Old 26-08-2009   #1
New on Forum

Recommended Slot Loading Slim Line DVD for PC Desktop

Hello all, first post!

I'm starting to get the parts together for a new Desktop build and want to include a laptop style optical drive to fit into the top of the case (mainly for space reasons).

Specs I need are:

• Slot Loading
• Read and write all the normal DVD formats
• Be SATA preferably
• Not too loud
• Be reliable

The build will be used mainly for gaming so I just need something "workhorse" like as opposed to all singing and dancing. Any suggestions very much appreciated!

Many Thanks in advance.
mark_roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Recommended Slot Loading Slim Line DVD for PC Desktop

@ mark_roch,

Welcome to the Forum.

If one of your goals is reliability then a SlimeLine Optical Drive is a poor choice. Compared to a Half Height Optical Drive a SlimeLine Optical Drive is a poor performer. SlimeLine Optical Drives are poorly supported with Firmware, are very “Media Picky”, slower than a Half Height Optical Drive, and the mean time to failure rate is higher than a Half Height Optical Drive.

A SlimeLine Optical Drive could never be considered a "WorkHorse" when compared to a Half Height Optical Drive. If you are a “Gamer” a Half Height Optical Drive is far superior performer than a SlimeLine Optical Drive.

Regards,
bjkg
bjkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009   #3
New on Forum

Thanks for the reply! I'm fitting water cooling into the case and only have enough room for a slimline (I think), could you recommend any half height's? I could give them a measure and see if it'd squeeze in.
mark_roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009   #4
MyCE Resident

@ mark_roch,

Half Height Optical Drive have a standard uniform size. You can use any Half Height Optical Drive as ‘Template’ to see if you have sufficient clearance size space in your “Desktop Build” for a Half Height DVD Burner.

The CDFreaks “Writer User Reviews and Comments” and/or “CD and DVD Writers” Forums have numerous “What DVD Burner To Buy” type Forum postings. Suggest reviewing those types of Forum postings to see which Half Height DVD Burners are highly recommended.

Regards,
bjkg
bjkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #5
MyCE Resident

Slot loading is a really bad idea except you have a very clean environment.......

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote