Old 18-02-2009   #1
New on Forum

TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S222A

I just bought and installed the TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S222A dvd write drive for my PC running Windows XP Home OS. When I go to access my drive from My Computer, I get an error message stating: D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function. It also won't autoplay. I know it is properly installed and is compatible. What can I do to fix this?
setmaster421x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009   #2
Senior Moderator

Re: TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S222A

Hi and Welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by setmaster421x View Post
I just bought and installed the TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S222A dvd write drive for my PC running Windows XP Home OS. When I go to access my drive from My Computer, I get an error message stating: D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function. It also won't autoplay.
What did you want to do as you got the error message?

First check, if it is a hardware or a Windows issue: get a bootable CD and try to boot from the drive.
Additionally: check if your drive can read commercially pressed data and audio CDs as well as Video and data DVD discs. Then try the same with burned discs (data and audio, CD and DVD).

Please also report back, what controller is used to connect the drive. Some add-on P-ATA controllers are not very compatible with optical drives.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009   #3
New on Forum

Ok. I tried my Windows XP setup cd and it accessed perfectly fine. the disc i had in when i got the error was a blank, unused dvd-r. do I need some other type of recordable dvd disc?
setmaster421x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009   #4
yyy
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Ok. I tried my Windows XP setup cd and it accessed perfectly fine. the disc i had in when i got the error was a blank, unused dvd-r. do I need some other type of recordable dvd disc?
It is perfectly normal to get this kind of error when you try to access an optical drive with no media or blank media in it!!

Try with discs that already contain something (like your xp setup CD)
yyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009   #5
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
as already stated, this is perfectly normal. Windows XP has a built-in CD burning engine, but this is not designed to handle DVD media.

To write to blank DVD media, you need DVD writing software. If your drive didn't come with a copy of Nero (Express), then try the free Imgburn.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote