Old 09-02-2006   #1
MyCE Resident

Video games, adrenaline, & high blood pressure

I have recently been playing Need For Speed Most Wanted on PC, it is a very fun game, but I have been experiencing some sporadic high blood pressure/heart racing symptoms as I am playing at times. Not all the time, but during some races, I don't know if it is adrenaline, blood pressure increase, or both, but this has happened couple of times so far since I started playing the game about a week ago. I am googling video games and high blood pressure, but am getting vague results. I have a digital blood pressure machine, and was thinking of doing some before and after experiments. I think that it may just be a very intense game, my heart is racing, and even some adrenaline is flowing at times. I have been an avid video gamer for years, but never gotten a rush like this from any game before. It doesn't seem to last long at all though, my heart was racing when I started typing this thread, and I'm almost completely back to normal now.
DJMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Video games, adrenaline, & high blood pressure

i think it's normal that you have high blood preasure while playing NFS:MW, as you get angry while playing because of the f*cking cheating AI!
just play Doom3 - with lights turned off and a loud sound system (and WIHTOUT any mod or cheat!) and you'll see what REAL high blood preasure can feel like...
Razor1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #3
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1982
i think it's normal that you have high blood preasure while playing NFS:MW, as you get angry while playing because of the f*cking cheating AI!
I think that does have alot to do with it.
Old 09-02-2006   #4
Letiled Modelatol

Quote:
just play Doom3 - with lights turned off and a loud sound system (and WIHTOUT any mod or cheat!) and you'll see what REAL high blood preasure can feel like...
Pfff he should play FEAR with lights turned off and a decent sound system, preferably at night. Or maybe he doesnt want a heart attack?
  • bcn_246: "Wales are shitty animals to, all they do is swim around and make funny noises that people cant hear."
  • You really should join us on IRC! IrcNet, #cdfreaks-int | Or go here
  • Fear my massive avatar history log! Not updated!
  • "But do they keep increasing in size like mine?" - kwkard
Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead
Pfff he should play FEAR with lights turned off and a decent sound system, preferably at night. Or maybe he doesnt want a heart attack?
I have that game, and it scares the hell out of me...I only play it for about 10 or 15 minutes at a time every once in a while. LOL!
Old 09-02-2006   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead
well, i don't know what you fear when you play F.E.A.R., but when i was playing this kiddie-game (it was @ night, starting late on friday, finishing it around 9 hours later, using audigy 2zs 5.1 EAX sound) it didn't shock me as much as doom 3 did.
well, to be true, i have to say i was a little bit disappointed, as the FEAR-demo was great.
i think people that get afraid of "The Ring"-movies also are afraid of FEAR, but that's not the kind of shocking which makes my pulse get high...
Old 09-02-2006   #7
MyCE Resident

Quote:
i think people that get afraid of "The Ring"-movies also are afraid of FEAR, but that's not the kind of shocking which makes my pulse get high...
Probably so, though "The Ring" movies are not really all that scary to me. Not many video games have scared me, the only ones that come to mind are: Resident Evil 2 (PS1 I think,) Doom3, and Fear.
Old 09-02-2006   #8
MyCE Resident

Well, i've just played some CounterStrike: Condition Zero and i can tell my blood pressure is about to explode!

Those f-ing bots with their f-ing auto-aim and f-ing ability to shoot through walls and doors while f-ing standing there and f-ing only needing one shot f-ing f-ing annoying. f-ing hell! And when my f-ing Seal wants to backup when is getting f-ing shot he magically transforms into a f-ing statue! Makes me want to kill some real f-ing humans! f!
Old 09-02-2006   #9
MyCE Resident

Quote:
I enjoyed The Ring very much, i liked the story. When the film ended, my phone rang...
Old 09-02-2006   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere
I enjoyed The Ring very much, i liked the story. When the film ended, my phone rang...
when has this been?
Old 10-02-2006   #11
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
LOL -

First of all, without making ANY diagnosis of any kind ( you should always check with your doctor ), what you are experiencing is the adrenaline rush.....it is perfectly normal during a game or any form of competition. This is NOT high blood pressure as in the illness. There is a difference between chronic high blood pressure and temporary peak in pressure. Our heart rate and pressure varies A LOT during the day, when walking, standing up, even after eating meals.....What matters is that this peak of pressure is only temporary and returns back to normal during rest - So after finishing your race and getting owned, cussing a bit and shutting down windows your pressure will return back to normal and you won't feel your heart race
Of course if you play 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a week, that's a different story - there is no problem providing you have a healthy heart - if you have heart problems or other health problems then maybe you should do other things instead

as far as Doom 3 - please don't tell me that people are scared of this shi*te, honestly most of the time you spend walking in pitch dark environments with a bloody torch, cussing - because once you pull out your gun you don't see the bloody monsters.....scary ? Nah.......try PainKiller Battle Out of Hell with headphones, 6.1 and full volume
greg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #12
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Well, i've just played some CounterStrike: Condition Zero and i can tell my blood pressure is about to explode!

Those f-ing bots with their f-ing auto-aim and f-ing ability to shoot through walls and doors while f-ing standing there and f-ing only needing one shot f-ing f-ing annoying. f-ing hell! And when my f-ing Seal wants to backup when is getting f-ing shot he magically transforms into a f-ing statue! Makes me want to kill some real f-ing humans! f!
Now see? This is a perfect example of what will give you a heart attack, over time
greg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #13
Chocolate Aficionado

boys...grow up stop playing kiddie games geeze go out for a run ..try some exersise.
Sexy_Southerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #14
CD Freaks Fartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy_Southerner
boys...grow up stop playing kiddie games geeze go out for a run ..try some exersise.
you just found one of my pet peeves they are not kiddies games

Join Us! Here at cdfreaks
"Space. . . It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."

Chat Quotes
[4:44pm] * @taHkroW dubs SK the best king of the world.
DO NOT message me asking about diablo 2 .mpq files you will not get a response.
slayerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #15
Chocolate Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerking
you just found one of my pet peeves they are not kiddies games
woah big feller! .....watch that blood pressure...its just a game..turn it off....get some fresh air....hell why not go for a ride on your cycle..
Old 10-02-2006   #16
CD Freaks Fartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy_Southerner
woah big feller! .....watch that blood pressure...its just a game..turn it off....get some fresh air....hell why not go for a ride on your cycle..
Hah
Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

Quote:
the first time i watched evil dead2 i was about 18 by myself and it was the middle of the night, got half way through the movie the bloody lights went out and the bloody house started shaking i near shit myself stupid tremors.

"Space. . . It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."

Chat Quotes
Old 10-02-2006   #17
Chocolate Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerking

the first time i watched evil dead2 i was about 18 by myself and it was the middle of the night, got half way through the movie the bloody lights went out and the bloody house started shaking i near shit myself stupid tremors.

OMG you sound so much like a scared little girlie man....
Old 10-02-2006   #18
CD Freaks Fartman

well thats the last time i tell anything

Chat Quotes
Old 10-02-2006   #19
Chocolate Aficionado

awwwww you know i'm just messing with ya....
Old 10-02-2006   #20
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42
Of course if you play 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a week, that's a different story
yes, i understand. if i would play that less, i'd be a different person...
esp. nice is the "365 days a week" - this will be long weeks, eh?
Quote:
as far as Doom 3 - please don't tell me that people are scared of this shi*te, honestly most of the time you spend walking in pitch dark environments with a bloody torch, cussing - because once you pull out your gun you don't see the bloody monsters.....scary ? Nah.......try PainKiller Battle Out of Hell with headphones, 6.1 and full volume
nah, Painkiller is like Serious Sam - this is a true fun-game, but not to be meant scary...
Old 10-02-2006   #21
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Now see? This is a perfect example of what will give you a heart attack, over time
Perhaps. Gladly i can shake off the agression quite easily.
Old 11-02-2006   #22
Blown to smitherines

Quote:
So after finishing your race and getting owned, cussing a bit and shutting down windows your pressure will return back to normal and you won't feel your heart race
Who get's Owned? I'm racing around in a Suped up Clio & owning!

I'm sure the EA never expected anyone to grab the base model & spec it out

I'm still pissed I didn't get pinkslip of no#5 on the blacklist

You will be baked ... and there will be cake ... you monster.
Click here to still be alive!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. --Terry Pratchett

Primary PC: 1.4Ghz Quad Core Cortex A9, 2048MB Ram, Mali 400 video, 32GB Primary, 64Gb Secondary, 802.11N 2.4/5Ghz, 1280x800@10.1" with one years supply of Jelly Beans

Secondary PC: i7-Q720@1.6Ghz, 4GB, 500GB Hybrid HDD, Win7 x64 BusPre, Ati HD5470M-1GB, backlit keyboard.

Tertiary PC: Amd Phenom II 945, 4GB DDR2, 120GB Plextor M5S, AMD HD7850(OC) 2GB , Win8 Pro, 24" 1920x1200, cordless keyboard + mouse + gaming mouse.
debro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #23
New on Forum

Hi, I'm 22 years old, and considered normal weight. About a year ago I had a high blood pressure reading which was140/90. So I was ordered to have a blood pressure screening where my blood pressure would be taken five times within a month. Well in fourth time my blood pressure was back down into the 120/80. But then a few months later when I went back to the doctor it was coming up high again. So does anybody have any idea what’s going on here? Do I have hypertension or not?
Old 07-11-2007   #24
MyCE Resident

Could be anything from too much salt to diabetes to low excersise to stress. What does your body tell you?
Old 07-11-2007   #25
Blown to smitherines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumki8 View Post
Hi, I'm 22 years old, and considered normal weight. About a year ago I had a high blood pressure reading which was140/90. So I was ordered to have a blood pressure screening where my blood pressure would be taken five times within a month. Well in fourth time my blood pressure was back down into the 120/80. But then a few months later when I went back to the doctor it was coming up high again. So does anybody have any idea what’s going on here? Do I have hypertension or not?
Dude! Relax

And stop playing adrenaline games

The doctor almost had a heart attack when she saw my blood pressure readings & heart beat rates I logged while I was playing doom 3 ... well, at least she was worried about me having a heart attack

You will be baked ... and there will be cake ... you monster.
Click here to still be alive!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. --Terry Pratchett

Primary PC: 1.4Ghz Quad Core Cortex A9, 2048MB Ram, Mali 400 video, 32GB Primary, 64Gb Secondary, 802.11N 2.4/5Ghz, 1280x800@10.1" with one years supply of Jelly Beans

Secondary PC: i7-Q720@1.6Ghz, 4GB, 500GB Hybrid HDD, Win7 x64 BusPre, Ati HD5470M-1GB, backlit keyboard.

Tertiary PC: Amd Phenom II 945, 4GB DDR2, 120GB Plextor M5S, AMD HD7850(OC) 2GB , Win8 Pro, 24" 1920x1200, cordless keyboard + mouse + gaming mouse.
debro is offline   Reply With Quote