Old 18-04-2010   #1

Problem flashing firmware with tsdnwin for Samsung SH-S223L (SB02)

I just installed my new Samsung SH-S223L (SB02) in my HTPC (Windows 7, 32-bit). I used the most excellent Patch Utility to create a custom firmware bin. When I load the custom bin into tsdnwin it says "Same Version Opened!!" Then I have to ctrl-alt-del to kill tsdnwin ... and that's as far as I can get.

I must be missing something simple, but I know just enough to be dangerous. I did spend a good deal of time scouring MyCE and Google but haven't found anything helpful.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get this drive flashed?
miltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Problem flashing firmware with tsdnwin for Samsung SH-S223L (SB02)

Use the -NOCHECK option.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010   #3

Thank you, _chef_!!! Worked like a champ!

For any other semi-noobs (like me), put the tsdnwin.exe file in C:\, got to Start>>Run, then type:

C:\tsdnwin.exe -nocheck

Though I then learned that my drive didn't like the "no region" RPC1 setting, so I had to create another patched firmware without that option. Now all seems to be grand.
miltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010   #4
Senior Moderator

This is odd
Normally, TDSNWIN should not crash after the "same version" message. But it is good to know that the -nocheck parameter is a functional workaround in this case also

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #5

My SH-S223L is stuck in BOOT. I have my drive hooked up via a SATA-PATA adapter. Could that be the problem? Is the ROM/BIN available anywhere? I used the only thing I could find on Samsung's site, which was SH-S223L-SB02.exe, which I don't imagine I can use to increase the DL read speed.
ricdur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #6
Senior Moderator

Hi and Welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdur2 View Post
My SH-S223L is stuck in BOOT. I have my drive hooked up via a SATA-PATA adapter. Could that be the problem?
Yes, using such an adapter can very often cause such issues.
Quote:
Is the ROM/BIN available anywhere? I used the only thing I could find on Samsung's site, which was SH-S223L-SB02.exe, which I don't imagine I can use to increase the DL read speed.
You may please have a look into the FAQ (see my signature).

Michael
Old 04-05-2010   #7

Hmm, the only SATA connection I have available is on my Promise RAID controller. To gain visibility to a single SATA drive from Windows, I have to create a striped array with one (1) HDD (something I don't need to bother with when using Linux). Can I expect problems flashing my SH-S223L if it's attached to the Promise controller?

If I can expect problems, would I be better off getting a PCI SATA controller, or another drive altogether? I know the correct answer is a new rig, but that's not in the picture for me right now.

Regards,
-richard
ricdur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #8
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdur2 View Post
Hmm, the only SATA connection I have available is on my Promise RAID controller. To gain visibility to a single SATA drive from Windows, I have to create a striped array with one (1) HDD (something I don't need to bother with when using Linux). Can I expect problems flashing my SH-S223L if it's attached to the Promise controller?
If this controller is RAID only, then I'd expect problems also. Promise Non-RAID controllers do fine (my own SH-S203B is connected to a PDC20579 (SataII-150).
Quote:
If I can expect problems, would I be better off getting a PCI SATA controller,
That's what I would suggest. Most recommended are controller cards with Silicon Image chipset, preferably the non-Raid version (called SataLink) or at least flashable to non-Raid controller Bios.
See here: http://club.myce.com/f7/silicon-imag...le-not-252721/

Michael

Last edited by mciahel; 04-05-2010 at 11:07.