunno... still trying to figure out what 'better' is.

O'C

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #3
CD Freaks Member

Re: DVDFab's VSO burning engine vs. Imgburn

Just to add something here and on your problem specifically --- ImgBurn has many setting's and you cannot control these from within DVDFab.

If you open ImgBurn itself and review these it may be something on one of these --- booktype setting or some such.

You might also want to Google your new Panasonic player and see if anyone else is reporting the issue.

Lastely could it be media related ? -R, +R, (+/- RW's) Double layer etc.... ?

Everyone on here suggests using good media and Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden's seem always to be the two suggested.

Cheers,

Asbac
Asbac is offline   Reply With Quote