Old 31-07-2004   #1
MyCE Resident

Manhunt game blamed for murder of teenager!

Don't know if this has been mentioned?

But here's the story from BBC News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/3936597.stm

Here's a reaction story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3936237.stm

Seems video games are being blamed again for another murder! The fact a 17 year old had a game rated for people 18+ doesn't seem to be well highlighted! But since when did selling stuff to underage people bother anyone? Our local corner shop makes a bomb selling fags to the local schoolkids, so when they get cancer in later life will they campaign to ban fags or sue the companies for something they did when underage?

I'm getting wound up now, need a Vice City fix to calm me down!
Web-Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004   #2
New on Forum

Re: Manhunt game blamed for murder of teenager!

I heard that Dixons has banned this game now. Will they also be banning the forthcoming new Grand Theft Auto game this Christmas- a guaranteed top seller? As this evil game is clearly corrupting young kids too.
highpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004   #3
MyCE Resident

"Computer games don’t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us…we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music”. Krisitan Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989.
Old 01-08-2004   #4
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere
"Computer games don’t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us…we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music”. Krisitan Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989.
Hmmm. Some parallels there, Dark rooms, magic pills, music!! Sounds a bit like my place at the weekend
Web-Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004   #5
MyCE Resident

LOL!

As a side note, I think that people must treat games as what they are, not as a parallel to real life.

[23:49] <Chriso> !seen Boobies
[23:49] <JuPiLeR> I found 430 matches to your query; please refine it to see any output.

PSU: Enermax Liberty 400w - Modular
Mobo: Jetway V266B
CPU: AMD AthlonXP 2000+
RAM: 256MB Crucial PC2100 + 512MB Corsair Value Select PC2100
HDD: 120GB Maxtor ATA133 8MB Cache + 320GB Western Digital "RAID Edition" ATA100 8MB Cache
Gfx Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 passive cooled
Sound Card: SB Live 1024
DVD-ROM Drive: Asus E-616
CD-RW: LiteON 52246S
DVD-RW: NEC ND2510A in external Firewire enclosure (Prolific chipset)
USB2 Card: ALI chipset (got an NEC chipset one waiting to go in)
Firewire Card: Not sure of chipset...but it seems to work
D-Link Network Card

My old Voodoo 3 2000 PCI has now retired, still in perfect working order though!

Get Firefox!
Join CDFreaks

Chriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004   #6
CDFreaks Resident

so all games where you can kill somebody should be banned, that's virtually every first person shooter & action game

racegames should be banned coz ppl will drive too fast on the roads and kill ppl

adventure games should be banned coz ppl will "borrow" stuff to combine it with another "borrowed" object etc. maybe you should blame adventure games if your keys get stolen...

beat'em ups should be banned coz we don't want kids fighting on the streets and doing finishing moves & fatalities

strategy games should be banned coz they mostly involve waging wars, what if some megalomaniac dictator unleashes a war based on a videogame......... yeah, it's as ridiculous as blaming the developers of Manhunt for this kid's behavior...
The Amazing Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004   #7
MyCE Resident

these kinds of arguments are too easy. when in doubt, blame the deepest pockets. until they prove that the 1 in x number of game players who commit this behavior is greater than the 1 in y number of people with a disposition towards this type of behavior.......

last 5 cd's
Avril Lavigne - Whatever the new one is called
Lucky Boys Confusion - Throwing the Game
lostprophets - Start Something
Story of the Year - Page Avenue
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Don't let schooling interfere with your education.
-Mark Twain
ckin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004   #8
Blown to smitherines

Methinks maybe retailers should show some initiave and ask who the games are for?
MA18 shouldn't be for kids under 18, regardless, and parents/adults should be warned.

That said, the kid was likely gonna grow up to be a serial killer anyway, and was drawn to the game, much the way a moth is drawn to the flame. Suggesting the game inspired the kid to kill would be like suggesting that Picazzo only started painting cos he liked watching his art teacher, rather than had some natural ability for it

You will be baked ... and there will be cake ... you monster.
Click here to still be alive!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. --Terry Pratchett

Primary PC: 1.4Ghz Quad Core Cortex A9, 2048MB Ram, Mali 400 video, 32GB Primary, 64Gb Secondary, 802.11N 2.4/5Ghz, 1280x800@10.1" with one years supply of Jelly Beans

Secondary PC: i7-Q720@1.6Ghz, 4GB, 500GB Hybrid HDD, Win7 x64 BusPre, Ati HD5470M-1GB, backlit keyboard.

Tertiary PC: Amd Phenom II 945, 4GB DDR2, 120GB Plextor M5S, AMD HD7850(OC) 2GB , Win8 Pro, 24" 1920x1200, cordless keyboard + mouse + gaming mouse.
debro is offline   Reply With Quote