Old 02-07-2007   #1
New on Forum

DVD Burner - IDE or SATA Interface?

I'm a complete noob here, and also when it comes to buying a DVD burner. I apologize if this topic has been covered hundreds of times here. I was referred here by a fellow member of SilentPCReview.com.

I'm getting ready to build my first PC. The PC will not be a gaming or home theater rig - the most intense activity will be photo editing (and possibly some video editing if I ever buy a camcorder). I want powerful and quiet.

I need a CD/DVD burner mostly for loading software, and making backups of data, photos, etc. I occasionally make music mix CDs for my wife and I also.

I will need one drive for sure, and am leaning towards the SATA interface as the cables are smaller (better for airflow inside the case it would seem). I am trying to make a decision between getting a bruner with the IDE interface or the SATA interface, and have some questions:

1. Is the SATA interface better than IDE?
2. If the SATA interface is the way to go, are there many drives out there that are of good quality?
3. If there are quality SATA DVD bruners out there, can you suggest one or two? I need it with a black bezel.

I am building a Core 2 Duo system with an E6600 CPU and an Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard. I will be running Windows XP Pro SP2 to start with, and may possibly switch to Vista down the road (once one or two service pack updates are released by MS). I will be using a P812 case from Antec.

My main priorities for a burner (in order) are as follows:
- able to burn CDs and DVDs, and also dual-layer DVDs
- accurate CD and DVD creation (low frequency of producing a drink coaster)
- low noise relative to other drives out there

Thanks in advance for helping this noob make a purchase decision.

Jason
Jason W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: DVD Burner - IDE or SATA Interface?

SATA offers no benefits at all when it comes to optical drives, unless you count airflow. In fact, there are a number of motherboards that just won't work and very little way to determine compatibility before hand. Add that to the problems if you ever want an external enclosure and you have an technology that no one wanted other than the MB manufacturers. This way they can dump IDE.

In any case, it is the wave of the future. I would recommend Pioneer and Samsung and LG if it is offered as they are very good for most Verbatim media.

And welcome to the forum. BTW, Newegg.com is a great source.
Old 02-07-2007   #3
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039
SATA offers no benefits at all when it comes to optical drives, unless you count airflow. In fact, there are a number of motherboards that just won't work and very little way to determine compatibility before hand. Add that to the problems if you ever want an external enclosure and you have an technology that no one wanted other than the MB manufacturers. This way they can dump IDE.

In any case, it is the wave of the future. I would recommend Pioneer and Samsung and LG if it is offered as they are very good for most Verbatim media.

And welcome to the forum. BTW, Newegg.com is a great source.
Thanks for the reply. I have purchased many items from Newegg and will use them almost exclusively for this build.

I don't have a problem going with IDE drives, especially if it reduces headaches like the drive not being recognized. I figure the case is big enough to allow me to properly route IDE cables to not hinder airflow too much, and I am not planning on extreme overclocking or anything like that.

Newegg currently shows 8 SATA DVD burners with a black bezel, as follows:

LG 18x - Model GSA-H62NK
Sony NEC Optiarc 18x - Model AD-7170S-0B
ASUS 18x - Model DRW-1814BLT
LITE-ON 20x - Model LH-20A1S OEM BK
LITE-ON 20x - Model LH-20A1L-06
LITE-ON 20x - Model LH-20A1L-05
Pioneer 18x - Model DVR-212DBK
Samsung 18x - Model SH-S183L

Anyone have any experience with any of these and know of any compatibility issues with an Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard and Windows XP Pro SP2?

Newegg lists many more IDE options with a black bezel - too many to list here. Trying to sort through all of those will take lots of time, unless any of you here have any suggestions/recommendations for IDE drives.

Regards.

Jason
Old 02-07-2007   #4
CD Freaks Member

Hi
Welcome onboard Jason W.
Of the drives you list the Pioneer DVR-212 stands out.
If you want 20x & can wait a few weeks then the Samsung SH-S203B is a drive to look at too. (Has a different chipset to the 183).
Old 02-07-2007   #5
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebadee
Hi
Welcome onboard Jason W.
Of the drives you list the Pioneer DVR-212 stands out.
If you want 20x & can wait a few weeks then the Samsung SH-S203B is a drive to look at too. (Has a different chipset to the 183).
Thanks for the warm welcome.

The Newegg reviews of that Pioneer drive are not very flattering... what about it stands out for you?

I can wait until the end of July probably at the latest. I hear Intel is dropping their prices around July 18, so I am waiting to buy the components until then at the earliest.

I'm not terribly picky or brand loyal - but I want a drive with a black bezel that can reliably burn a CD or a DVD (including dual-layer DVDs), and reliably read a CD or DVD. I honestly don't care if it burns reliably at it's fastest listed speed or not, but I don't want to have to burn at 1X either in order to burn reliably.

Regards,

Jason
Old 02-07-2007   #6
CE Freak

SATA burners want to be run in IDE-compatibility mode. If you want to use the full potential of SATA (2) hard disks, you have to be careful: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=221776 .
Cressida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #7
CD Freaks Member

Hi
A lot of the newegg reviews are based on the initial f/w. The current f/w is better.
Plus look at the # of DVDRWs' Pioneer sell. The bad reviews are but a drop in the ocean.
The Pioneer does well with SL DVD, but also is great with DL. CDs' not bad either.
The Samsung looks like being an excellent allrounder. DVD & CDR alike,
Old 03-07-2007   #8
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cressida
SATA burners want to be run in IDE-compatibility mode. If you want to use the full potential of SATA (2) hard disks, you have to be careful: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=221776 .
I'm not following that thread at all. It has my head spinning.

Can you explain the problem in more simple terms?

I was planning on having 2 SATA 3GB/s hard drives internally (one for OS & software, one for data) and one external SATA 3GB/s drive for backup of the data drive. Then one SATA optical drive, possibly two.

Obviously if I go with SATA optical drives, I would need to use them to load Windows XP. I will also have a floppy/flash reader combo drive as well, so if I need to make any floppies with drivers I can do that prior to the install.

I guess I just need to better understand the issues. Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Regards.

Jason
Old 03-07-2007   #9
Retired Moderator & Reviewer

Jason, I am running my new C2D system with the ASUS P5K Deluxe board; running 2 SATA ODD and 5 IDE ODD without any problems in an Armor case.

The 212 is a good choice; I think the Samsung S203B is a very good choice also, currently my favorite of the two.
~KIPPER~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #10
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipper
Jason, I am running my new C2D system with the ASUS P5K Deluxe board; running 2 SATA ODD and 5 IDE ODD without any problems in an Armor case.

The 212 is a good choice; I think the Samsung S203B is a very good choice also, currently my favorite of the two.
I can't find the S203B at Newegg... is there a reputable on-line store that carries it currently?

Thanks!

Jason
Old 03-07-2007   #11
New on Forum

apparently the S203B is only available in canada at this point.

i'm looking for basically the same requirements as you are...debating between a samsung 182D/M (requires modified firmware to fix a lead-in writing issue on DVD-R media) or a Pioneer 112D. These are IDE drives - still not sure about the SATA thing since a few people do seem to be having compatibility issues.

Seems like Pioneer may be a bit less reliable, especially with CD burning? I'm still trying to figure all this out, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
mikea128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #12

Jason

You can order the 203 from NCIXUS.com, the drive is not that much money but shipping to the US is about 18.00 and should arrive in about 3 days I think.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/24649...FBEBN/Samsung/
Old 03-07-2007   #13
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipper
Jason

You can order the 203 from NCIXUS.com, the drive is not that much money but shipping to the US is about 18.00 and should arrive in about 3 days I think.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/24649...FBEBN/Samsung/
Thanks Kipper. Shipping with them to my house is $20, so the total cost would be about $60... that seems a little pricey. I can get the Pioneer from Newegg for about $40 after shipping... do you think the Samsung is worth the additional cash? Or maybe the Samsung will be available from newegg in the next 30 days?

Regards.

Jason
Old 03-07-2007   #14

You never know when or if it will show up at the egg; the bestbuy's history with Samsung I would think it might show up there first but it will most likely be priced higher than the NCIXUS price with shipping.
Old 30-07-2007   #15
New on Forum

Okay, I bought the Samsung SH-S203B from NCIXUS.com and it arrived late last week.

I am getting ready to begin the build process for my PC with the following components (already purchased):

Antec P182 case
Corsair HX520 power supply
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard (P35 and ICH9R chipsets)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 CPU
Scythe Ninja CPU heat sink
2GB of G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM (2GBHZ model - 2x1GB)
Gigabyte fanless GeForce 7600GS video card
Samsung SH-S203B SATA DVD burner
Mitsumi internal 3.5" Floppy / USB 2.0 flash card reader
2 Western Digital 160GB WD1600YS hard drives
2 Western Digital 500GB WD5000ABYS hard drives (one internal, one external)
Antex MX-1 eSATA / USB 2.0 external hard drive enclosure
Windows XP Pro SP@b (OEM version)

My hard drives support NCQ, and my motherboard supports AHCI. I assume I will want to take advantage of both of these, so it sounds like I will need to make a driver floppy in order to make the SH-S203B DVD burner work properly? Or not? I'm so confused!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jason
Old 30-07-2007   #16
New on Forum

Also - it appears my motherboard has 2 different SATA controllers. One of them is the ICH9R southbridge chipset, and the other is called the Gigabyte SATA2 controller (or GSATA2 controller). There are 6 SATA 3.0GB/s ports on the ICH9R chipset, and 2 SATA 3.0GB/s ports on the GSATA2 controller.

The board's BIOS allows for the following settings for both controllers:

ICH9R
1. Disabled - PATA mode
2. RAID - Enables RAID for the controller
3. AHCI - Configures the controller to AHCI mode (enables NCQ and hot-plug)

GSATA2
1. IDE - PATA mode
2. RAID/IDE - Enables RAID for the controller
2. AHCI - Configures the controller to AHCI mode (enables NCQ and hot-plug)

I may have to create a floppy with the appropriate drivers for both controllers, right? Would it be smart to have the hard drives on the ICH9R controller (since I will have more than 2 SATA hard drives) and put the SH-S203B DVD burner on the DSATA2 controller? Will this allow full finctionality of both the hard drives and the DVD drive without any conflicts?

Thanks.

Jason
Old 31-07-2007   #17
CE Freak

Gigabyte SATA2 chip, haven't seen that before. Set it to IDE and try the Samsung on there. With some luck the XP SATA driver will work here.

Set ICHR9 to AHCI to get NCQ for your HD's and use an F6-floppy with the ICHR9 SATA driver (or slipstream it into your XP-CD with nLite).

Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-08-2007   #18
CE Freak

Note: GSATA2 appears to be a relabeled JMicron chip. There's a thread about ODD's on JMicron controllers around here somewhere (but that's mostly PATA). If it doesn't like the Samsung, you should still be able to set up XP connecting the drive to ICHR9 even in AHCI mode. Whether it will behave like this in the long run, remains to be seen.
Old 28-08-2007   #19
New on Forum

New PC is up and running. I am using the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard.

I have the ICH9R chipset configured in AHCI mode (using the F6 floppy driver thing when loading Windows XP), and left the Gigabyte GSATA2 chip in IDE mode. I connected my hard drives to the ICH9R chipset and all is well. I connected the Samsung SH-S203B SATA DVD burner to the GSATA2 chip, and so far all is well also. I have not yet had tried burning a CD or DVD with this setup, but the unit reads CDs and DVDs without a hitch.

It's interesting to note that when my PC is booting into Windows, I see a screen that notifies me about having the AHCI driver installed, and it says it is for hard drives and CD drives only. This message makes me think I could have installed the DVD burner on the ICH9R chipset without any issues, but don't really feel like testing it...

Anyway, this has been my experience to date.

Regards.
Old 31-08-2007   #20
CE Freak

Some members here have reported their Samsung working in AHCI mode on ICHR9 with the latest Intel Matrix Storage drivers.