Old 23-07-2003   #1
On #cdfreaks-int 24-7

How Do You Describe Color To A Blind Man?

On your lunch break at work, every day you go outside and sit in the park on one of the benches and eat your food.

Every working day for 2 weeks a blind man makes his way to the same bench and you end up talking.

You find out that he has been blind since birth, likes to eat fruit (specifically oranges, apples and bananas) and is generally curious about everything.

One day, he holds up the orange he is about to peel and asks you to describe the color to him.

What do you say?
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2003   #2
CDFreaks Resident

you can't

visuals are based on comparing stuff...........and since he is blind friom birth......there is nothing to compare
damiandimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2003   #3
MyCE Resident

The fruit you hold now has the color orange , hence the name of the fruit.

It will best let itself describe in warmth.

Surfaces which are metallic and cold are usually reflective (light completely bounces off) or completely absorb the light rays.

This effects in the darkness you are unfortunately quite familiar with.

However , light has another feature. Light comes from the sun and also produces various grades of heat.

The orange is like the heat of a flame , absorbing little lightpower and giving the fruit its special color.

To put it in a little perspective : When comparing the color orange with other colors ; Think of the orange color as an almost touchable slow flame , the soft spot of the flame.
Old 23-07-2003   #4
CDFreaks Resident

nice description
Old 23-07-2003   #5
No longer with us

A color is only that color bcause we all agree it is that color...but it is just a name....

Orange would be no different if we had called it Blue... (wrote a little peace on this subject once...called 'Nothing')
Da_Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2003   #6
MyCE Resident

Have you ever wondered if blind people dream? Please ask him for me. How would they be?
DanDaMan1487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2003   #7
CDFreaks Resident

There is no blind man -- this is a hypothetical question.

.: Let's test the patience of some random member!
.: Member # 12,680 :.
cmr3000x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2003   #8
CDFreaks Resident

lol

are you blind !

Old 24-07-2003   #9
IamRocket Wannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
The fruit you hold now has the color orange , hence the name of the fruit.

It will best let itself describe in warmth.

Surfaces which are metallic and cold are usually reflective (light completely bounces off) or completely absorb the light rays.

This effects in the darkness you are unfortunately quite familiar with.
Just wondering, Mr. B, your English is pretty neat... I know this may sound ridiculous, but you've learned English on your own or went to school? I know some ppl who have learned just by themselves.

As for the blind man, is better for him to know that you don't know what colour is that. Colours do not exist. They're just another mean of communication between human beings. They're just words, as the always wise Da_Tax already said.

Tell him also that dogs are colourblind. It will make him feel a litlle better.
Old 24-07-2003   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by RedHatted

Just wondering, Mr. B, your English is pretty neat... I know this may sound ridiculous, but you've learned English on your own or went to school?...
I think he has learned it. It's indeed very correct and neat english. I've tought it myself (watching movies mainly), and though i can make myself understandable it has its flaws and imperfections. Even at school they can't teach me the perfectly correct english, because the "american' english has become my near-native speech. See it as quitting with smoking, it's that difficult to change my speech.

mzzls
theunbeatable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2003   #11
On #cdfreaks-int 24-7

Very interesting responses.

I asked some people and 3 had no idea, but 1 person was thinking along the same lines as Mr. Belvedere, except that Mr. B has explained it a lot more.

However, no-one has been able to find any relation to anything in regards to a red apple or a yellow banana.

@Tax: Want to post your piece 'Nothing'?
Old 24-07-2003   #12
MyCE Resident

Hypothetical question my ass. That's one very long introduction and a lot of effort for a hypothetical question...

Cmon folks, why can't you just admit the facts, instead of refering to things as "my friend did this" or "say there is this guy."

I got a feeling this is about a real person...

Maybe not... I dunno. Uhhhh... Check out my picture - Elvis popping pills!
Old 24-07-2003   #13
On #cdfreaks-int 24-7

Quote:
Originally posted by DanDaMan1487
I got a feeling this is about a real person...
Sorry to disappoint you, but one night I couldnt sleep and my mind was drifting and this scenario appeared.
Old 24-07-2003   #14
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by theunbeatable

I think he has learned it. It's indeed very correct and neat english. I've tought it myself (watching movies mainly), and though i can make myself understandable it has its flaws and imperfections. Even at school they can't teach me the perfectly correct english, because the "american' english has become my near-native speech. See it as quitting with smoking, it's that difficult to change my speech.

mzzls
Let's just say i chatted a LOT with English , American and French people in a chatroom

I hardly read Dutch books anymore as well. I've just started reading a couple of Tom Clancy's NetForce books and currently i'm reading The complete adventures of Sherlock Holmes. (Very tiny textfont and a lot of pages)

When i watch a movie on BBC , i pop on CeeFax page 888 (Subtitling for the deaf)

If you'd hear me talking English you would think i'm a Nazi on steroids
Old 25-07-2003   #15
MyCE Resident

Like Arnold Schwarzenneger?

Yeah, his dad was a Nazi officer in fact... Is that where he got the accent???
Old 25-07-2003   #16
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Have you ever wondered if blind people dream?
This is indeed a important question.

Do they dream in black/white, in colour or don't they dream (this isn't the case I think)??
When you're little, what you really want is for grown-ups to make the world a safe place where dreams can come true and promises are never broken. And when you're little, it doesn't seem like a lot to ask.

Women might be able to fake orgasms.
But men can fake whole relationships.

New rig: Antec P182 Super Mid Tower, Intel Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz @ 3.0Ghz, Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, Kingston 4Gb 1066Mhz dual channel, MSI NX8800GTX OC Edition 768 MB, 4 x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, Asus DRW-1814BLT DVD-RW, NEC AD-7173S DVD-RW, NEC 3,5" diskdrive, Logitech X-540 speakers, Samsung TFT SyncMaster 245B, Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 850Watt, dual boot Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista.
Namoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2003   #17
On #cdfreaks-int 24-7

Quote:
Originally posted by Namoh
This is indeed a important question.

Do they dream in black/white, in colour or don't they dream (this isn't the case I think)??
Can you (or anyone for that matter) say whether you dream in color?
Old 26-07-2003   #18
IamRocket Wannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by Savannah

Can you (or anyone for that matter) say whether you dream in color?

Noone really remembers if the dream was colourful even if he tries to remember it, just after he is awaken... Freud did a research on that.
Old 26-07-2003   #19
CDFreaks Resident

in color
Old 26-07-2003   #20
MyCE Resident

It isn't actually too hard to remember a dream.

For example, If I have a dream about getting it on with a girl, I'll remember it the whole day.

If it is a dream about some important material, I'll remember it.

Blind people might not dream about normal objects, since they've never seen them (the ones born blind). What would their mind make up?
Old 26-07-2003   #21
On #cdfreaks-int 24-7

Quote:
It isn't actually too hard to remember a dream.
Agreed, but are your dreams in color?

Quote:

Blind people might not dream about normal objects, since they've never seen them (the ones born blind). What would their mind make up?
They have never seen the ovjects, true. But when a sense is hampered, all the other senses try to compensate for that. So in regards to the orange, they know what the texture, taste and smell is like. So the only thing they lack is the color.
Old 26-07-2003   #22
MyCE Resident

I don't know why some might think it's impossible. I do remember my dreams as being colorful. In fact, some of the dreams were Color-based! Like I had this one weird dream where if this large gauge rised to the top (kinda like a thermometer), there would be an explosion. The gauge had different color levels. Like the bottom was blue, the middle was red, and when it was peaking, it was purple. Ahhh. I can remember it now just as I could when I was 9...

I dunno, call me weird or something, but I do remember color in dreams, and some of my dreams have been color-based!!! (Some serious bragging rights there! )

So to answer your question, I do remember colors in dreams. It's not very hard...

Blind people also have never seen shape and silhouettes/outline. That's why for example they may have felt a person's face, but it may not turn out exact in their dreams.

Try feeling a person's face. Get down your mental image. Then open your eyes. It is much different!
Old 26-07-2003   #23
CDFreaks Resident

Not to argue or go against you Dan, but how can a person that is blind describe their dreams if they have nothing to compare it to (like previously stated)...? Sure, a mental image, but of what?

Instance: Man with sight sees a red kitten.
Blind man senses a...well even I don't know.

You (the blind man) can't compare the kitten to anything if you never have seen anything before in your life except the absence of color. Correct me if i'm wrong or losin' it...its 23:30 right now....

.: Let's test the patience of some random member!
.: Member # 12,680 :.
cmr3000x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2003   #24
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by cmr2003x
Not to argue or go against you Dan, but how can a person that is blind describe their dreams if they have nothing to compare it to
Is that a limitation of the blind man , or a limitation of the listener ?

Just as the people with vision think , that the blind man is sorry , because he misses vision and color in his life ; The blind man can think the people with vision are sorry , for they have very very limited sense of touch , smell and hearing.

He can live without color , we can't possibly begin to think how we can live without it.

Don't ever treat the handicapped as handicapped people unless they ask for it.
Old 26-07-2003   #25
MyCE Resident

They can feel a person's face, as an example.

They can feel shapes, hardness, textures.

In their dreams, their mind might try to combine these into visual information, but it will come out all wrong.

By mental image, I meant feel a person's face features, and you can imagine what they look like. Then look at them using vision and its quite different...