Old 17-03-2010   #1
Batchshrink Author

Any ideas where I can sell a crossbow?

A total random, but I've got a Barnett Commando crossbow gathering dust on top of my wardrobe and I'd like to pass it on to a responsible new owner. Does anybody have any idea where I can sell it? Ebay and gumtree won't let me list (in the UK at any rate).

From what I've seen via google, this bow is no longer in production and quite sought after.

Slainte

midders
"Some people bring happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go" - Oscar Wilde
midders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Any ideas where I can sell a crossbow?

I guess Survivalistboards.com might be a good place. Strange you can't place it on Ebay though, ever tried to contact them why?
Old 18-03-2010   #3
Retired Moderator

Is it legal for you to be in possession of such a weapon in your jurisdiction? If not, I wouldn't announce publicly that you have it.

AFAIK in Denmark you would need a license to own a working crossbow, or you can probably go to jail.
Old 18-03-2010   #4
Batchshrink Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere View Post
I guess Survivalistboards.com might be a good place. Strange you can't place it on Ebay though, ever tried to contact them why?
Ebay UK doesn't allow the sale of weapons, sporting or otherwise. If I were in the US it would be a different matter. Thanks for the link; I did actually find that one via google, but am thinking the postage to Louisiana might be prohibitively expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester
Is it legal for you to be in possession of such a weapon in your jurisdiction?
Yes, it's perfectly legal to own crossbows in the UK with no licence required; it's only recently that the minimum age of ownership was raised from 16 to 18. You are not permitted to use them for hunting, though, only target practice on your own land or a recognized club.

As an aside, there is an old law in the UK (no longer enforced) that states:
"In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day". This stems back to the days of Agincourt when the arrows in flight used to blackout the sun.

Slainte

midders
"Some people bring happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go" - Oscar Wilde
Old 18-03-2010   #5
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by midders View Post
"In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day".
So are you performing your two hours of longbow practice a day? If not, I wouldn't announce publicly that you don't.
Old 18-03-2010   #6
Batchshrink Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester View Post
So are you performing your two hours of longbow practice a day? If not, I wouldn't announce publicly that you don't.
LOL

In Chester, there is a medievel law that any englishman can shoot at and kill any welshman within the city walls if they are seen out after midnight. But they can only kill them with a crossbow.

Not sure I'd like to put that one to the test, though...
Old 18-03-2010   #7
Retired Moderator

Maybe you should keep your crossbow just in case you find yourself in Chester after midnight with an annoying Tom Jones? It's not unusual!
Old 06-04-2010   #8
MyCE Resident

You can try the Black forest, just ask for Little John.But seriously there legal in the U.S. a lot of the handicap and old people use them to deer hunt.
marloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #9
Dee
Senior Administrator and Reviewer

There are some crazy old laws.
One which is on TV ads at the moment states that it is illegal for a female to consume chocolate on public transport.

MyCE SSD Reviews

To become a member of MyCE.com just click here to join
The Forum Rules | The SSD FAQ | The NEC/Optiarc F.A.Q. | Liggy & Dee's NEC/Optiarc Firmware Page
Dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #10
MyCE Resident

Does the UK have an craigslist equivalent?
justcallmebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010   #11
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
There are some crazy old laws.
One which is on TV ads at the moment states that it is illegal for a female to consume chocolate on public transport.
The effects of a "beautiful women" eating chocolate on public transpiration can be hazardous. Especially if the pull up their nylons or "act womanly" in any way shape of form. That's why women should be in Burkas. Clear plastic ones with a solid stripe over the eyes, so they won't know we are looking. What they want to wear under these Burkas should be totally optional.

Connecticut has really weird "blue laws" on the books and there are actually a couple of "dry towns " left.
Zathros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010   #12
Batchshrink Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmebob View Post
Does the UK have an craigslist equivalent?
Mais bien sur, mon ami! But... (from the prohibited items list):
Weapons and related items, including but not limited to firearms, disguised, undetectable or switchblade knives, martial arts weapons, scopes, silencers, ammunition, ammunition magazines, BB guns, tear gas or stun guns.

It's possible that it may be permitted under sporting equipment, but most sites consider it a weapon. I can't think why...
Old 10-04-2010   #13
MyCE Resident

Write the Queen and ask her if she would like to buy it since the law does not allow you to sell it on eBay
samlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010   #14

If you still have the bow for sale i would be interested in it . Thanks .
sky521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010   #15
MyCE Member

Have you tried in World of Warcraft or in Sherwood?

P.S.: I would try in one of the recognized clubs. It would be sold quickly (newcomers, collectors, etc.)

"The ancient war between science and religion is over."

 MacBook Air
Illuminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010   #16
MyCE Resident

@midders ,If you do still have the crossbow & decide to sell it to a member like sky521 .
You sure want to check the laws in your country & the one you will be shipping it to.
Where sale of the crossbow & ownership may be legal.It must be legal in the UK as you bought it somewhere. Just make sure the sale is according to UK law with whatever registration from you to the new owner done.
In the US there would be no problem with selling or owning it. There might be some unConstitutional laws in NYC that would restrict sale & ownership.
The problem will probably be shipping restrictions. A partial disassembly may make the difference. After all a disassembled weapon is not really a weapon. Also you may need to ship the bolts(arrows) seperately as they may be considered ammunition. You may not be able to legally ship them at all & the purchaser would need to buy them in his locality.
Old 08-02-2012   #17

I know how old this post is, but did you manage to sell it? I live in Denmark and have a license..
ricejono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012   #18

Dear Midders,

Did you ever sell the crossbow that you posted about. I'm looking for that model of crossbow specifically (because I had borrowed on and it got stolen). If you still have it please email me on [address removed].

Thanks

Paul Anthony

Last edited by Wombler; 22-08-2012 at 21:57. Reason: Removed email address
blag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012   #19
Retired Moderator

Yo blag00

Not a very good idea to post your email address in a forum you can be targeted by spammers, hopefully the moderator in chargew will be kind and remove it for you.

SJ
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote