Old 04-05-2008   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

DVDFAB on Linux

I was a little curious and decided to run an experiment to see if DVDFAB V5.0 would run under Linux. I'm using the Ubuntu distro version 8.04 with WINE version 0.9.61 installed.

DVDFAB did install and I was actually able to rip a DVD with this.

One thing that I couldn't do was to have the application recognize my license key. I copied and pasted it into the registration window when asked and it appeared to recognize it when the window popped up saying "Thank you! The product will be restarted to enable the registered version." After restart though, the registration window opened back up again.

Has anyone else tried any of this? Does anyone have any suggestions on entering the license key?

Thanks in advance...
Playback: PowerDVD Deluxe
System: ABIT AB9PRO, Intel 945, 2 GB OCZ DDR2-800 PC-6400, 7600 GT, Various Seagate SATA HDs, ASUS E616A3T DVD-ROM, Sony DRU-830A DVD-RW
sarlacc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: DVDFAB on Linux

I have tried it it with the latest DvdFab 4 and it would not recognize my license key either.
Old 05-05-2008   #3
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrRon View Post
I have tried it it with the latest DvdFab 4 and it would not recognize my license key either.
Please add a test report or comment in the Wine Appdb,
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=11565

If you're feeling ambitious, also file a bug at http://bugs.winehq.org
dankegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008   #4
New on Forum

Have you guys checked that the registration key is being stored in your WINE registry? I'm using DVDFab Platinum via WINE on Debian here.

To check, open a Terminal and enter wine regedit

Look for the DVDFab entry in the Software section of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

If it is, then the problem appears to be with retrieval of the license key rather than a failure to write it to the registry. Possibly, the DVDFab developer's change over to Visual Studio 2008 has something to do with it.
@ndyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #5
MyCE Junior Member

Yes I have the same problem trying out linuxmint for the heck of it. My keys for ver 4 or 5 wont work. also the free version wont allow changing setups.
Perhaps it just wont work with linux., although in trying to make a back up it did start the process.

JT
JamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #6
New on Forum

The actual program works well enough here, the only problem in use I've encountered was that ripping one disc after another the DVDFab would occasionally fail to scan the newly inserted disc. A restart resolves this issue.

The real problem is that for some reason DVDFab 4.1.2.0 and beta 5.0.1.2/5.0.1.5 fail to read the registration code from the WINE registry despite it being stored there correctly.
Old 10-05-2008   #7
New on Forum

Hi All,
I'm new here and as a matter of fact new to Linux. I've been using DVD Fab to back up my DVDs for a while now but was wondering if anyone has tried running it with Wine on Mandriva Spring 2008 yet? Not really sure how to open it in Wine either........... :-(. Real rookie here. Appreciate any help.
L440mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #8
New on Forum

What're you using as window manager? KDE? GNOME?

In GNOME the steps to install are:

1. locate DVDFab installer .exe file
2. right click on .exe file and select Open With Other Application if Open With WINE isn't at the top of the popup menu
3. locate WINE in the either the Installed or Available Applications list, or type wine into the Use A Custom Command drop down

That'll start the DVDFab installer. Once done, depending on how you WINE install is configured, you should have DVDFab listed and available to start in your Applications->WINE menu. If not, opening a Terminal and typing wine "C:/Program Files/DVDFab 5/DVDFab.exe" should work (replace DVDFab 5 with DVDFab 4 if you're using that version).
Old 10-05-2008   #9
New on Forum

Thanks Andy, I'll have to wait till I get home from work to try it out. By the way I'm using the KDE desktop, should have stated that in the first place..... Told you I'm a rookie .
L440mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #10
New on Forum

KDE should have something similar to the Open With... function in it's right click popup menu, if not via a Terminal - wine "the location of the DVDFab installer.exe" should do the trick.

'fraid I'm not too familiar with KDE!
Old 10-05-2008   #11
New on Forum

WINE BugZilla entry created:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13114
Old 12-05-2008   #12
MyCE Member

Has anyone here contacted Fengtao about this problem? I only use the free DVDFab ripper myself with the latest 5.0.2.0 beta. The program has been buggy at times, but the latest seems ok except for the lingering GUI bugs from earlier versions.

Now that Fengtao has Linux with Wine listed as a supported OS he may want to make sure people can get there License to work.

http://www.dvdfab.net/download.htm
Old 12-05-2008   #13
New on Forum

I bought my license so long ago that I dont have the transaction number to request the new key. The number is asked, even if I have a version 3-4 key.
reylafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #14
New on Forum

Well I've just installed 5.0.3.0 this problem still isn't fixed and my trial period has run out. I might try completely reinstalling WINE to see if there's something I missed.

I have to agree with wildchild88 - Fengtao should be looking at this now that the Linux/WINE combo is officially supported.
Old 09-06-2008   #15
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ndyH View Post
Well I've just installed 5.0.3.0 this problem still isn't fixed and my trial period has run out. I might try completely reinstalling WINE to see if there's something I missed.

I have to agree with wildchild88 - Fengtao should be looking at this now that the Linux/WINE combo is officially supported.
Did you get the key for ver.5 or trying to use another ver key, also check your spam filter for the email with the key as it comes from china and your isp might be blocking it thinking it's spam
2.81 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
( Old like me ) But does the job great
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Taiyo Yuden & Verbatim +R's Only In My Burners
DVDFAB

Paid Not To Work
US Navy Retired ( 20 Years )(San Diego Gas & Electric Retired (20 years)
Proudly Served On
USS Coral Sea CVA-43 (VF-154) / USS Oriskany CVA-34 (VFP-63) / USS Ranger CVA-61 (VF-121)
6 trips to the Gulf Of Tonkin
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #16
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by reylafo View Post
I bought my license so long ago that I dont have the transaction number to request the new key. The number is asked, even if I have a version 3-4 key.
kinda of late but here ya go in case you didn't get it http://www.dvdfab.com/retrieveregkey.htm make sure that in the drop down box you have ver #5 and you have to use the same email address that you used when you bought it
2.81 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
( Old like me ) But does the job great
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Taiyo Yuden & Verbatim +R's Only In My Burners
DVDFAB

Paid Not To Work
US Navy Retired ( 20 Years )(San Diego Gas & Electric Retired (20 years)
Proudly Served On
USS Coral Sea CVA-43 (VF-154) / USS Oriskany CVA-34 (VFP-63) / USS Ranger CVA-61 (VF-121)
6 trips to the Gulf Of Tonkin
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #17
New on Forum

Jimbo, the v5 key I have works fine on my old WinXP machine, I'm only having issues with it on my Linux based media box.
Old 10-06-2008   #18
MyCE Senior Member

I've been running Fab HD Decrypter 4.1.2.0 under wine for some time now, currently with 1.0-rc4. It works nearly perfectly except for some gui-menu issues.
anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #19
New on Forum

anjilslaire, the issue is with the registration key for the FULL version.
Old 12-06-2008   #20
MyCE Senior Member

Yes, I'm aware. Just throwing in my .02. There are others here that have the full version on Linux as well without issue last I heard.

It may be a regression in wine, or a settings issue. What OS settings are being used in wine, along with other settings...
Old 04-08-2008   #21
New on Forum

I have the same registration problem with DVD Fab/ wine. I got a new key and still could not use the full version. The free version only lets me rip to a folder for a dvd 9 (double layer). It wont compress to a dvd 5 and I can't burn directly to a dvd 5 (single layer)
DVD Fab works fine on XP.

Last edited by stash 1; 04-08-2008 at 21:10.
stash 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #22
MyCE Senior Member

Once you get it on your hard drive as a dvd9 folder, you *could* use dvdshrink to get it down further to fit on a single layer, until you get your key issue worked out. Shrink works fine set as XP in wine.
Old 04-08-2008   #23
New on Forum

Thanks. I was thinking of using shrink. I'll give it a try.
stash 1 is offline   Reply With Quote