Old 18-11-2009   #26
Dee
Senior Administrator and Reviewer

re: Samsung SH-S223B/SH-S223C testing and observations

Every ODD manufacturer that i know have produced drives at one point or another that were less than fantastic.
Lite-On had a bad spell, NEC/Optiarc had a bad spell with their 45xx/47xx series of drives. Lite-On and Optiarc bounced back.
It's pretty unfair to bad mouth a company, on the strength that they made one series of drives that didn't live up to expectations, IMO.

MyCE SSD Reviews

To become a member of MyCE.com just click here to join
The Forum Rules | The SSD FAQ | The NEC/Optiarc F.A.Q. | Liggy & Dee's NEC/Optiarc Firmware Page
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009   #27
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Every ODD manufacturer that i know have produced drives at one point or another that were less than fantastic.
Lite-On had a bad spell, NEC/Optiarc had a bad spell with their 45xx/47xx series of drives. Lite-On and Optiarc bounced back.
It's pretty unfair to bad mouth a company, on the strength that they made one series of drives that didn't live up to expectations, IMO.
Yep, I agree. As long as you have a way to return the drive for a refund, no one is being cheated. It may not be working up to your standards, but these things do happen. Get a refund, then share your experience with others on forums like these. No need for all the hyperbole over a single drive model. If Samsung had been making entire lines of bad products, that would be news, but a single drive that isn't so hot? Not news. This is a new drive that may need a few firmware updates before it's working better. Who knows? The point is, alerting the media, etc., is overkill.

Where was the outrage when BenQ was selling all those DW1620 lemons? BenQ used to have a reputation for inconsistent quality control with it's drives, but people stuck with them anyway.

Where was the outrage over all those dead or semi-dead Plextor PX-716s? I still laugh at all the 716 series fangirls who refuse to acknowledge the shoddy workmanship of one of Plextor's flagship models.

Where was the outrage over the Pioneer DVR-112/212 series? Those bastards had the audacity to produce a crap drive that would randomly stop recognizing CDs, and then with their recall, they put a short time limit on when you could get it replaced.

Samsung is not the first to screw up, and they certainly won't be the last.

Quote:
This is probably the worst burner I have ever seen.
You obviously have never heard of BTC.

Last edited by negritude; 18-11-2009 at 03:15.
negritude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009   #28
MyCE Resident

Negritude, the whole x22 range of Samsung drives is rubbish, with the latest models 223B & 223C, being the most inconsistent drives I've ever seen. And yes, I know of BTC being crap, that's the reason I've never bought one.

From other posts of your's I've gathered that you are a matter-of-fact sort of guy. And here are some facts you cannot refute. It's so easy to recite recent bad burner history and be philosophical about it, when you have the essential know-how and the required experience in order to avoid bad burners, (and consequently, bad burns). Tell that to the poor ignorant S.O.B.s who burn Verbs on these Sammies and think all is good. Perhaps if it was your irreplaceable kids' photos lost, you'd be angry too and you'd want something done about it. It happened to one of Mike's customers, Mike said the guy was in tears, he lost years worth of photos and video footage burned on 67 discs, all of them MCC 004 Verbs, and that's what prompted us to test these models with this media.

Try to see things from the average user's point of view Negritude, a user who wouldn't have your knowledge or experience. Throughout the world there's bound to be quite a few of people who are probably losing irreplaceble data, because of Samsung's crappy drives. Bad burner history and people's incactivity to it doesn't mean shit - it's what it is: history. What matters, is what happens now. Have we learned anything as consumers? Do we just stoically accept such badly made products because we are too small or too divided to make a difference? Me and my friends and colleagues feel that something has to be done about it. This is our opinion, for what it's worth.

Any company that produces in our day and age a burner that can do this to a Verb should be ashamed of themselves. For me, it's case closed:
Attached Images

System: Toshiba Qosmio G40-108 with obsolete SD-L902A SATA HDDVD burner, Centrino Duo T7700 @2.40GHz, 4 gig Corsair Gaming RAM, nVidia 8600M GT 512MB softmodded to 8600GTS, 2x200 gig Toshiba MK2035GSS hard disks, Win7 Ultimate x64
Active drives: Pioneer BDC-202@1.07EU - Samsung SH-S223B@SB02 - NEC-Optiarc AD-7243S@1.03 - NEC ND-6650A@1.43 in Icy Box USB2 enclosure. Also BenQ DW1650@BCIC & DW1655@BCIB, connected on my desktop rig's PATA ports. Inactive drives: Various LiteOn, Samsung, Philips, NEC, LG, Plextor & Sony golden oldies that my girlfriend hates and wants to get rid of so she can "...make better use of the wasted space..." NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!
RESPECT & thanks to all freeware writers, and to all the users who share their knowledge with the rest of us!

Last edited by CyberMan969; 18-11-2009 at 04:01.
CyberMan969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009   #29
MyCE Senior Member

I think people in general need to be educated on computer use and the importance of data backup. It sucks that guy lost his data, but he learned a valuable lesson... Don't trust optical media as your only means of backup.

Hard discs are dirt cheap these days... buy them, use them! Look into on-line storage for photos (I use Zenfolio and Flickr). There are on-line storage sites... Before you complain about the cost of these sites, what does an optical drive and a spindle of media cost? I pay roughly $40 a year (less with referrals) for Zenfolio and I can upload full resolution photos. I backup my RAW images (dSLR user) to multiple hard drives and optical media. When a drive fills up, I buy two more to replace them (I'm a data backup fool). I'm a Ubuntu user and they have 2GB of on-line storage for free with their new Ubuntu One service (not enough for photos, but holds my personal encrypted data)... Might be worth tossing some bucks at for more space sometime in the future -- give support to open source projects. I will have to suggest you learn and understand encryption before you store personal data on the public Internet (GNU Privacy Guard a.k.a OpenPGP or TrueCrypt).
SithTracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009   #30
MyCE Resident

SithTracy I agree with everything you said, however I personally wouldn't use any online backup facility, encryption or no encryption., I just wouldn't feel right having my personal files uploaded and stored on a server somewhere. I recently bought three 1.5Tb HDs, and that covered my storage needs for a while. I'm not saying you're wrong, storing online is a good idea, it's just me. I'm sort-of ...old fashioned in that respect, I just don't feel comfortable with the whole idea of non-onsite storage...

I also think people should support open source and freeware projects, and I always donate some money for most of the freeware I'm using. I've been using OpenOffice for a long time now, (I refuse to pay the exorbitant prices for the Microsoft bloatware thingy), and also use Ubuntu on my other laptop.

BTW, Mike managed to recover about 30 discs worth of files from his client's badly burned Verbs. The rest were not readable, gone forever...
System: Toshiba Qosmio G40-108 with obsolete SD-L902A SATA HDDVD burner, Centrino Duo T7700 @2.40GHz, 4 gig Corsair Gaming RAM, nVidia 8600M GT 512MB softmodded to 8600GTS, 2x200 gig Toshiba MK2035GSS hard disks, Win7 Ultimate x64
Active drives: Pioneer BDC-202@1.07EU - Samsung SH-S223B@SB02 - NEC-Optiarc AD-7243S@1.03 - NEC ND-6650A@1.43 in Icy Box USB2 enclosure. Also BenQ DW1650@BCIC & DW1655@BCIB, connected on my desktop rig's PATA ports. Inactive drives: Various LiteOn, Samsung, Philips, NEC, LG, Plextor & Sony golden oldies that my girlfriend hates and wants to get rid of so she can "...make better use of the wasted space..." NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!
RESPECT & thanks to all freeware writers, and to all the users who share their knowledge with the rest of us!

Last edited by CyberMan969; 18-11-2009 at 05:01.
Old 18-11-2009   #31
MyCE Resident

While my SH-S203B drives have always been decent burners well that is the 2nd to 4th ones
that I bought, the first one had some major problems that is until I dropped it on the floor and
it bounced a couple of times. After that it has been one of the most consistent burners that I
have had but makes you wonder why it was so crappy at first until the drop. Now the SH-S223F
came straight from the factory with a loose screw floating around inside of it and several other
screws that were loose but hadn't came all the way out yet. That is why I'm so down on Samsung
because of their Quality Control they let something like that go out the door your average jo schmo
wouldn't know how to take the drive apart and put the screw back in place and tighten all the others
up. Like I said before sometimes the drive just refuses to work more like 6 out of 10 times it will refuse
to burn or read. I know check the connections but that has been done and re-done all new cables also
it is just a hunk of junk doorstop. I wouldn't trade one of my SH-203B's or either one of my Liteon
drives for every new 22x -24x Samsung drive out there right now.

Main system burners
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS624 in external enclosure
1 Liteon iHAS 124-04B true iHAS124-04 Liteon drive
1 Liteon iHAS 524-98A true iHAS-524 Liteon drive
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS424
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS324
1 Samsung S203B

Secondary system
1 Samsung S203B
1 Liteon 20A1S
1 Liteon 160P6S

System Specs
getit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009   #32
MyCE Resident

Thanks Cyberman, it didn't work on mine. Thanks though!

My 223C firmware does.n't include TY T02, Some 8XMBI I have, Nor will it burn Verbatim 16X at 8X, all of these go to a generic 4X burn.
As a matter of fact the only two burner that will burn my TY Y02. or the 8X MBI at 8X are the liteon IHAP 422-98 and my Optiarcs.
CPU IntelC2Q Q9650 3G 3.1GHZ Dual-Quad
Memory Patriot 4GB 2x2
OS Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
HDDs 1 Hitachi 640 GB and 1 TB SATA, External 1.5 TB, Two 2TB and 1 WD 3TB external and 1 250 GB external fire wire. 4 port 2.6 Amp powered USB hub
Burners Internal-Ide Lit-on IHAP 422-98,Pioneer DVR 117---Sata Lite-on IHAS 324-9, Optiarc 7240 and Samsung 243, IHAS 124 Y. External Mad Dog (NEC3500) to burn old 4X media.
PSU Antec 550W true power

Computers can burn up when shut off if they are still plugged in even when using a UPS.

2nd 'Puter (On line use) Dell Power Edge 700, Pentium 4E 520 Prescott @ 2.8GHz
Windows XP Pro SP3
2.5 GB DDR 3200, WD 160GB ATA HD, 4 SCSI HD in raid for 500GB, 250 GB Hd on a firewire port.
Samsung 223 DVD burner, Plextor 48/24/48U
Printers 1-Canon 820 and (1-Epson R300, Put back into a box) Samsung ?25 B/W lazer
6 Usb and 3 Firewire ports in the rear and 10 port,7.2Amp powered Rosewill Usb hub in the front along with Rosewill card reader +1 Usb port in the floppy slot
3rd 'Puter Compaq CQ-50 Laptop,Vista 32Bit
Celeron 575 @2GHZ, 3GB DDR2 5300, 160GB HD and 1-250GB WD passport HD, 2.6 amp powered USB hub.
Optiarc 7200 in external case
Epson NX 415 Printer.
(Wall-Mart $299) Vista 32 bit
G_Ivan Awfulitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009   #33
MyCE Resident

You're welcome Ivan but it should work, do you use the latest ImgBurn v2.5.0.0? Did you try it with a disc already in the drive? This feature worked for me with both 223B and 223C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getit29 View Post
While my SH-S203B drives have always been decent burners well that is the 2nd to 4th ones
that I bought, the first one had some major problems that is until I dropped it on the floor and
it bounced a couple of times. After that it has been one of the most consistent burners that I
have had but makes you wonder why it was so crappy at first until the drop. Now the SH-S223F
came straight from the factory with a loose screw floating around inside of it and several other
screws that were loose but hadn't came all the way out yet. That is why I'm so down on Samsung
because of their Quality Control they let something like that go out the door your average jo schmo
wouldn't know how to take the drive apart and put the screw back in place and tighten all the others
up. Like I said before sometimes the drive just refuses to work more like 6 out of 10 times it will refuse
to burn or read. I know check the connections but that has been done and re-done all new cables also
it is just a hunk of junk doorstop. I wouldn't trade one of my SH-203B's or either one of my Liteon
drives for every new 22x -24x Samsung drive out there right now.
Wow getit, this is pretty weird but it put a smile on my face, thanks for sharing that! That's quite an innovative way to fix a sub-standard Sammie: Let it bounce on the floor a couple of times! You are not alone in this, my Pioneer got dropped a couple of times by my nephew, and amazingly it still works great. Never heard of a drive getting better by a drop though. Maybe Samsung ODD should put that as a valid solution in the troubleshooting section of their website. It's probably just a case of "what doesn't break you can only make you stronger" kind of thing...

Don't be too harsh about Samsung QC though. Maybe all the QC testers were on a lunch break at the time when our drives were being taken out of the production line... Those poor, overworked souls over there at Samsung need all the breaks they can get...
Old 18-11-2009   #34
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by getit29 View Post
have had but makes you wonder why it was so crappy at first until the drop.
ata6.00: ATAPI: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7243S, 1.03, max UDMA/100
rivanvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009   #35
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMan969 View Post
Wow getit, this is pretty weird but it put a smile on my face, thanks for sharing that! That's quite an innovative way to fix a sub-standard Sammie: Let it bounce on the floor a couple of times! You are not alone in this, my Pioneer got dropped a couple of times by my nephew, and amazingly it still works great. Never heard of a drive getting better by a drop though. Maybe Samsung ODD should put that as a valid solution in the troubleshooting section of their website. It's probably just a case of "what doesn't break you can only make you stronger" kind of thing...
Ok here is some links to the kind of burns I was getting with my first Samsung SH-S203B before the big drop on the floor lol.
http://club.myce.com/f105/samsung-sh...ml#post1866901

Ok here is the burn and scans of the same drive after the floor drop incident
http://club.myce.com/f105/samsung-sh...ml#post1867695

Main system burners
1 Samsung S203B

Secondary system
1 Samsung S203B
1 Liteon 20A1S
1 Liteon 160P6S

System Specs
Old 19-11-2009   #36
MyCE Resident

GearXS has some brand new Samsung SH-S203N drives:

http://club.myce.com/f58/samsung-sh-...gearxs-304689/
Old 21-11-2009   #37

Use 223Q's, Verb +R, don't know what the problem is. Never had one or a coaster:
brighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009   #38
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes View Post
Use 223Q's, Verb +R, don't know what the problem is. Never had one or a coaster:
Haven't tested the Q variant, but all the B and C variants (which were the latest 223 series models) that me and my colleagues tested on 3 different computers were really unreliable with both MCC 004 and Yuden Verbs. We also tried both retail and OEM units just in case, results were crap in all cases. Also remember that having a succesful burn and verification doesn't necessarily mean a good burn. Have you quality-scanned those discs? I don't know, maybe the Q variant was good. The B and C ones are definitely not good though...
Old 21-11-2009   #39
MyCE Resident

Quote:
The B and C ones are definitely not good though...
You might want to also include the 223F series in there too that is what I have
and it has never been worth a crap.

Main system burners
1 Samsung S203B

Secondary system
1 Samsung S203B
1 Liteon 20A1S
1 Liteon 160P6S

System Specs
Old 22-11-2009   #40
MyCE Resident

Samsung has been releasing new variants like they're going out of fashion. Never a good sign as it usually denotes faults that they didn't identify/fix before the burners hit the market, a result of shoddy product design and poor new feature implementation. On their new x24 models they'll have once more a whole alphabet of variants to get it right. I'd be very surprised if they can actually produce a decent x24 burner, (unless they've swapped their managers/engineers for a more capable bunch than the ones responsible for the 223 series disgrace that is..)
Old 22-11-2009   #41
MyCE Resident

Quote:
On their new x24 models they'll have once more a whole alphabet of variants to get it right. I'd be very surprised if they can actually produce a decent x24 burner...
http://club.myce.com/f105/samsung-sh...ussion-304840/
Old 22-11-2009   #42
MyCE Resident

Thanks for the link Negritude, first results look promising despite my reservations...
Old 23-11-2009   #43
MyCE Resident

Yeah those 24x burns and scans look pretty good but I won't hold my breath for Samsung
to roll out new drives that were as good as the 203B's were and as consistent on burning
different media as the 203B's were and redeem themselves in the ODD market. If and when
I see some consistent results from quite a few different Samsung SH-S243D drives and they
don't start doing the alphabet of variants thing right away then I might give them a second
look but with a big emphases on the word might.

Main system burners
1 Samsung S203B

Secondary system
1 Samsung S203B
1 Liteon 20A1S
1 Liteon 160P6S

System Specs
Old 04-12-2009   #44
Official Samsung ODD Support

Please be informed that this thread has been brought under the attention of Samsung OMS Divison.

For this reason I can announce the upcoming F/W release for our SH-S223C Writer. (SB02)
It will be released very shortly on our www.samsungodd.com website.
I will also post a reply to this thread as soon when it's available for downloading.

Please feel free to post your feedback, or any questions!
Customer feedback is indeed very important, so please don't hesitate to post it here.

Free support number: 00800-80108011
(For both technical support, and RMA requests for Samsung ODD Products 2 years warranty)

Support by E-mail:
http://erms.samsungelectronics.com/c...ct_odd_en.html
sosa2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #45
MyCE Resident

I have both the 223 and 203 both burn fine, better then any recent Lite-on tried.
server/media server
Samsung SH-S182M
family system
BenQ DW1620 Pro (soon to be retired)
NEC ND-3550A @ 4551A (LABELFLASH!)
HTPC
Samsung SH-S203B
LG GGC-H20L
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #46
MyCE Resident

Thank you for the good news sosa2006. Regarding the 223B, I found big inconsistencies between the retail and OEM/BULK models that were tested by out team. Since hardware in both types is identical, we can safely conclude that such inconstencies can only be explained because of possible poor quality control... I know that Q.C. on a burner assembly line only takes place every so many units, and that bad batches have been known to "escape" to the shelves. This has happened in the past with other manufacturers too. Still, it's great to see that Samsung is paying attention to its customers' needs, and that it takes client input on-board.

It would be great if you could optimize the MCC 004 and Yuden strategies on the SH-S223B too. Other issues that affect this drive are:

1) Very long pause on the layer break when burning any DVD+R DL media.

2) It takes too long for an inserted disc to be recognized by the drive.

3) Jitter values should typicaly be consistently under 10% with high quality media. Now it can vary to anything from 8% to 13% on discs from the same pack.

4) Below is a decent scan from my retail sh-s223b@SB02: A Taiwanese Verbatim MCC 004 burned @x22. Please note the PIE spike "hills" at certain areas, these are typical for this media when burned at x22, and they happen always at roughly the same locations. There are also always high spikes at the very beginning of the burn. As a result, the quality score drops to its final value at the very first 2% to 3% of each burn. If such spikes can brought down and the other issues sorted, this drive would be trully great.

Looking forward to any future firmware that may address the issues raised.

Thank you once more for your input sosa2006
Attached Images

Last edited by CyberMan969; 08-12-2009 at 05:40.
Old 08-12-2009   #47
MyCE Resident

sosa2006, the long pause at the layer break of +R DL media also appears with your latest sh-s234 model. Have a look at:

http://club.myce.com/f105/samsung-sh...40/index3.html
Old 08-12-2009   #48
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Thank you for the good news sosa2006. Regarding the 223B,
C, not B
server/media server
Samsung SH-S182M
family system
HTPC
Samsung SH-S203B
LG GGC-H20L
Old 08-12-2009   #49
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
C, not B
Actually nekrosoft you misunderstood me, I was referering to the B variant and issues that affect it. We already know there's going to be a new firmware for the C variant, so I was letting sosa know of issues I encountered on B (with the hope that they will be addressed too)

BTW sosa, if you're reading this please address the Windows 7 backup problem with the SH-S223B. When trying to create a system image using the Win7 backup application the backup doesn't start. The drive just formats the disc, then spits it out and asks for more... This was an issue that also affected my Optiarc AD-7243S, Optiarc apparently fixed it on the latest firmware, so I hope Samsung can do the same.
Old 08-12-2009   #50
MyCE Resident

i got an F, and really i have no issues with my drive. I haven't tried to backup my PC on DVDs, i have NAS hard drive for that.
server/media server
Samsung SH-S182M
family system
HTPC
Samsung SH-S203B
LG GGC-H20L