Old 12-08-2009   #1
MyCE Rookie

TSSTCorp TS-L633C driver problem

I just wanted to first say thanks to those who make this website what it is.
A special thanks to mciahel, for all the work in posting firmware update instructions for this drive.

The laptop is a new Dell Inspiron 1545, the firmware for the TS-L633C was downloaded from Dell's website here, then updated to RPC1 using MCSE per the instructions (no other changes were made, just the check box).

After flashing, the computer restarted, indeed the drive was then region free (yeah!), but now the driver cannot be found, the device has a yellow "!" next to it. The Dell support website doesn't show a driver, and Vista cannot find it automatically, neither on the computer or the internet.

Could someone please help me to correct the problem ?

Thanks!
Chipsndukes
Attached Images

chipsndukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #2
Senior Moderator

Re: TSSTCorp TS-L633C driver problem

Windows Vista was the first Windows OS to not support RPC1 drives. Users with an RPC1 drive would basically have to get a new RPC2 drive that supported RPC, and this is probably what users would encounter when trying to use an RPC1 drive. You will probably have to go back to the normal RPC2 firmware and use a software solution (such as AnyDVD) to access your region-free discs.

You may also try LtnRPC, which has been said to work on most drives with MediaTek chipsets (possibly including your Samsung). It may reach the same conclusion as your initial attempts with MCSE; I am not sure.
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #3
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsndukes View Post
(...)

After flashing, the computer restarted, indeed the drive was then region free (yeah!), but now the driver cannot be found, the device has a yellow "!" next to it. (...)
Could someone please help me to correct the problem ?
Have you already tried this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
Windows Vista was the first Windows OS to not support RPC1 drives.
That's ugly.
Quote:
You may also try LtnRPC, which has been said to work on most drives with MediaTek chipsets (possibly including your Samsung). It may reach the same conclusion as your initial attempts with MCSE; I am not sure.
LtnRPC was made for old Liteon drives. I would not try this with other manufacturer's drives.

TSST and Liteon drives have chipsets from the same supplier (MTK), but that's all they have in common.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009   #4
MyCE Rookie

Hello Albert and mciahel!

Thank you very much for your answers.

Quote:
Windows Vista was the first Windows OS to not support RPC1 drives. Users with an RPC1 drive would basically have to get a new RPC2 drive that supported RPC, and this is probably what users would encounter when trying to use an RPC1 drive.
This seems logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Hi,Have you already tried this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 ?
Thank you mciahel, the Fix it program gave me the following message, "The computer settings already match...and no changes have been made.". The manual method involving removing the registry keys "Upperfilter"/"Lowerfilter", which I do not have.

Right now there is no drive letter to flash back to the original firmware. I have found a program called VistaPE which should help boot to a command prompt, then I could run the flasher from DOS. Is this the right way ?

The other option may be to do a fresh install with XP, but would I get my drive letter back then ?

Thanks again for your help, gentlemen, I really appreciate it!

Chipsndukes
Old 13-08-2009   #5
MyCE Rookie

A quick update, at the same time a request for help.

Restored the drive letter by uninstalling the DVD drive and restarting. Vista still complained about not finding the drivers, but it was possible to flash the drive to the stock firmware download from the Dell website.

The problem is that Vista continues to ask for drivers which don't exist. The downloaded (latest) firmware was v.DW10. The version on the drive before flashing was v.D300.

The drive works, at this point I don't care about the RPC1 anymore, but Vista keeps asking to install drivers which are nowhere to be found (not on my computer, nor the driver CD, nor online).

Help, please...

Chipsndukes
Attached Images

Old 13-08-2009   #6
MyCE Rookie

OK, one more update.

I compared both the newly downloaded Dell firmware (v.DW10) with it's RPC1 patched counterpart, and Vista behaves the same, still asking to install the hardware and cannot find the drivers.

The RPC1 patch works (), and the issue seems to be independent of it. In fact, it seems like the firmware version is causing the issue.

If I tell Vista not to worry about installing the drivers ("ask me later"), then it leaves well enough alone, the drive appears in the device manager (without yellow !), and works perfectly.

Just that Vista thinks it needs to "install" the drive and find drivers, frankly I don't think there ever were any drivers...

help...
Chipsndukes
Old 13-08-2009   #7
Senior Moderator

Ahh, good to know you got it sorted. Thanks for reporting back, and I hope this helps others. I know I've learned something.
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009   #8
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Ahh, good to know you got it sorted. Thanks for reporting back, and I hope this helps others. I know I've learned something.
I just wanted to post back and thank you all again for your replies.

It is true that the drive is now visible and working, but Vista keeps asking to update drivers at start up, attached.

None are ever found, because in my opinion, they don't exist. Vista is just "asking to ask".

If anyone knows a solution, it would be appreciated.

Chipsndukes
PS If I select "Ask me again later", it leaves me alone, but only until the next time Vista starts...
Attached Images

Old 14-08-2009   #9
Senior Moderator

Hi,

Device manager also complains about missing drivers (or some other problem) with the SMbus controller.
You may please install latest chipset drivers for your computer and see if this helps. Perhaps this will also fix the problem with your drive.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009   #10
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Hi,

Device manager also complains about missing drivers (or some other problem) with the SMbus controller.
You may please install latest chipset drivers for your computer and see if this helps. Perhaps this will also fix the problem with your drive.

Michael
Hi Michael, thank you very much!

You know, the Dell driver installation CD did not have that driver marked as belonging to my machine (as is often the case, I have found). I was able to install that driver and get rid of the yellow !, I really appreciate your help.

Chipsndukes
Old 14-08-2009   #11
MyCE Rookie

I think the problem is solved, and would like to conclude the post (as long as nothing else goes wrong).

I forgot that this was a Dell, so I realized I could call customer support, last computer was a home-built. They checked everything that was already done before, even reflashed the drive, finally concluding that the Vista installation was corrupt (the drivers should have been there, but were not).

Since this was a fresh install (by me), it wasn't a problem to redo it. But I did re-reflash the DVD drive to RPC1 (provided by MCSE, check box) before reinstalling Vista.

This time Vista did not complain about missing drivers (yeah!), and the DVD drive, for now, seems to be region free.

That is, I put in a region 2 disc, and neither DVDShrink nor VLC Media player complained. The same thing for a region 1 disc, then repeated the process with Windows Media Player.

You can see in the device manager, that there are now driver dates (that looks a little better), and also the Region Code tab is missing (strange).

WMP choked on both the region 1 and region 2 discs.

So, my suggestion in conclusion, for someone who wants to follow my path is 1) be careful, and 2) it may be necessary to reload Vista after flashing the drive (this could have been my goof, too, because following advice on how to 'slim down' Vista, I deleted the C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\File Repository directory. Was worth 1.2 GB!)

And of course, if I have more problems, I will come crying back to here...

Thanks you all!
Chipsndukes
Attached Images

Old 14-08-2009   #12
MyCE Junior Member

Hey congrats on solving your problem. Great timing (for me)! Maybe I can go to school on what you did.

I just got a new 1545 and am working on quite a bit of "non-standardizing" it (shhhh - don't tell Dell). I just finished putting in a different drive and loading XP on that, and working through all the needed drivers for XP. I will also be wiping my original VISTA hard disk install & reloading that to get rid of all the Dell bloatware once I finish my XP config.

Long story short, I just finished all the XP drivers and the last one on my list to checkout was the DVD drive one, which is for this drive. I can see that my drive has firmware "D300". The update on Dell's website for it is "DW10" as you said. I was just now searching on "tsst ts-l633c firmware" and came upon this thread, so I might as well just ask here....

Is that the latest (& recommended) firmware for this drive? Or perhaps is there a version on the manufacturer's website who made this that might be better? And btw, who made this drive? Or is that "Tsst"??? I've never heard of them.

Is this a crappy drive (as I suspect) or "ok"? I have no experience with laptop drives and need an education on CDRFREAK approved laptop drives (have a lot of reading to do I guess).

And - from reading your thread - can I modify the Dw10 firmware with MCSE like you & flash the drive with my XP config, and then expect that my VISTA config will not balk at it? Btw, I checked some things out when I first got the PC, using the VISTA config Dell loaded, and I don't understand how/why, but I noticed that if I loaded an official USA DVD in it whatever the DVD program is that Dell installs would complain that it was the wrong region (I am IN THE USA!) and prompt that it was going to change the region (& use up one of the region changes). Infotool shows that the user (me) has 5 changes left but the vendor (Dell) has only 4, so that leads me to believe that Dell flashed it as non region 1 b4 sending it to me????? I'm confused. Anyways I want to set it to RPC1 (ignore regions) but don't want to complicate it too much for VISTA.

Actually hell, I am just going to do it now in XP. I'll just see what happens when I go back to VISTA later. Appreciate this thread and any heads up though.
slipkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009   #13
MyCE Junior Member

Uggh.

I can't get the TSDFWIN thing to do anything and am confused. Appreciate any hints as to what I am doing wrong.

I extracted the files from the Dell update and got these 2 in a "Windows" directory:
633CDW10.bin
setup.exe

I opened 633CDW10.bin with MCSE, set it to RPC1, and saved it.

Put the original 633CDW10.bin file aside for safekeeping. Renamed the new one to 633CDW10.bin, in same subdir as setup.exe.

Ran setup.exe. That opened up TSNWIN. The "select drive" was set to TSSTcorpDVD+RW TS-L633CD300. F/W File was set to "Not Opened".

Clicked search next to "not opened" and selected the 633CDW10.bin file.

Window beneath all that showed Target drive correctly, current version D300, new version of DW10, and status of "ready". All looked good to go.

Clicked "download" button.

A Caution window came up with some writing in it which is truncated and impossible to read it all. First sentence is a repeat of the warning as shown on the bottom of the TSDNWIN screen. Next sentence says
"Therefore do not turn off the PC power supply by force
the upgrade is in progress."

And beneath that it says:
"If the ODD does not operate normally after the firmware
normal use will be possible if you proceed with the firm"

Nothing else is shown. That window just sits there and hangs. I believe there must be more to the dialog but for some crazy reason I can't see it, and maybe there is instructions like "press" key such and such to proceed or such and such to cancel, but because I can't see that, I'm stuck.

Can anyone help?? I've even tried changing my system's display font size to much smaller but that has no effect. I've also tried pressing many different keyboard keys to see if I can stumble onto a magic "go ahead" acknowledgement but nothing works.

I am running Win XP SP2 on that PC right now btw.
Old 14-08-2009   #14
MyCE Rookie

Hi slipkid,

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Hey congrats on solving your problem.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Is that the latest (& recommended) firmware for this drive?
This is the firmware that the Dell representative installed. In the notes it claims to be "Windows 7 ready". It is the only version available on Dell's website.

Quote:
Or perhaps is there a version on the manufacturer's website who made this that might be better? And btw, who made this drive? Or is that "Tsst"??? I've never heard of them.
This drive is made by Toshiba/Samsung (probably manufactured by Samsung). Since it is specified by Dell, they take over all support functions. Even if a Samsung drive is supposedly the same, it's firmware will not work on this drive, I tried.

Quote:
Is this a crappy drive (as I suspect) or "ok"? I have no experience with laptop drives and need an education on CDRFREAK approved laptop drives (have a lot of reading to do I guess).
I think it is pretty decent. I did one scan in Nero CDSpeed, and it was about 90%, although this drive was not able to scan the DVD itself. There are other similar drives for which reviews/scans are posted in this forum.

Quote:
And - from reading your thread - can I modify the Dw10 firmware with MCSE like you & flash the drive with my XP config, and then expect that my VISTA config will not balk at it?
That is the way it seems, yes. Something could still go wrong.

Quote:
Btw, I checked some things out when I first got the PC, using the VISTA config Dell loaded, and I don't understand how/why, but I noticed that if I loaded an official USA DVD in it whatever the DVD program is that Dell installs would complain that it was the wrong region (I am IN THE USA!) and prompt that it was going to change the region (& use up one of the region changes). Infotool shows that the user (me) has 5 changes left but the vendor (Dell) has only 4, so that leads me to believe that Dell flashed it as non region 1 b4 sending it to me????? I'm confused. Anyways I want to set it to RPC1 (ignore regions) but don't want to complicate it too much for VISTA.
I would not load any Dell software except for the touch pad and the power management settings, below. I also would stay away from any "commercial" DVD player (you can't have you cake and eat it too, not always). I use VLC and it doesn't cause any problems.

Chipsndukes
Attached Images

Old 14-08-2009   #15
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
I extracted the files from the Dell update and got these 2 in a "Windows" directory:
633CDW10.bin
setup.exe

I opened 633CDW10.bin with MCSE, set it to RPC1, and saved it.

Ran setup.exe. That opened up TSNWIN. The "select drive" was set to TSSTcorpDVD+RW TS-L633CD300. F/W File was set to "Not Opened".

Clicked search next to "not opened" and selected the 633CDW10.bin file.

Window beneath all that showed Target drive correctly, current version D300, new version of DW10, and status of "ready". All looked good to go.

Clicked "download" button.

A Caution window came up with some writing in it which is truncated and impossible to read it all. First sentence is a repeat of the warning as shown on the bottom of the TSDNWIN screen. Next sentence says
"Therefore do not turn off the PC power supply by force
the upgrade is in progress."

And beneath that it says:
"If the ODD does not operate normally after the firmware
normal use will be possible if you proceed with the firm"
Hi slipkid,

Everything you wrote sounds OK. That window you mention has an OK button (should) that you have to press to begin the firmware update process, after which another window appears for restart, that's it.

I don't know what is happening with the text, maybe you could post a screen shot.

Chipsndukes
Old 14-08-2009   #16
MyCE Junior Member

Thanks for all your comments above chipsndukes.

I never would have known that Toshiba/Samsung make this drive (actually I'm sure if I had time to read more up here at this excellent forum I'd learn that!).

I have a ton of work to do still on both my XP build (and my VISTA rebuild) and eventually I will get to testing this drive with various media. Encouraging to hear it is OK. When I bought the PC from Dell I just selected the lowest default DVD option intending to upgrade it later myself after I have time to research good laptop drives.

As far as this:

Quote:
Hi slipkid,

Everything you wrote sounds OK. That window you mention has an OK button (should) that you have to press to begin the firmware update process, after which another window appears for restart, that's it.

I don't know what is happening with the text, maybe you could post a screen shot.

Chipsndukes

Aha, that is my problem. That entire window is not displaying and I can't see any buttons to press!!!!

I just tried it again on the offchance that since I know now the button says "OK" that maybe if I press the "O" button on my keyboard that would trigger it, but no luck.

I'll keep head scratching about how to run it under XP but if worst comes to worst I'll try it later when I get back to my VISTA build.
Old 14-08-2009   #17
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Aha, that is my problem. That entire window is not displaying and I can't see any buttons to press!!!!

I just tried it again on the offchance that since I know now the button says "OK" that maybe if I press the "O" button on my keyboard that would trigger it, but no luck.
I looked online for you for a screenshot of the TSDNWIN application, so you could see how it is supposed to look.

-Here are the instructions from Dell (click on the little plus character next to installation instructions): Dell instructions

-Here is a thread found on this very website (maybe helpful, scroll down a little): CD Freaks rules

-Here is probably the most useful information (for you) from the Samsung website: TSDNWIN screen shots

Good luck with rebuilding your new laptop.

Chipsndukes
Old 15-08-2009   #18
MyCE Junior Member

Thanks again!

The screenshots are what I'm seeing except that the warning window is all screwed up & truncated, such that I do NOT get the OK button!

I am making a lot of progress with my XP build and have loaded some office apps etc & will load something now so I can create a JPG of what my screen looks like. I will post that soon (hopefully).

Switching gears I have a question about this:

Quote:
-Here are the instructions from Dell (click on the little plus character next to installation instructions): Dell instructions

That is for a TSSTCorp TS-L633B model.

My DVD drive is a TSSTCorp TS-L633C & this is the dell link for downloading it, with instructions that differ hugely from the "B"!!!
http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=325650

They don't mention anything about how to run it like they do with the B (because I think it is all streamlined as a windows app & is a no brainer).

Are you saying I should try use the dell packaged "B" firmware rather than the "C" model firmware? That there is something wrong with the program in the C version (which is why I can't see the whole screen)????

Cheers & thanks again.
Old 15-08-2009   #19
MyCE Junior Member

I got it!!!!

This is really wierd.....

I did it again and was capturing the screens as to show you guys. Actually here they are:

First is the program window after selecting the new firmware....

Next is what happens when I tell it to "download"...

But when I was capturing those I noticed if I hovered my mouse in & around that window, there was a spot at the bottom edge that changed color - to orange, from blue!!!

I captured a screen shot of that....

Then I tried clicking on that and PRESTO!!!! The truncated warning message screen disappeared and the status bar beneath the original window showed it was thinking etc. That took about 2-3 minutes then it finished and triggered a reboot.

The wierdness wasn't over for me yet though; as soon as my PC rebooted and went back into Windoze, it nagged me that my configuration had significantly changed and that I had to reactive Windoze and get a new activation key!!!! WTF????

I've done about 10 firmware upgrades or more the past 10 years on different drives and I've never had that happen.

And it gets wierder - the activation nag said I could do it now OR must do it within 3 days. So I selected to do it now. I chose the option to do it over the phone (I like that better than the 'net way), got to the next screen where usually the activation shows you a long string of numbers to read over the phone to get a new key but guess what - there were NO NUMBERS filled it!!!

The microsoft robot lady I talked to didn't understand that and eventually connected me to a live human being - who told me to try shutting down and then powering up, which I did, then again the reactivation nag came up, but this time there were #s for me to tell them to get a new activation key. Whew.

Good news is that then checking the drive the new firmware is flashed in OK and shows region is "n/a". Guess I will see later how VISTA reacts to that when I put my VISTA drive back in....
Attached Images

Old 15-08-2009   #20
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
That is for a TSSTCorp TS-L633B model.
my mistake, sorry.

Quote:
I got it!!!!

Good news is that then checking the drive the new firmware is flashed in OK and shows region is "n/a". Guess I will see later how VISTA reacts to that when I put my VISTA drive back in....
Well, your situation was different then mine, but both had in common funny things happening as a result of firmware flashing.

I am glad you got your situation worked out, and hope that the Vista installation goes better. It would be interesting to hear back if you have the same problems with Vista that I had, or if that was another one of my "mistakes".

Peace,
Chipsndukes
Old 20-08-2009   #21
MyCE Junior Member

Quote:
my mistake, sorry.

Well, your situation was different then mine, but both had in common funny things happening as a result of firmware flashing.

I am glad you got your situation worked out, and hope that the Vista installation goes better. It would be interesting to hear back if you have the same problems with Vista that I had, or if that was another one of my "mistakes".

Peace,
Chipsndukes

I just put my Vista drive in. This is still the original Dell VISTA install, not yet wiped by me to remove all the Dell crapware/bloatware.

The first thing it did after booting up was to say that "new hardware" was detected and that it was searching for updates, referencing the TS-L633C. I was afraid it was going to complain in some way like what happened to you but shortly thereafter it just said something like "new hardware installed".

I haven't actually tested the drive in VISTA yet though because then right away something popped up called "Dell Datasafe Local Backup Basic Edition" that I hadn't seen before. It said it was going to create local system recovery discs and could do so to DVD. Since this is something that I wanted to do/research before wiping VISTA and deleting both the hidden EISA diag partition and the recovery partition, I told it to go ahead.....but the thing just sits there now as "initializing" at 0% complete and appears to be stuck! And it won't let me Cancel it or close that window. Sheesh.

To stop it I had to get into task manager & kill the process.

Now strangely just launching NeroInfotool causes that Dell Datasafe thing to relaunch itself! I think everytime I reference the burner this damn thing wakes up?? Actually it keeps on coming on every couple minutes all by itself; urging me to upgrade to the paid version, and wanting to make recovery discs etc.

Finally I found a way to tell it to stop nagging me (had to tell it to "Never" remind me to create a recovery disc). Would have liked to create one though but it appears to not even work. I have no idea what is up with that or if it is related to the burner at all.

To just test to see if I can burn anything I ran NeroDiscSpeed and created a test disc. That at least works.

Will have to see if it can play DVDs now without doing wierd region things - out of the box for any official DVD that I tried to play which was set as region 1 (where I am) the PC would complain that it was the wrong region!

Sheesh. I still have that same problem. Trying to play a DVD it comes up with something called "PowerDVD DX". No matter what disc I put in (if it has a region set), that program complains that there is a "dvd region error" and is "unable to play this DVD because it does not match the region code of your disc player."

I think that is just a garbage bloatware app, so screw that, it is not something I will be installing after wiping & reinstalling VISTA anyways.

I quickly tried mediaplayerclassic and that works but the sound is all screwed up. I don't have any time to futz with the VISTA stuff now though, and will be completely wiping that out and reinstalling it anyways, so I'll tackle all this later....
Old 20-08-2009   #22
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
The first thing it did after booting up was to say that "new hardware" was detected and that it was searching for updates, referencing the TS-L633C. I was afraid it was going to complain in some way like what happened to you but shortly thereafter it just said something like "new hardware installed".

I haven't actually tested the drive in VISTA yet though because then right away something popped up called "Dell Datasafe Local Backup Basic Edition" that I hadn't seen before. It said it was going to create local system recovery discs and could do so to DVD. Since this is something that I wanted to do/research before wiping VISTA and deleting both the hidden EISA diag partition and the recovery partition, I told it to go ahead.....but the thing just sits there now as "initializing" at 0% complete and appears to be stuck! And it won't let me Cancel it or close that window. Sheesh.

To stop it I had to get into task manager & kill the process.

Now strangely just launching NeroInfotool causes that Dell Datasafe thing to relaunch itself! I think everytime I reference the burner this damn thing wakes up?? Actually it keeps on coming on every couple minutes all by itself; urging me to upgrade to the paid version, and wanting to make recovery discs etc.

Finally I found a way to tell it to stop nagging me (had to tell it to "Never" remind me to create a recovery disc). Would have liked to create one though but it appears to not even work. I have no idea what is up with that or if it is related to the burner at all.

Will have to see if it can play DVDs now without doing wierd region things - out of the box for any official DVD that I tried to play which was set as region 1 (where I am) the PC would complain that it was the wrong region!

Sheesh. I still have that same problem. Trying to play a DVD it comes up with something called "PowerDVD DX". No matter what disc I put in (if it has a region set), that program complains that there is a "dvd region error" and is "unable to play this DVD because it does not match the region code of your disc player."

I think that is just a garbage bloatware app, so screw that, it is not something I will be installing after wiping & reinstalling VISTA anyways.

I quickly tried mediaplayerclassic and that works but the sound is all screwed up. I don't have any time to futz with the VISTA stuff now though, and will be completely wiping that out and reinstalling it anyways, so I'll tackle all this later....
Hi slipkid,

I'm glad to hear that you didn't have the same issues that I had, I think deleting the drivers caused my issue.

It sounds like you had some issues with the Dell-installed software. I installed Vista fresh, deleted the restore partition and created only 2, one of 30GB for the operating system, and one of 120GB for my "working drive". I do have a Dell Wireless software program, and I did install the touch pad utility (getting ready to uninstall it), but otherwise not a single Dell application (reference my picture a few posts up).

If you can avoid using any commercial software for playing DVD's that would be better, IMHO. VLC does the job for me, but does not come with any of the "baggage". Another example is ImgBurn. I clung to Nero for a while, but finally got over it and learned the ImgBurn interface. I wouldn't have anything else now.

Some things that will hopefully help you as you prepare for you fresh install of Vista. Good luck, I hope you get your computer working soon.

Chipsndukes
Old 21-08-2009   #23
MyCE Junior Member

Quote:
Hi slipkid,

I'm glad to hear that you didn't have the same issues that I had, I think deleting the drivers caused my issue.

It sounds like you had some issues with the Dell-installed software. I installed Vista fresh, deleted the restore partition and created only 2, one of 30GB for the operating system, and one of 120GB for my "working drive". I do have a Dell Wireless software program, and I did install the touch pad utility (getting ready to uninstall it), but otherwise not a single Dell application (reference my picture a few posts up).

If you can avoid using any commercial software for playing DVD's that would be better, IMHO. VLC does the job for me, but does not come with any of the "baggage". Another example is ImgBurn. I clung to Nero for a while, but finally got over it and learned the ImgBurn interface. I wouldn't have anything else now.

Some things that will hopefully help you as you prepare for you fresh install of Vista. Good luck, I hope you get your computer working soon.

Chipsndukes

Thanks Chips. I agree 100%, best to wipe the Dell boatware crap & start fresh, only install the Dell drivers that are needed for particular hardware (EG: ethernet, wireless, keypad, chipset, video, sound, etc). Also there is one thing useful from the Dell "applications" called "Quickset", that I really like with XP, lets you do all kinds of thing with the video, battery monitor, etc, that I think is also for VISTA that I want to load. The rest I will be avoiding.

And you are dead on with avoiding most commercial software for burning or playing DVDs or music - almost all of that is loaded with crap you don't need, don't want, and will never use. Much better to stick with well designed software not trying to do anything but what it is that it is supposed to be doing in the first place - like IMGBURN.

I plan on deleting my Dell restore partition too. Btw, there is one other partition on there also, that you can't see within Windows - it is for Dell diagnostics. Unlike the Restore partition (which is like 15gb on mine) the diag partition is only a couple hundred MB (I 4get the exact size). As far as I am concerned it is also unneeded, especially since as I understand it, should you ever need to run Dell diags, they can be run booted up from the Utilities DVD.

The diagnostic paritition is called "EISA" and these links talk about it (and how to get rid of it). I plan on killing it as part of my wiping/reinstalling of VISTA.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...tion-in-vista/

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm

Probably not worth messing now for you if you already reloaded Vista because killing it after the fact might screw something up with the master boot record and screw something up though (?). Doesn't take up much space. I figure since I haven't already reloaded the opsys it makes sense for me to wipe it along with everything else.
Old 21-08-2009   #24
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
I plan on deleting my Dell restore partition too. Btw, there is one other partition on there also, that you can't see within Windows - it is for Dell diagnostics. Unlike the Restore partition (which is like 15gb on mine) the diag partition is only a couple hundred MB (I 4get the exact size). As far as I am concerned it is also unneeded, especially since as I understand it, should you ever need to run Dell diags, they can be run booted up from the Utilities DVD.

The diagnostic paritition is called "EISA" and these links talk about it (and how to get rid of it). I plan on killing it as part of my wiping/reinstalling of VISTA.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...tion-in-vista/

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm

Probably not worth messing now for you if you already reloaded Vista because killing it after the fact might screw something up with the master boot record and screw something up though (?). Doesn't take up much space. I figure since I haven't already reloaded the opsys it makes sense for me to wipe it along with everything else.
Hey slipkid,

I appreciate the advice. I was wondering what that little partition was and how it got there, since I didn't create it. I'll probably follow your recommendation and leave it, it's really small.

Thanks for the tip about "Quickset", too. Does that do fan control as well ? I am using I8kfanGUI, but the manual fan speed controls don't work, my other Dell Laptop didn't have a problem...

Thanks!
Chipsndukes
Old 21-08-2009   #25
MyCE Junior Member

Quote:
Hey slipkid,

Thanks for the tip about "Quickset", too. Does that do fan control as well ? I am using I8kfanGUI, but the manual fan speed controls don't work, my other Dell Laptop didn't have a problem...

Thanks!
Chipsndukes
Looking in Quickset now in XP it has functions for the wireless ("radio control options"), battery meter, power management wizard, display settings, function key behavior, and system information (which just runs windoze sysinfo). I don't see anything about controlling the fan. So far I've really only used the Battery meter, power management wizard, and display setting pieces of that but have found them all handy.

Did you install the "chipset" drivers (which I believe are essential)? If you didn't maybe doing that will help with your fan gui thing?

Btw, all the various drivers should be on your DRIVERS AND UTILITIES DVD and I think it might automatically pick what's needed for your PC (but I haven't looked at it yet).

For XP I manually downloaded the right drivers from Dell's support site and will probably do the same thing for the ones I downloaded for VISTA (they might be newer than what is on the DVD). But if something doesn't work I'll try going back to the DVD & see what that does.

You can see the drivers on Dell's website by going to http://support.dell.com. Enter your service tag number (or model # 1545), select the opsys (vista 32 or 64 bit).

Quickset is grouped under "applications" on the driver page. You have to click on the + sign next to each type of driver to expand the list to see all of the drivers. The page is heavy with very slow and annoying Javascript btw.

The only one of the "applications" that I think is worth getting is Quickset. There are others there that I can't see any use for (support center, PC tuneup, remote access, dock application, games).

You should apply some of the other drivers too, depending on your hardware. For my PC I need:
Audio - IDT 92h271b
BIOS (check to see what version yours are - my PC was older so I updated them when installing XP)
Chipset - intel gm45
Chipset - realtek card reader
Input Device Drivers - Alps Touchpad
Network - wireless 1397/1510 half mini card
Network - 88E80XX 10/100 ethernet
SATA drives - Intel Matrix storage manager DRIVER (skip the application one, it is unnecessary for us)
Video - Intel GM45 video driver

I'm curious if you installed any of these when you reinstalled VISTA on your 1545. My impression was if you don't you'll lose some functionality or some things may not work right (& may seem some flags in device manager). For XP it was real dramatic and obvious for a bunch of 'em (eg: video and the SATA driver). Again though I haven't tackled the VISTA part yet.