Old 28-09-2006   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

BURNED or BURNT?

Hi there!

Lately I'm very worried about something. It is the spelling of the word 'burn' in the past tense.. Is it burNED or burnT? At school they taught me burnt IIRC. But at this forum it is most often spelled as burned.

Please help me! This matter is of utmost importance!
Old 28-09-2006   #2
CD Freaks Boy Toy

Re: BURNED or BURNT?

My guess: Both.

Facebook page: Say NO to overpriced books in Germany

My collection:
Plextor PX-716UF 1.09 (TLA #0202), Optiarc AD-7200A 1.06, Samsung SE-S224Q TS02, Plextor PX-712UF 1.04 (TLA #0104), Plextor PX-708UF2 1.02 (TLA #0102), Optiarc AD-7200A 1.06, Plextor PX-716UF 1.07 (TLA #0307), Lite-On LH-18A1H HL05, Philips JackRabbit JR32RWDVK P1.3, Philips JackRabbit JR24CDRW 1.01, LG GH22NP20 2.00, Matshita UJ-898 HC10, Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0D, Plextor PX-716UF 1.11 (TLA #0204), LG GSA-H22N 1.00, Plextor PX-716A 1.09 (TLA #0309)
+ Plextor PX-716A 1.09 (TLA #0309), BenQ DW1655 BCDB, Samsung TS-L632B TM31, Lite-On LTR-16101B TS0W
Lite-On SHM-165P6SU MS0P (mechanical failure), Plextor PX-708UF2 1.?? (TLA #0102) (DVD optical part died), LG GSA-H10N @ H12N UJ12 (broken tray), BenQ DW1650 BCIC (sold), Lite-On SHW-16H5S @ 1635S YS0Z (lost in a fire), LG GCE-8527B 1.04 (optical part died), Samsung TS-L632H SC04 (sold), Canon Pixma iP4300 (printer head broken)
kg_evilboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006   #3
CDFreaks Resident

Americans like to use the -ed suffix, while the British sometimes use -t, for example: burned vs. burnt.

Language can get wild. For example, "alot" versus "a lot".
jeff53404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006   #4
Senior Moderator

Both are correct.

http://www.answers.com/topic/burn

platinumsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

I burned a grilled-cheese sandwich today
- It was burnt to a crisp .

Last edited by shannon90210; 28-09-2006 at 20:46.
shannon90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006   #6
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon90210
I burned a grilled-cheese sandwich today
- It was burnt to a crisp .

LOL

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006   #7
MyCE Member

No! to all of above
You either say I BURNED a CD or whatever, OR
you say
I HAVE burnt a cd....he has burnt a cd etc...
burned is the PAST TENSE of burn, whereas BURNT is the past participle of burn and must be preceded by the appropriate form of "to have", that is have or has ....

the form " I have burnt" usually denotes that you did it continually for a while in the past
there is a distinction but nowadays burnt and burned are often used interchangeably to denote "I burned"
moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006   #8
CE Freak

To me burnt has a connotation of something that went all black and smelly from too much heat. I prefer discs that were burned.
Cressida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006   #9
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moen
No! to all of above
You either say I BURNED a CD or whatever, OR
you say
I HAVE burnt a cd....he has burnt a cd etc...
burned is the PAST TENSE of burn, whereas BURNT is the past participle of burn and must be preceded by the appropriate form of "to have", that is have or has ....

the form " I have burnt" usually denotes that you did it continually for a while in the past
there is a distinction but nowadays burnt and burned are often used interchangeably to denote "I burned"
They can be both simple past and past participle.

http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/BURNT

platinumsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006   #10
New on Forum

Wow....There have got to be tons of other words like that. LOL. I know for some reason I got hung up on the word Slippery.
pantsonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006   #11
CD Freaks Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumsword
They can be both simple past and past participle.
Completely true, but Elements of Style (definitive work on Grammar) tends to go with burned as past tense and burnt as past participle.
That being said, English English tends to use burnt for both, and American English tends to use burned. Not sure where the Canadians stand.

Self confessed grammar pedant.... I'm off to conjugate some verbs now
Old 29-09-2006   #12
CE Freak

People spend a lot of effort on silly things...
BeardedKirklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006   #13
CD Freaks Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedKirklander
People spend a lot of effort on silly things...
LOL! True though.... Can't help it, I'm a pedant

We could also consider the verbs to mow, bend, tear and spell.
Maybe I should just go get some sleep now
Old 29-09-2006   #14
CE Freak

It reminds me of the whole "Viruses or Virii" argument from way back.
BeardedKirklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006   #15
CD Freaks Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedKirklander
It reminds me of the whole "Viruses or Virii" argument from way back.
I am going to keep well away from that thread

I'd probably just end up arguing with myself.
(Surely it couldn't have been "virii" because that would mean the stem was Virius? I remember some latin from school.)

NO STOP NOW!!!

Definitely going to get some sleep this time.
Prof. Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006   #16
MyCE Member

Dear Prof...Casa alba est. Oh sorry for that, wish I could forget what little Latin I learned in the '60's- must have been the summer of private tutoring I had -my entire soph. class was told that our current inflictor of estes & sunt would continue to torture us as juniors at the new high school. We actually believed that old xxx. I mean, would a teacher actually lie? My D grade just had to improve so- it was tutoring for me & yes she stayed at the old high school. Both my daughter & hubby have burnt more cheese sands than ever I want to count.
cedrich999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006   #17
MyCE Resident

Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)

Please punctuate the following:

George where Peter had had had had had had had had had had had the examiners approval
A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006   #18
MyCE Resident

Now I'm going to put on my old teacher's hat for a second...

"I have a burnt cd." (usage: noun)
"I burned a cd." (usage: verb)
Stroppy likes FOOD!
Oh the pain, the pain... William!
Where is that Bubble-Headed Booby?
stroppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006   #19
CD Freaks Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimator
Please punctuate the following:

George where Peter had had had had had had had had had had had the examiners approval
I give you... in the style of William Shatner...

George, where; Peter... Had, had, had... Had; had, had: had, had, had, had, had, the; examiners. Approval...

Cedrich999 - I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one tortured with Latin!
Old 29-09-2006   #20
Letiled Modelatol

This calls, for, immediate, action! Spock, set course, 205, point, 342! We, will, suprise these, nasty scumbags! Where is, my, tea?
  • bcn_246: "Wales are shitty animals to, all they do is swim around and make funny noises that people cant hear."
  • You really should join us on IRC! IrcNet, #cdfreaks-int | Or go here
  • Fear my massive avatar history log! Not updated!
  • "But do they keep increasing in size like mine?" - kwkard
Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006   #21
CD Freaks Boy Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Honeydew
I am going to keep well away from that thread

I'd probably just end up arguing with myself.
(Surely it couldn't have been "virii" because that would mean the stem was Virius? I remember some latin from school.)
It's virii if you're talking about a computer virus.
It's viruses if you're talking about a real-life virus.
That's what I think

Wikipedia has an article dedicated to the plural form of virus.

"While the word viruses is more often used in medical and professional literature, the virii form remains popular in some Internet communities."

Funny part from Wikipedia: (Isn't it English and not english?)

Quote:
It is possible that some users of the form virii are purposely distancing themselves from Tom Christiansen, who has used his fame as an authority on Perl to dominate discussion of the topic. Since Mr. Christiansen has no standing as an etymologist, has no authority to dictate proper english usage, has no standing in the virus research community other than as a Perl expert, and has no medical or biology credentials, virus researchers see a case of False Authority Syndrome.

Facebook page: Say NO to overpriced books in Germany

My collection:
Plextor PX-716UF 1.09 (TLA #0202), Optiarc AD-7200A 1.06, Samsung SE-S224Q TS02, Plextor PX-712UF 1.04 (TLA #0104), Plextor PX-708UF2 1.02 (TLA #0102), Optiarc AD-7200A 1.06, Plextor PX-716UF 1.07 (TLA #0307), Lite-On LH-18A1H HL05, Philips JackRabbit JR32RWDVK P1.3, Philips JackRabbit JR24CDRW 1.01, LG GH22NP20 2.00, Matshita UJ-898 HC10, Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0D, Plextor PX-716UF 1.11 (TLA #0204), LG GSA-H22N 1.00, Plextor PX-716A 1.09 (TLA #0309)
+ Plextor PX-716A 1.09 (TLA #0309), BenQ DW1655 BCDB, Samsung TS-L632B TM31, Lite-On LTR-16101B TS0W
Lite-On SHM-165P6SU MS0P (mechanical failure), Plextor PX-708UF2 1.?? (TLA #0102) (DVD optical part died), LG GSA-H10N @ H12N UJ12 (broken tray), BenQ DW1650 BCIC (sold), Lite-On SHW-16H5S @ 1635S YS0Z (lost in a fire), LG GCE-8527B 1.04 (optical part died), Samsung TS-L632H SC04 (sold), Canon Pixma iP4300 (printer head broken)
kg_evilboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006   #22
Senior Moderator & Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_evilboy
It's virii if you're talking about a computer virus.
It's viruses if you're talking about a real-life virus.
That's what I think
"While the word viruses is more often used in medical and professional literature, the virii form remains popular in some Internet communities."
Yes I think this is a fair description of how the terms are used. As a virologist we always refer to "viruses", and "virii" is more or less used in a joking and colloquial way.

I have never heard anyone in the profession use "virii" without suffering an appropriately huge and immediate credibility loss .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

So what are you waiting for? Click the smiley to join -->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006   #23
CDFreaks Resident

Ok, how about a little question to the British experts: is it still get- got- gotten there to the east?
FidelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006   #24
CD Freaks Die Hard

kg_evilboy - False Authority Syndrome! HaHaHa!! I love the sound of that.

I may be suffering from "Ellipsisy"... partly from looking at Airhead's avatar, and partly from punctuating in the style of Shat Man...
Oh, sure, it starts out as a joke..a novelty even... but then you find yourself using ellipsis all over the place... See.. the end results are... devastating...

p.s. virii may be stupid but it sounds more fun than viruses.
Old 30-09-2006   #25
MyCE Resident

Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)

As an English teacher (admittedly in my spare time), I would love to deal with several issues that have been raised here, but I´m too busy laughing my arse (ass for some) off.
Please don´t stop.
A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote