Old 19-07-2009   #1
New on Forum

DVDFab AnyDVD Detection

I currently have DVDFab 6.0.2.2 installed as well as AnyDVD 6.5.4.4 on a "Windows 7" dedicated Media Center PC. I would prefer to only use DVDFab but there isn't a Media Center plugin available that I know of for DVDFab. So Currently I am using the MyMovies Plugin and AnyDVD to rip movies to my media center library. This setup allows non-technical members of the family to add to the library and works great. The only issue with this setup is that the movies are copied uncompressed.

I have created a script to automate DVDFab to Search and compress the DVD folders that are over 4.47 GB. The only issue that I have witht he script is that at the start of the program a message pops up that states:

"AnyDVD is detected. You need to disable AnyDVD to make DVDFab work correctly"

Prior to this step the script disables anyDVD. The command line that the script is using is:

Code:
DVDFab.exe /src "<MoviePath>" /dest "<TempPath>" /close /TITLE auto /MODE FullDisc /OUTDISC DVD5
Is there a way to disable the AnyDVD Check?
cptraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009   #2
Retired Moderator

Re: DVDFab AnyDVD Detection

Go into common settings-> "General" and un-check "Check for on-the-fly decrypter automatically"
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009   #3
MyCE Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptraddict View Post
I currently have DVDFab 6.0.2.2 installed as well as AnyDVD 6.5.4.4 on a "Windows 7" dedicated Media Center PC. I would prefer to only use DVDFab but there isn't a Media Center plugin available that I know of for DVDFab. So Currently I am using the MyMovies Plugin and AnyDVD to rip movies to my media center library. This setup allows non-technical members of the family to add to the library and works great. The only issue with this setup is that the movies are copied uncompressed.

I have created a script to automate DVDFab to Search and compress the DVD folders that are over 4.47 GB. The only issue that I have witht he script is that at the start of the program a message pops up that states:

"AnyDVD is detected. You need to disable AnyDVD to make DVDFab work correctly"

Prior to this step the script disables anyDVD. The command line that the script is using is:

Code:
DVDFab.exe /src "<MoviePath>" /dest "<TempPath>" /close /TITLE auto /MODE FullDisc /OUTDISC DVD5
Is there a way to disable the AnyDVD Check?

While Stormjumpers advice will certainly stop the notifications about AnyDVD, those notifications wouldn't be popping up if your script was truly disabling AnyDVD...I strongly suspect it isn't, which is why you keep getting that...

Never a good idea to run Fab with AnyDVD or DVD43 running in the background, as your results with Fab will become unpredictable...better to disable AnyDVD manually, then start running your scripts.

You can also permanently enable DVD5 compression in Fab by going to Common Settings > DVD to DVD, and a drop-down menu there allows you to default to DVD5 from DVD9, automatically enabling compression every time you start Fab.

OC

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009   #4
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCanada View Post
While Stormjumpers advice will certainly stop the notifications about AnyDVD, those notifications wouldn't be popping up if your script was truly disabling AnyDVD...I strongly suspect it isn't, which is why you keep getting that...
Thanks for the advise OCanada. From what I can see Manually "disabling" anyDVD has the same effect. the only thing that stops this behaviour is Exiting AnyDVD ( either via gracefully shutdown or killing the process ).

StormJumper your recommendation worked perfectly. After unchecking the box the popup no longer appears.

What I was trying to do was to have a script automatically run every day at like 2or 3 am to compress any movies not currently in use that are over 5GB. I am thinking of erroring on the side of caution and experimenting with shutting down AnyDVD the allowing my script to run. Thanks again everyone for your assistance.
Old 19-07-2009   #5
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the advise OCanada. From what I can see Manually "disabling" anyDVD has the same effect. the only thing that stops this behaviour is Exiting AnyDVD ( either via gracefully shutdown or killing the process ).

StormJumper your recommendation worked perfectly. After unchecking the box the popup no longer appears.

What I was trying to do was to have a script automatically run every day at like 2or 3 am to compress any movies not currently in use that are over 5GB. I am thinking of erroring on the side of caution and experimenting with shutting down AnyDVD the allowing my script to run. Thanks again everyone for your assistance.
Since you are using AnyDVD to rip and just using DVDFab to do the compression why not make a script for DVD Shrink
Old 19-07-2009   #6
MyCE Senior Member

cptraddict, is right. As long as AnyDVD is disabled and the systray icon is grey then it will have zero impact on another program that is accessing an optical or virtual optical drive. DVDFab's detection mechanism for on-the-fly decrypters simply checks for the AnyDVD process and not the state of the program.
Old 19-07-2009   #7
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJumper View Post
Since you are using AnyDVD to rip and just using DVDFab to do the compression why not make a script for DVD Shrink
I thought of that but I really like DVDFab and before Installing on the MediaCenter PC I used it exclusively without any issues. I am still holding out that a MediaCenter plugin will be developed.

Your idea should certainly work since all of the Encryption has already been removed but I prefer to keep DVDFab installed since that is the interface that I use when ripping movies. The media center plug in is for the rest of the family who just want to hit a button and it "Just Works".

I am still on the hunt for MCE plug in to burn DVD....but that is a story for a different day I guess.
Old 20-07-2009   #8
MyCE Die Hard

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by 'disable'.

I mean that if the little red fox head is visible in the systray, then AnyDVD isn't disabled enough for Fab to work...have to put cursor over that icon, right-click it, and select Exit.

That'll disable it!

OC

Old 20-07-2009   #9
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by 'disable'.

I mean that if the little red fox head is visible in the systray, then AnyDVD isn't disabled enough for Fab to work...have to put cursor over that icon, right-click it, and select Exit.

That'll disable it!

OC

You are incorrect, OCanada. If the user right-clicks and then selects Enable AnyDVD so that the checkmark goes away then the fox icon turns grey and AnyDVD will no long do anything until re-enabled and this will not cause a problem for DVDFab. Unchecking the setting on AnyDVD and then unchecking the on-the-fly decrypter check in DVDFab will allow someone to use DVDFab without a problem.
Old 20-07-2009   #10
AGJ
MyCE Resident

cptraddict have you tried the option in common settings the DVD to DVD part - Create dvdid xml which can be used by windows media center. Put a tick in the box and it creates a file like My Movies does so Windows Media Center can see the actual movies.

I have not tried it but it is there to try if needed
AGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009   #11
MyCE Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkLyeAndDie View Post
You are incorrect, OCanada. If the user right-clicks and then selects Enable AnyDVD so that the checkmark goes away then the fox icon turns grey and AnyDVD will no long do anything until re-enabled and this will not cause a problem for DVDFab. Unchecking the setting on AnyDVD and then unchecking the on-the-fly decrypter check in DVDFab will allow someone to use DVDFab without a problem.

I don't mean to argue with one of the mods of the AnyDVD forum, but the disabling I was referring to was the Fab message about AnyDVD - nothing to do with AnyDVD or whether it functions or not in a disabled condition...

The only way to stop triggering the Fab message is to exit AnyDVD COMPLETELY (as in right-click systray icon, and select exit).

The other option will also stop the message from triggering (unchecking on-the-fly decrypter), but it also, for those either not paying attention, or otherwise distracted, will prevent them from catching that AnyDVD may still be fully enabled before they start ripping something.

I'm also not so sure I understand the last part of your post...as I read it, "disabling AnyDVD and unchecking the on-the-fly Decrypter in Fab will allow one to use AnyDVD without a problem"?? Under what conditions? And with what software running or not running??

OC

Old 20-07-2009   #12
Nightwatchman

I agree with O'C that Exit is better--why let a process continue to absorb resources if you're not going to use it. It is also easier and faster than "disabling" and then telling DVDFab to quit checking, only to have to tell it to resume checking again to avoid conflicts in the future.
signals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009   #13
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
I don't mean to argue with one of the mods of the AnyDVD forum, but the disabling I was referring to was the Fab message about AnyDVD - nothing to do with AnyDVD or whether it functions or not in a disabled condition...
You aren't arguing with a moderator when I post here. I'm simply posting as a normal user.

Quote:
The only way to stop triggering the Fab message is to exit AnyDVD COMPLETELY (as in right-click systray icon, and select exit).
For people who have AnyDVD installed the preferable way to handle not using it is to just disable rather than exit it.

Quote:
The other option will also stop the message from triggering (unchecking on-the-fly decrypter), but it also, for those either not paying attention, or otherwise distracted, will prevent them from catching that AnyDVD may still be fully enabled before they start ripping something.
Valid point however you said cptraddict was incorrect when he mentioned disabling rather than exiting AnyDVD. cptraddict was actually correct. For the purpose of using the script the check in DVDFab would need to be disabled.

Quote:
I'm also not so sure I understand the last part of your post...as I read it, "disabling AnyDVD and unchecking the on-the-fly Decrypter in Fab will allow one to use AnyDVD without a problem"?? Under what conditions? And with what software running or not running??
What I stated was that if you simply disable and not exit AnyDVD then AnyDVD is in no way impacting another program accessing the drive. DVDFab won't have a problem caused by AnyDVD fiddling with the data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals View Post
I agree with O'C that Exit is better--why let a process continue to absorb resources if you're not going to use it.
Quite honestly the AnyDVD process does not use many resources and when disabled it should use even less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals View Post
It is also easier and faster than "disabling" and then telling DVDFab to quit checking, only to have to tell it to resume checking again to avoid conflicts in the future.
That's true, I suppose, but it was cptraddict who initially posted about the command-line script for DVDFab and the problem with the warning dialog appearing as well as noting disabling rather than exiting AnyDVD.

Lastly, the last thing people should do is try to manually kill the AnyDVD process. It's protected. Either disable AnyDVD or exit it but don't try to kill the process.

Anyway, to each their own. In the end the important thing is getting the job done. I just don't agree that completely exiting AnyDVD is the best thing to do.
Old 20-07-2009   #14
AGJ
MyCE Resident

Quote:
I just don't agree that completely exiting AnyDVD is the best thing to do.
Sorry to say but I have to agree with this
AGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009   #15
MyCE Die Hard

Quote:
You aren't arguing with a moderator when I post here. I'm simply posting as a normal user.

For people who have AnyDVD installed the preferable way to handle not using it is to just disable rather than exit it.

Valid point however you said cptraddict was incorrect when he mentioned disabling rather than exiting AnyDVD. cptraddict was actually correct. For the purpose of using the script the check in DVDFab would need to be disabled.

What I stated was that if you simply disable and not exit AnyDVD then AnyDVD is in no way impacting another program accessing the drive. DVDFab won't have a problem caused by AnyDVD fiddling with the data.

Quite honestly the AnyDVD process does not use many resources and when disabled it should use even less.

That's true, I suppose, but it was cptraddict who initially posted about the command-line script for DVDFab and the problem with the warning dialog appearing as well as noting disabling rather than exiting AnyDVD.

Lastly, the last thing people should do is try to manually kill the AnyDVD process. It's protected. Either disable AnyDVD or exit it but don't try to kill the process.

Anyway, to each their own. In the end the important thing is getting the job done. I just don't agree that completely exiting AnyDVD is the best thing to do.

I'm glad you stopped by to post...it's always good to have another, informed opinion available...I know I always learn something...

All I was doing was letting the OP know the way I would handle a similar situation (which is all any of us can do) - exiting AnyDVD may not be the best way of handling it, but it is the fastest, easiest, and fills the OPs requirements as stated.

I've seen that disable option on AnyDVD, but never appreciated what it did 'til you explained it. Thanks.

OC

Old 20-07-2009   #16
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Thanks again everyone for your assistance.
cptraddict
Glad that took care of your problem
and pay no mind with all the disagreements between the other users, always go with what works best for you

Have a nice week my friend