Old 19-07-2009   #1
New on Forum

Cannot play DVD fab movie disks on laptop, but ok on desktop

Hi,

An interesting problem I would love some answers about.

I have been using DVD fab (now 6.0.1.0) ok for years now without any problems.

However recently I bought a new Lenovo desktop and am now using my old Dell inspiron 8500 laptop just to play movies, on the road.

I also upgraded my laptop from XP to Vista.

So a few days ago I went to sit down and enjoy a movie I had copied using DVDFab (a movie I own and legally copied I would add). However it would not work, it would not even recognise the disk was in. Just a lot of clicking noises from the drive.

Drive is QSI sbw-242 CD writer/DVD reader combo

Also interestingly I get the same problem with my wifes laptop which is also a Dell, but model Inspiron 5100 and also cannot play these disks copied via DVDFab. This uses a different DVD drive.

Is this a problem with Dell, as my Lenovo PC works fine??

So upon a lot of investigation:-

1. Movies work fine on desktop
2. Tried it with a few movies copied via DVD fab on my laptop and same issue, yet original movies work fine
3. Tried changing DVD booktype to DVD-ROM for DVD+RW disks, as suggested and same problem.
4. Just for the thrill of it, even installed XP on a dual boot on my laptop in case problem was with Vista and exactly same problem.

In conclusion beginning to think this may be due to type of disks. I am using Memorex DVD+RW disks. I shall buy some Verbatim disks in a few days and test burn movies with DVDFab and see what happens.

Also for kicks I will install Windows 7 RC on my laptop and test if same problem although I expect it will be as does not appear to be due to OS.

This is a bit frustrating, as I just want to sit down at my laptop and enjoy a movie, and at the moment cannot!!

Any ideas gratefully appreciated

Regards

PS first post on here so please forgive me if this has already been answered.

mpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009   #2
MyCE Die Hard

Re: Cannot play DVD fab movie disks on laptop, but ok on desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatrick View Post
Hi,

An interesting problem I would love some answers about.

I have been using DVD fab (now 6.0.1.0) ok for years now without any problems.

However recently I bought a new Lenovo desktop and am now using my old Dell inspiron 8500 laptop just to play movies, on the road.

I also upgraded my laptop from XP to Vista.

So a few days ago I went to sit down and enjoy a movie I had copied using DVDFab (a movie I own and legally copied I would add). However it would not work, it would not even recognise the disk was in. Just a lot of clicking noises from the drive.

Drive is QSI sbw-242 CD writer/DVD reader combo

Also interestingly I get the same problem with my wifes laptop which is also a Dell, but model Inspiron 5100 and also cannot play these disks copied via DVDFab. This uses a different DVD drive.

Is this a problem with Dell, as my Lenovo PC works fine??

So upon a lot of investigation:-

1. Movies work fine on desktop
2. Tried it with a few movies copied via DVD fab on my laptop and same issue, yet original movies work fine
3. Tried changing DVD booktype to DVD-ROM for DVD+RW disks, as suggested and same problem.
4. Just for the thrill of it, even installed XP on a dual boot on my laptop in case problem was with Vista and exactly same problem.

In conclusion beginning to think this may be due to type of disks. I am using Memorex DVD+RW disks. I shall buy some Verbatim disks in a few days and test burn movies with DVDFab and see what happens.

Also for kicks I will install Windows 7 RC on my laptop and test if same problem although I expect it will be as does not appear to be due to OS.

This is a bit frustrating, as I just want to sit down at my laptop and enjoy a movie, and at the moment cannot!!

Any ideas gratefully appreciated

Regards

PS first post on here so please forgive me if this has already been answered.

Changing the media will probably certainly help, but if you can, I'd suggest a change in drives, as the ones they put in laptops as default drives are usually not top-of-the-line (to say the least...).

That the disks will play in your desktop should be a pretty good indicator of that.

OC

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009   #3
Nightwatchman

Look at the specs of the drive that won't play them. It may not play RWs. DVD-ROM drives are generally not as good at reading discs as drives that record as well. The specs have to be tighter for a recorder. Try a regular DVDR disc instead of an RW.
signals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009   #4
New on Forum

Hi to everyone who replied.

Thanks so much for your quick replies, I appreciate it.

I will buy some Verbatim disks today and test and let you know.

I will not bother to upgrade the drive in my laptop, although I agree they are not as good quality.

I have a solution now, whenever I want to sit down to watch a movie and dont want to watch it on my desktop (not as comfortable) I just plug in my freecom DVD writer to my laptop and watch the movie, which works - SORTED

Regards

michael
Old 24-07-2009   #5
New on Forum

Hi

Ok Tested with Verbatim DVD-R disks and all works perfectly on my laptop.

So the moral of the tale is no more buying cheaper DVD disks, for me only Verbatim will do!!

Regards

Michael