Old 15-01-2011   #1
MyCE Resident

Does alkaline battery chargers work?

Just bought a cheap controller for my PS3, it goes through batteries quick. I'm wondering if any of the alkaline battery chargers actually work. It seems like they are all pretty much the same. But do they actually work? Thanks.
Old 15-01-2011   #2
CD Freaks Boy Toy

Re: Does alkaline battery chargers work?

While it is technically possible to recharge alkaline batteries, virtually all alkaline batteries are not designed for re-use so might be worn out fast anyway.

You might wish to try whether the controller works with Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeables. This can be found everywhere.

Facebook page: Say NO to overpriced books in Germany

My collection:
Plextor PX-716UF 1.09 (TLA #0202), Optiarc AD-7200A 1.06, Samsung SE-S224Q TS02, Plextor PX-712UF 1.04 (TLA #0104), Plextor PX-708UF2 1.02 (TLA #0102), Optiarc AD-7200A 1.06, Plextor PX-716UF 1.07 (TLA #0307), Lite-On LH-18A1H HL05, Philips JackRabbit JR32RWDVK P1.3, Philips JackRabbit JR24CDRW 1.01, LG GH22NP20 2.00, Matshita UJ-898 HC10, Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0D, Plextor PX-716UF 1.11 (TLA #0204), LG GSA-H22N 1.00, Plextor PX-716A 1.09 (TLA #0309)
+ Plextor PX-716A 1.09 (TLA #0309), BenQ DW1655 BCDB, Samsung TS-L632B TM31, Lite-On LTR-16101B TS0W
Lite-On SHM-165P6SU MS0P (mechanical failure), Plextor PX-708UF2 1.?? (TLA #0102) (DVD optical part died), LG GSA-H10N @ H12N UJ12 (broken tray), BenQ DW1650 BCIC (sold), Lite-On SHW-16H5S @ 1635S YS0Z (lost in a fire), LG GCE-8527B 1.04 (optical part died), Samsung TS-L632H SC04 (sold), Canon Pixma iP4300 (printer head broken)
kg_evilboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011   #3
Retired Moderator

Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeables would work better alkalines would not hold a recharge for very long.
CCRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011   #4
Retired Moderator

I had an alkaline battery recharger some years ago, but I didn't use it for very long. You cannot recharge the alkaline batteries if you fully decharge them, so you have to use a little, then recharge, then use a little more, recharge, and so on. This becomes tedious and using real rechargeable NiMH batteries are much preferrable.

So the alkaline chargers kinda work, but they're not worth the effort in my opinion.
Old 15-01-2011   #5
MyCE Resident

How many times can alkaline batteries be charged before it's completely dead? Some chargers claim 80 times, but I have a feelling that's exagerated. Thanks.
Old 15-01-2011   #6
Retired Moderator

I never collected statistics, but sometimes the battery can fail to recharge even the first time, so it's not a dependable solution as far as I'm concerned.
Old 15-01-2011   #7
MyCE Resident

I'd go with the Nickel-metal hydride's I've had good luck with them(energizer) they keep going ,going
marloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011   #8
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

I read somewhere that pre-charged batteries are more reliable than regular NiMH ones. These can retain charge for a longer time (after 1 year they still have 80% of charge) and are more efficient.

Of course, these are also more costly
User guide for ImgBurn in BUILD mode English version - Italian version

Please do not ask questions via PM. Post in the forum instead. Thanks
Per favore, non chiedete consigli o suggerimenti tramite PM. Usate invece il forum (che serve proprio per questo).
KTPHTT
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011   #9
MyCE Resident

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's not worth it then.
Old 16-01-2011   #10
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

I would seriously avoid the Alkaline battery route for recharging. Even with chargers specifically designed to recharge alkaline batteries, these batteries are very prone to leaking and will cost you a lot more in the long run, either on replacing the Alkaline batteries or the dealing with leakage. Also, don't attempt to recharge alkaline batteries in an Ni-MH charger, as these will most likely leak in the charger, ruining the charger and causing a mess if the leakage spills out.

The best rechargeable batteries from my experience are the precharged Ni-MHs. I know these batteries may sound daft, as some people will falsely assume these batteries are more expensive because they are sold with a full charge. What makes these batteries special is that they don't self-discharge like regular Ni-MH's do, so while their capacity is lower, they will outlast regular Ni-MHs and even Alkaline batteries in most battery operated items per charge.

Unless you need the batteries charged in a hurry, I suggest going for a basic overnight slow Ni-MH charger. Avoid those 1 hour, 30 minute, etc. chargers, as they usually cook the batteries or don't fully charge them. The 2 to 5 hour chargers are usually OK, but sometimes cut off the charge cycle early, i.e. not filling the batteries to capacity. An overnight charger with a <200ma rating will usually take 10 to 15 hours and will generally give the batteries a full charge. These chargers cost very little, e.g. <€10. Just remember to set a reminder (e.g. on your phone) to switch it off the following day.
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011   #11
MyCE Senior Member

There are special rechargeable alkaline cells available that do recharge reasonably well - but still not as well as NiCd and NiMH cells. They are only really useful in devices that expect 1.5 volts from a cell. (NiCd and NiMH only give 1.2.)

The Panasonic ENELOOP-style NiMH cells are the best bet for lower use devices. They hold their charge over many months.

If you run through a set of batteries in a few days or less, standard NiMH cells will probably be your best bet. But if they sit any length of time, the ENELOOP style will be your best choice.

As mentioned above, the pre-charged rechargeables (as long as they're not alkaline) are good - they are this ENELOOP style that I've mentioned. Mine are by Duracell; ENELOOPs are the original.
BenQ DW1620a (B7W9)
LG GSA-4163B (A106)
NEC ND-6500A (in my notebook PC) (2.24)
CyberDrive DX082d (150B)
BenQ CRW5232
TDK VeloCD USB 2.0 external
Yamaha CRW-8824E (1.0a)
Ricoh 6201S SCSI
PhotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011   #12
UTR
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester View Post
So the alkaline chargers kinda work, but they're not worth the effort in my opinion.
I had a Buddy L alkaline battery charger many years ago and I agree with you completely. Recharging alkaline batteries is too tedious, IMO. Especially when there are low self discharge NiMH batteries nowadays.
UTR is online now   Reply With Quote