Old 24-08-2005   #1
Retired Administrator

Digital cameras: good or bad?

Since digital (photo) cameras have become quite cheap, everybody's getting one. Some people even have more than 1 cam (//me whistles innocently). Of course, digital camera's offer quite a lot of ease over the analog camera's. But, as shooting pics has become practically free (once you payed for the hardware of course), people seem to be shooting pics like their lives depend on it. As it doesn't cost anything, lots of ppl don't take the time to think about what they shoot, but they just keep on clicking. I find this a major downside to affordable digital cameras. On the other hand, there is lots of good stuff too (easier, faster and better workflow, multipurpose devices etc).

What do you think: did the digicams contribute to the world? Didn't they hurt the fact that photography is (and remains) an art?
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005   #2
The Slutty Professor

Re: Digital cameras: good or bad?

I'm into it for a few years now and it's nice to see the improvements in technology (especially the delay between shooting the pic and actually capturing it was VERY annoying...)

Depening on the convenience and quality needs, I choose between Panasonic FZ5 or FZ20, NikonCoolp 5600 or 8800, NikonD70, or my old Olympus 3030 but I try not to "shoot as much pics as fit on the memory".

They do make it a lot easier for me to have pics from events you'd not make pics from with analog camera's, just because the risk of worthless pics is too high (festivals, party,...).
Wannez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005   #3
CD Freaks Die Hard

Whilst I love Technology, the digital camera has done some damage. Having a baby a Digital Camera is a must. On the other end of the scope Kodak had a factory here in AU which shut down and left 3000 people out of work. Why? Sales of analogue film dropped so much. On that upside the price of Analogue film has dropped a heap, I can get 3 rols of Konica 200 36exp for $11. Used to be nearly that that per roll.

AMD 64 4400+ X2 'Toledo' @ 2.6Ghz
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
2x 1024Mb DDR OCZ PC4000 Gold
2x Sparkle 7800GTX 256Mb DDR3 in SLI (513/1280)
2x Arctic NV Silencer 5 rev 3
120G Seagate SATA
250G Seagate SATA
Benq DW1640
Swiftech Extreme Liquid Cooling Kit
24" Dell LCD
Microsoft Vista Ultimate RTM v6 build 6000
pollushon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005   #4
MyCE Resident

I've got 3 camera's at the moment - 1. Konica Minolta Dynax, Sony Cybershot en my latest cam is a Canon 350D. I use them for pleisure and ofcourse for my work, and since I've got these cam I hardly use my Agfa scanner and that save me a hell lot of time.

So thank god for Digatal camera's!

initializing new signature:
Process: ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒ 85%
-=m@rsZ=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005   #5
MyCE Resident

I disklike the delay between shooting pics just as Wannez. I've also learned not to get stressed by the people around me and just take my time to make a good picture. Usually i look for a right angle and click away.

Having 2 1Gb CF cards for in my Powershot S410 also isn't bad I can take about 500 pictures in the highsest quality per CF. The camera is as big as a pack of cigarettes so i usually bring it along to every meeting i go to and take lots of pictures.
Old 25-08-2005   #6
Retired Administrator

@Wannez & @Mr. Belvedere: shutter lag getting less of a problem nowadays. My D70 doesn't have any noticable shutter lag (not that it's a standard consumer point and shoot cam, but still...).
Old 25-08-2005   #7
MyCE Resident

i've had my finepix 602 for 3 years now and i wouldn't take pix any other way...having to buy the slr then the film then to process it etc.......im done w/ that.......as for pix as art......i think its still the same as w/ film cameras......its all in the eye....what a person sees and what others see in it.....
Nosmartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005   #8
CD Freaks Member

@ Dee-ehn

Quote:
For the next few weeks I will not respond to any kind of message, as I will be enjoying the beautiful country where the pizza and the spaghetti originated . See y'all in a few weeks!
So you're going to Oslo (see here)

and China (and here)

Have a nice trip
ImgBurn v2.4.3.0
Prassi ONES
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005   #9
Optical Media Freak

Well I have a Sony digi cam (Cyber shot 3.1mega pixels) and a older Canon EOS single-lens reflex camera with 3 types of lenses. When i just want to shoot some snaps of me and some friends at a party were quality is not first priority I use my Sony. But when shooting snaps were quality is 1st priority my Sony cant beat the EOS (with manual focus, shutter speed settings etc). Sure nowadays single-lens reflex digital cameras are available but way too expensive when compared with what I had to pay for my EOS including lenses and flash etc.

About photos being art:
I dont think that has changed with digital cameras. A good photograph is a good and a bad one is a bad one. It has nothing to do with the camera used being digital or not. But what has changed is that with the digicam you take much more pictures for fun and pictures you maybe wont be looking at anymore in some years. It became a kind of well I have some more space left so just take a photo and see wether to delete it or save it for later thing (shooting before thinking or shooting without thinking lol). With the digicam you'll more and more take snaps you would not have taken with your SLR or any film type camera. On the other hand some people did the same kind of not thinking before shooting or shooting before thinking with normal cameras in the past too.
koba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005   #10
New on Forum

Hey, I have a Sony Cybershot 5.1 MP and i have noticed something. It seems that image quality during the night is very low, especially that the images appear blurred. I think this is due to the fact that the camera takes several snapshots in split seconds then merging them, probably because it's dark and needs to get more info on the surroundings. Of course the flash doesn't help when u need to view some relatively faraway objects in the dark. I'm not a photographing guru or anything but i have tried to minimize the blur without any luck.

However, i think digital cams are much more convenient compared with analog ones for the facts mentioned above. But i'd have to agree with koba that the much better digital cams designed for professional users r a lot more expensive than their analog counterparts, at least for now.
TheMerovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005   #11
Video editing software expert

I don't like the lag, but I do like not having to pay for pictures that I don't want, and I like being able to download the pictures, make adjustments/corrections, and print right at my desk.

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
harley2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005   #12
Optical Media Freak

My digital camera tends to use a shutter speed in between of 1/8s and 1/40s at night making it almost impossible to shoot pictures without a trypod (too slow shutter speed to compensate only a little movement of my hand when shooting making all pix some kind of blurry).
With my SLR I can use ISO 400 or even 800 or more at night making it much easier than with my digicam.
Old 25-08-2005   #13
Retired Administrator

@TheMerovingian: there are several reasons why night shots get blurry. First, there's the long exposure time that is needed to get a properly exposed photograph. Shutterspeeds of 1/30s and below are sensive to movement while exposing the film/sensor. The longer the exposure time, the worse it becomes. And: digital camera's generate more noise on long exposures (because of the sensor heating up).
Another reason is that many digicams have a hard time focusing in low-light conditions. Some are equipped with an autofocus illuminator (a little light) and that helps quite a lot. External flashlight often feature such a light (much better than the internal ones) as well.

There are multiple things to do to overcome the problems of slow shutter speeds. First, you can use a tripod (or something else stable to put your cam on). To prevent from micromovements blurring your pictures, you can use a remote control or the self-timer to release the shutter without touching the camera.
Besides that, you can use a higher ISO setting (yes, that generates more noise, but some noise is better than a blurry picture; a good noise filter like NoiseNinja can help in getting enjoyable results after all. And, there's (somtimes) the option to use a faster lens. If you use a lens that can do F1/1.4, you can take good pictures at low light conditions without too much troubles. The only thing you should take into account is the shallow DOF.
Old 25-08-2005   #14
CD Freak

Affordable Digital Cameras have definitely changed the way we live.

When traveling to new places, I find that I have to completely "put down" the camera for at least a full day to enjoy the experience and visuals completely with my own eyes.
Old 26-08-2005   #15
MyCE Resident

it seems kind of like the saying about 700 monkeys with 700 typewriters... you get a lot of junk but you may get the works of shakespeare. honestly though it is not usually the subjects that suck it is the composition/framing of the pics.

as proof of my true freak heritage even my camera is a cdburner

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

-- Current optical hardware
  • Maddog Megastor 16x (Nec 3500) x2
  • Nec 3540
  • Liteon 1633 USB Ext (scanning and ripping only)
  • Liteon 48161H
  • Liteon 52246 USB Ext
-- Retired:
  • Maddog DOMINATOR 8x (Nec 2500) x2
  • benq 1620 (returned) nice catch quickee , 4012EU
  • Liteon 811s, 411s, 48161H usb 2.0 ext, 52246, 48246, 40125, ltd-163
  • LG 8400, 8163
  • Plex r820ti
  • S& F Rocket RW (Sanyo RW1) Ext Scsi x 2,SpeedWriter 4012 (teac r55s) Ext Scsi
  • Hp 7200E
cnlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005   #16
MyCE Resident

I have 2 main cameras also, a Sony Dsc-85 4 meg and a old Canon AE1 Program with a medium and long zoom. When I'm doing critical stuff like air Shows and Drag racing and like that I use the old Canon for the nice zoom and fast ISO. When I go to a car show, zoo, party, hoiliday, whatever I use the Sony digital. Easier to use and if I don't like the shot I can erase it in the camera and try again, plus I can fiddle with settings easily and see imidiate results. And no film to buy or pay to process is nice, too bad their memory is proprietary and a bit more spendy. I want to get a Digital SLR some day soon then I can kinda merge the cameras for the best of both.
For all out visual quality a properly done analog film shot is still probably best depending on film speed and things but digital can be excellent with the semi pro slr's out now.
Dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005   #17
CDFreaks Resident

i've got a Nikon F90 35mm and a Sony Cybershot DSC-P9 (4mp)...much prefer shooting with my 35mm, but obviously the P&S digicam is more convenient...

the question of deleting "bad" photographs has been mulled over by many, but for the most part i think digital has come a long way and been a blessing for the average consumer and professional alike...
Plextor PX-716A / Plextor PX-Premium / Samsung SD-816B ROM / OCZ 520ADJ PowerStream / Kingwin KT424SWM

AMD A64 Winchester 3200+ / Thermalright XP-90 / ASUS A8V Dlx r2 / OCZ PlatR2 (2x512)
WD740GD 2*74GB Raptor (RAID0) / WD2500SD/JD 2*250GB SATA / Seagate 2*160GB PATA / Maxtor OneTouchII 300GB Ext (Firewire)
ATI X800XL / Viewsonic VP201s 20.1"LCD / Creative SBAudigy2ZS Plat / Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1
Plextor PX-716A / Plextor PX-708UF / BenQ 1640 / OCZ 520ADJ PowerStream / Lian-Li V1000B
drpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005   #18
CD Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnlson
as proof of my true freak heritage even my camera is a cdburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman
...and a old Canon AE1
Nice one Darty, does that one burn at 8x on your NEC?
Old 26-08-2005   #19
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-ehn
Since digital (photo) cameras have become quite cheap, everybody's getting one. Some people even have more than 1 cam (//me whistles innocently). Of course, digital camera's offer quite a lot of ease over the analog camera's. But, as shooting pics has become practically free (once you payed for the hardware of course), people seem to be shooting pics like their lives depend on it. As it doesn't cost anything, lots of ppl don't take the time to think about what they shoot, but they just keep on clicking. I find this a major downside to affordable digital cameras. On the other hand, there is lots of good stuff too (easier, faster and better workflow, multipurpose devices etc).

What do you think: did the digicams contribute to the world? Didn't they hurt the fact that photography is (and remains) an art?
I just recently bought the Canon Powershot A510 which is absolutely fine for me, since I just use it for quick pics for family emails, parties, etc. It has some more advanced manual settings, if I felt like trying them out someday. In my opinion, photography for the sake of art is in no danger from the cheap digital craze. 99% of the people who are buying all these cheap cameras aren't using them to take magazine-worthy shots. They buy for the same reason as me, most likely; it's so much easier and convenient when you don't have to take the film in for processing, you can see and delete any bad shots immediately, etc. They mostly want to take a quick picture of a memory. These people are still going to take their family in for holiday photos at Olan Mills, Sears, whatever. They still realize that when you want a quality keepsake photo, you go to a professional with a film camera. As for artistic shots, I belong to a family of photographers. My father was almost religious when it came to his camera, lenses, accessories, etc. He loved photography, but didn't live long enough to see the new technology that most certainly would have excited him like a little boy. He would have bought the best manual digital camera available, and would have spent hours taking pictures of flowers, insects, and people, just like he did with his old cameras. My aunt and her children are also avid digital photographers. They understand all the technical stuff about aperture, lighting, and shutter speed. Every photo they've ever emailed me has blown me away with simple beauty. These people know how to photograph. I think digital cameras are just another tool that real photographers can use to make art, and amateurs can use for dead easy snapshots.

If you give a flying fart in the wind what I look like, look here

I hate having women's hormones sometimes...
MaphistoFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005   #20
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesociety

Nice one Darty, does that one burn at 8x on your NEC?
Naw it burns on the 1620, the 40 is still having teething pains :P
I needed a good film camera for a drag race I was going to and my old Canon had battery problems so I bought that one refurbished for 200. Great optics but auto focus would be nice. I had the 2 lenses so didn't want to try another brand.
Dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005   #21
MyCE Resident

Most phones sold today in South Korea are also digital cameras so more and more people take pictures with phones than dedicated cameras. Though a lot of people still believe phones are just not good enough to compete against "real" cameras, that's not the important point. The big difference is that most people carry phones when they are in subway cars, taxi, on the streets, at home, etc. with them but not camera-only devices. Digital cameras have helped making photography ubiquitous. Camera phones have helped making it even more ubiquitous. They are also rapidly replacing dedicated camcorders.
Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005   #22
Optical Media Freak

99% of mobile phones here in Japan come with camera functions and everywhere you can see people shooting around with their phone. But the camera in phones is often 2mega pixels or less. On the other hand these phones with camera created some new kind of crime too. People started to take pictures of pages in a magazine in the bookstore (take a copy and dont buy it) and other things....
Old 26-08-2005   #23
MyCE Resident

Phones with 5-megapixel to 7-megapixel camera and 640*480 30fps features are increasingly common in South Korea. Under South Korean law, all mobile camera phones must be designed to make easily identifiable sound when taking pictures in order to discourage their users from taking unwanted pictures, especially inside subway cars where there are literally hundreds of people with camera phones around any one person during rush hours. There are tricks to disable the sound or at least nearly kill it but the new law surely prevented millions of crimes that are never caught.
Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005   #24
Optical Media Freak

YEah its law over here too that digicams (phones too) make some kind of sound when shooting pictures but its very easy to remove that feature...
Old 26-08-2005   #25
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
What do you think: did the digicams contribute to the world?
Yes, I think it did. Even before digital photography, I think that the leisure photography had become the main application of photography in the general public. Case in point: look at all those cheap disposable film cameras that were so popular before digital. So for the large portion of the population who don't know what a shutter speed is, digital is great because it'll allow them to do what they've always been doing with greatly reduced cost.

Quote:
Didn't they hurt the fact that photography is (and remains) an art?
No, I don't think so. The people who treat photography as an art will still shoot seriously and will still take the time to do things right. The people who go about using digital cameras in a carefree manner are the people who would've done the same with film anyway, so I don't think that behavior has fundamentally changed.

I used to not know anything about aperature, shutter speed, etc. Then I got a digital camera, and because there is no film cost, I decided to take advantage of that and learn about it, so I started to read various tutorials and guides on photography and playing around and experimenting with what I can do. I would not have done this with film because of the film cost, development cost, and (most importantly, I think) the lag between shooting a picture and seeing the result. So in this respect, I think that digital cameras are probably the best way for someone who knows nothing about photography as an art to start learning a little about it.

Quote:
There are multiple things to do to overcome the problems of slow shutter speeds.
I think that by far one of the best $10 USD investment that I ever made was buying this. It's small and portable enough (when folded, it's smaller than my camera) that I can just hook it to my belt or put it in my pocket, and it can be deployed pretty quickly. And unlike other mini-tripods, it has a velcro strap so I can strap it to signposts or trees if I need height.
"You don't have to be a supporter of freedom of speech to protest when your own ox is being gored. You do have to be a supporter of freedom of speech to protest when the government tries to censor the speech of those who are goring your ox." -Alan M. Dershowitz

LiteOn Stuff: LiteOn F.A.Q. | OmniPatcher | DVD-Writer Overview | Changing Write Strategies | Crossflashing | XFlash Utility
General Stuff: DVD-Writer F.A.Q. | Rules of the Optical Drive Forums | Attaching Scans | The rpc1.org Firmware Database
Code Guys: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/ | send us e-mail

I Use: Firefox + QuickDrag + NoRedirect + URL Flipper | Winamp | CmdOpen Shell Extension | HashCheck Shell Extension
C64K: My Travel Photos | In Retirement...
code65536 is offline   Reply With Quote