Old 28-09-2009   #1
New on Forum

SH-S223Q no longer seen by Windows 7

I've been running the release candidate of Windows 7 (64 bit) for the last couple of months. I've been using the SH-S223Q and up until now, it's been working fine, and I haven't had any problems.

This past weekend, I was checking out some of the virtual CD programs, including Daemon Tools, ISO Magic, etc. After installing (and uninstalling) a few of these programs, I put a DVD in the drive and it wasn't recognized.

I've tried uninstalling the drive in the properties, then re-installing it and doing a new hardware search. It finds the drive, but is unable to install it properly.

I'm guessing that some driver got stomped or something by one of the installations.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks
CyberGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009   #2
New on Forum

Re: SH-S223Q no longer seen by Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGooch View Post
I've been running the release candidate of Windows 7 (64 bit) for the last couple of months. I've been using the SH-S223Q and up until now, it's been working fine, and I haven't had any problems.

This past weekend, I was checking out some of the virtual CD programs, including Daemon Tools, ISO Magic, etc. After installing (and uninstalling) a few of these programs, I put a DVD in the drive and it wasn't recognized.

I've tried uninstalling the drive in the properties, then re-installing it and doing a new hardware search. It finds the drive, but is unable to install it properly.

I'm guessing that some driver got stomped or something by one of the installations.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks
Running Daemon Tools (now it works) on Win 7 RC1 64bit with the same SH=S223Q drive without issues.

Whilst Daemon tools wasn't working I tried a few different ones myself and vaguely remember my DVD drive going missing.

Your answer is the wonderful backup of "System restore". Right click "Computer" (whether you've got it on your desktop or left it in the "Start" menu) and select properties. Select "System protection" in the left-hand pane. In the dialog box that appears, click the "System restore" button about 1/3 of the way down. Follow the wizard and Win 7 will go and do its stuff and reboot. Note, you may need to tick the "show more restore points" box when it gives you the list of them. Make sure you select the correct drive too (system drive - which is usually "C").

Note also that anything you've installed since the restore point and system settings you've changed will get vanished.
tonywalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009   #3
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywalk View Post
...Your answer is the wonderful backup of "System restore"...
Thanks for the reply tonywalk, but I don't think System Restore is going to bail me out this time. I've gone to my oldest restore point and the problem is still there.

What's strange is that you're not even supposed to have to install drivers for CD/DVD players, right? It should just get installed automagically by Windows?

So it seems like either some system software got messed up, or my drive suddenly died. If I uninstall it in properties and reboot, it sees it, but says:

"Device driver software was not successfully installed.
Please consult with your device manufacturer yadda yadda...

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q ATA Device X Failed"

Any other ideas?
Old 28-09-2009   #4
New on Forum

Woot! Fixed!

After doing some more googling, found some people that had the same error, but in Vista. Tried the fix they suggested, and it worked. Here's the link:

Drive Not Recognized

The short version:

# In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
# In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
# On the Edit menu, click Delete.
___

I did not have a LowerFilters entry, just the UpperFilters. Deleted it and rebooted, and my drive is back.

Whew!

One of the older programs I installed must have changed that registry setting.